PDA

View Full Version : POD printer with quickest turnaround?

HeroStreet Press
06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
I have had to deal with a few technical issues before placing my POD orders for Heroes Con. I'm playing it WAY too close to the wire for my tastes and I'd like to know which POD seems the most likely to get me the books before the convention.

I've hedged my bets and placed an order with Ka-Blam, but if there are any faster printers out there, I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Eric Miller
Publisher
HeroStreet Press

L Jamal
06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
I always discuss shipping time before sending a book to press.
To get faster turnaround time, you'll have to deal with POD printers outside those catering to specifically to comics.

MrGranger
06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
RapidPOD had my order to me in 4 days.

HeroStreet Press
06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
How was the quality? Has anyone else used RapidPOD?

MrGranger
06-06-2006, 08:19 PM
My personal feeling is that it's equal to Comixpress & Ka-Blam. I think they all look good.

HeroStreet Press
06-06-2006, 08:31 PM
RapidPOD looks decent and is within driving distance if necessary, so I'm definitely giving them a call tomorrow. Very much appreciated.

Paul Sanderson
06-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Most PODs are pretty much of similar, good quality. That's one of their selling points.

sjbeem
07-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Very happy with ka-blam. We uploaded files on July 8 and received our order last Friday, 7/28. This amidst the San Diego madness.

Quality is excellent, with only a few very minor issues. They get my recommendation.

Awesomus Prime
07-31-2006, 10:45 AM
What were the issues? I find Ka-blam seems to have the lowest prices which makes me weary of them.

sjbeem
08-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Two instances of very slight seperation lines on color pages. Not worth getting upset about, but the perfectionist in me prevents me from given them an A+. Otherwise they were professional, attentive to emails and questions, and very quick.

We are very pleased.

-Scott

Lynn Lefey
08-02-2006, 09:55 AM
The only quality issue I had with Ka-Blam was a very slight pale line running through my pages, where the blue was a bit less intense. As far as service, I was very happy. I was in no rush though, and don't even remember how long it took to get the books.

I'm going to start another thread about a separate issue I had with the books I got from Ka-Blam. Not an error, but something really weird.

albone
08-02-2006, 10:05 AM
You can get a lot faster turnaround time than 3 weeks with SIPS, but its best to work out the production schedule ahead of time, just in case.

ehobbs
08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
What is SIPS?

albone
08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
What is SIPS?

SIPS (http://www.wedocomics.com/)

crozonia
08-02-2006, 11:20 AM
If you live in a moderate sized city, there should be plenty of print shops that can do it for you cheap, good quality, and 1 day turnaround. And no shipping cost. If you want to do it through Comixpress or Kablam because you want to be in the online store, cool. But if that's not your goal, why bother with the wait?
It doesn't matter that the store is not catered to comic books. In the end, it's still a saddle stitched pamphlet. It's not rocket science. Only an idiot can screw that up.

ryarger
08-02-2006, 01:20 PM
If you live in a moderate sized city, there should be plenty of print shops that can do it for you cheap, good quality, and 1 day turnaround.

I'm in an area with many local printers (Ann Arbor, MI) but haven't found that magic place that will do cheap, good and fast for low (sub 1000) quantities. One place that has bailed me out of missed deadlines by Comixpress has produced really excellent work, really fast in quantities of 50-100, but I had to pay $6+ per copy (B/W with color cover), which is obviously not sustainable!

They have told me, however, that if I were to ratchet up to the 5000+ quantity range, they'd easily be able to beat any POD price out there. But at that quantity, I might as well go with Brenners or Quebecor!

albone
08-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm in an area with many local printers (Ann Arbor, MI) but haven't found that magic place that will do cheap, good and fast for low (sub 1000) quantities. One place that has bailed my out of missed deadlines by Comixpress has produced really excellent work, really fast in quantities of 50-100, but I had to pay $6+ per copy (B/W with color cover), which is obviously not sustainable!

They have told me, however, that if I were to ratchet up to the 5000+ quantity range, they'd easily be able to beat any POD price out there. But at that quantity, I might as well go with Brenners or Quebecor!

I gotta go with ryarger on this. My city sucks for affordable POD. I bet you got it better cuz you're in Canada! :eek:

crozonia
08-02-2006, 03:19 PM
$6 a book? Are trees endangered in Michigan????

Seriously, if you are doing 60 books, you should be able to get 4-6 cents per 8.5"*11" b/w print. Colour prints should range between 49 - 69 cents.
A 32 page ashcan maximum should cost: (B/W 15x6) $0.90 + (Colour Cover) .69 + .25 collating = $1.84 per book. That should be the maximuim cost these days!

My most recent batch of sketch books cost around $1.25 to produce. I got them done at a Canadian chain Grand & Toy, which is similar to Office depot or Staples. They should be pretty cheap in the US.

tcphoto
08-22-2006, 10:13 AM
I recently placed an order with both Ka Blam and Comixpress... I placed a test order for 25 books each from both on a Saturday 08/05/06... by Sunday 08/06/06 (the very next day) Ka Blam had shipped my order. On 08/08/06 I received notification from Comixpress that they had received my order and on 08/10/06 they billed me... on 08/15/06 I wrote to Comixpress to see what was up and was told I was added to the rpint que and should see my books shipped within two weeks of payment or by 08/24/06.... I guess we'll see.

I received my Ka Blam order and was impressed with the inside color quality however the cover was a bit 'yellow' and could have used a shot of blue to bring it back to the file sample... other than that I was very happy.

That said on 08/14/06 I placed a 2nd order with Ka Blam that has been slow to move through the process... files are all good and it just seems their machine (or personel) is not consistant... today I am still qued for print... where I have been for 3 days now... looking at their site... I can see several orders qued yet none actually printing...

Ron Phillips
08-22-2006, 11:22 AM
I recently placed an order with both Ka Blam and Comixpress... I placed a test order for 25 books each from both on a Saturday 08/05/06... by Sunday 08/06/06 (the very next day) Ka Blam had shipped my order. On 08/08/06 I received notification from Comixpress that they had received my order and on 08/10/06 they billed me... on 08/15/06 I wrote to Comixpress to see what was up and was told I was added to the rpint que and should see my books shipped within two weeks of payment or by 08/24/06.... I guess we'll see.

I received my Ka Blam order and was impressed with the inside color quality however the cover was a bit 'yellow' and could have used a shot of blue to bring it back to the file sample... other than that I was very happy.

That said on 08/14/06 I placed a 2nd order with Ka Blam that has been slow to move through the process... files are all good and it just seems their machine (or personel) is not consistant... today I am still qued for print... where I have been for 3 days now... looking at their site... I can see several orders qued yet none actually printing...

Your first order probably hit them at just the right time where they could fit a small ordering in. Speed will fluctuated depending on what kind of projects are in the queue. And it being a small operation staffing is probably an issue too at times.

It's cool that you got such a great turn around with that first order, and overall 2 week turn around isn't that bad.

As for the color issue. Generally this is a pre-press issue. Though I can see since it is a digital copy process that it would be possible that it was due to low toner (or whatever it's called in the printer).

Barry is good people, but then again so is Logan.

Anyway, speaking of printing small runs at OffixMax or Staples. These places have standard copiers, they do not bleed, they do not trim. The most comparible solution is Kinko's, but not as cost effective. I haven't found any printers in my area that do digital printing. All are either large or small off-set printers who can't afford to do small runs.