PDA

View Full Version : will "LOL" be accepted in word balloons by the year 2010?

innocentboy
06-11-2006, 01:42 AM
:slap:

Mr.Musgrave
06-11-2006, 01:58 AM
I seem to remember reading that some comic book out there was using things like "lol" and such. I seem to also remember the reviewer of said book saying very bad things about the editing too, if that tells you anything.

KuzuD
06-11-2006, 10:30 AM
It's going to end up sounding like "rad" from the 90's, "Totally" from the 80's, "women's lib" from the 70's, "groovy" from the 60's, and any other slang.

Or maybe not...Do people actually say LoL to each other in Meat-world?

Gonzogoose
06-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Or maybe not...Do people actually say LoL to each other in Meat-world?

No...they just actually, ya know, laugh... :slap:

It makes no sense to write it in dialogue because dialogue is people speaking. Now if it was an IM or Email conversation within the context of the story and shown on screens then I think it would be totally acceptable in a comic.

kdmelrose
06-11-2006, 10:59 AM
I don't think it'll be accepted as part of regular dialogue, because normal people don't say "LOL" in conversation -- at least not without a healthy dose of irony.

But it could be interesting/amusing to see it used as a clever commentary on the encroachment of the Internet into everyday life, or how instant messaging is gradually replacing actual conversation (just as email replaced letters).

r nelson
06-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't think it'll be accepted as part of regular dialogue, because normal people don't say "LOL" in conversation -- at least not without a healthy dose of irony. I actually used it in a conversation the other day, and yes, with a heavy dose of irony. Or was it sarcasm? Either way, I was discussing the etymology of net-terms and chat-speak with my brother and his brother in law.

But to put it into comic dialogue? Wow. Lazy writing, lazy lettering, lazy editing. :blink:

- Richard

chaosgoat
06-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I think it could become common for dialogue between younger characters. Teenagers, especially, use internet lingo in everyday speech, usually in a joking or distainful tone. My friends and I say 'OMG' and 'WTF' and 'BTW' all the time, albiet not seriously. So, for an accurate depiction of teenagers, such abbreviations can and will be employed on a regualr basis in the next few years.

Gonzogoose
06-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I think it could become common for dialogue between younger characters. Teenagers, especially, use internet lingo in everyday speech, usually in a joking or distainful tone. My friends and I say 'OMG' and 'WTF' and 'BTW' all the time, albiet not seriously. So, for an accurate depiction of teenagers, such abbreviations can and will be employed on a regualr basis in the next few years.

That's a good point. If you catch an episode of some of those teen dramas on mtv they use some strange slang, some coming from internet lingo, so it's possible. But I just don't see it being used on a regular basis or for a serious conversation.

Ron Phillips
06-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Like CG said, I've heard younger people use OMG, LOL, WTF and BRB in conversations.

I think to use it in a script though, you have to keep it in context.

GIRL 1 - YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHO I WAS IM'ING LAST NIGHT.

GIRL 2 - WHO?

GIRL 1 - ROB STAMOS. IT WAS TOO SAD. HIS SCREEN WAS BIGDRAGONLORDLOVER. I WAS WTF! OMG IS ROB A SPAZ OR WHAT?

GIRL 2 - LOL. NO DOUBT. BUT HE'S TOO HOT.

GIRL 1 - OH YEAH. TOTALLY.

Submitted for you amusement, a very unthought out dialogue. LOL.

j giar
06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't even know what to say. :man:
I wouldn't even consider it. It irritates the shit out of me when I see it used on the computer...... I think I need a nap.

chaosgoat
06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
That's a good point. If you catch an episode of some of those teen dramas on mtv they use some strange slang, some coming from internet lingo, so it's possible. But I just don't see it being used on a regular basis or for a serious conversation.

Well of course not for serious conversation. I would smack anyone who really used those terms seriously. Their use is a commentary on the degeneration of the english language, and should only be used as such. Like I said, between teenagers, or a teenager purposefully trying to confuse an adult.

Dave Reynolds
06-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I remember a few years back in an issue of Teen Titans I think, someone was referring to someone's Cell Phone Number and it was lettered "Cell Phone #" and I remember it really standing out and annoying me. Like it's been said, I can see it being said in a joking manner, but to actually use the 133t speak in lieu of the actual words just seems somewhat... Lazy to me.

Of course I go by the rules that you should never abbreviate anything and everything should be spelled out. ("Dr." is "Doctor" and "12" is "Twelve" and so forth.)