PDA

View Full Version : Changing the colours of line art.

TSales
06-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to change the colours of line art? I've figured out a somewhat cumbersome way of doing it using channels, but I'm sure there's an easier way out there.

Not sure if a request like this belongs in another area, oh well.

SeanE
06-13-2006, 01:24 AM
channels are the way to go

Have a look at my Cici tutorial on my webpage

http://www.seanellery.com

but basically...

RGB mode
change to channels pallette
copy blue channel
invert
back to layers pallete
fill existing image with white
new layer
SELECT - LOAD SELECTION - blue copy
...lots of marching ants...
fill with black (or colour of your choice)

THEN at at any stage you can go back to the lineart layer, select the lot and colour in the lineart bits how you like, or redo the SELECT - LOAD step and make as many layers as you like to just colour certain bits and pieces.

such as I did here -->

http://www.seanellery.com/gallery/albums/userpics/hunterkiller2a.jpg

cheers
Sean

Erick Cruz
06-13-2006, 04:09 AM
Well, im not one to argue SeanE's method (as you can see from the example he used) here are a couple of the methods i use:

1. open file, convert to rbg or cmyk if need be

2. copy layer, name the copy "color holds" or "colored line art" whatever is good for you

3. in the "color hold" layer using the lasso select the area you want the line art colored

4. after selecting the area go to image>adjustments>hue/saturation (or hit CTRL+U)

5. at the bottom check the "colorize" box, from there move the saturation to 100, set the lightness between 30 and 40, and use the hue slider to pick the color of the line art

6. while the area i still selected go to the original black line art layer and delete that area, and if you want (before you deselect the area) you can go to the "color holds" layer and hit shit+ctrl+I to invert the selection and delete everything except for that specific area that got colored.

7. make sure the "color holds" layer is above the layer you use to add the colors to the rest of the piece, and make sure it's set to "multiply".

This is a pretty simple way of coloring the line art, you cant add fades or multiple color gradients like in Seans method but it's a start.

The other method i use is similar to Seans:
1. first i adjust the levels (Ctrl+L) to get as pure as a B & W image as posible

2. Then use the magic wand to select all the black in the line art (or select the white area and invert the selection to grab all the black), make sure to go to select>similar to pick up any stray black spots the wand missed.

3. copy it the selection and paste it onto a new layer, now all that you have is a new layer with just the black line art minus the white.

From there it's up to you how you pick and choose your areas, what i do is select all the black with the magic wand, then using the lasso tool with the "add to selection" or "subtract to selection" (mostly the subtract) options i work my way until all that is left selected is what i want to color.

again since most coloring using layers requires the line art layer be set at "multiply" i delete the selected area in the regular black line art so it wont show up in the final image.

mudcat
06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
I work in layers, but the easiest way for me is to get on my lineart layer. Then go to Select > Load Selection and set it for the layer yer lineart's on. Now make a new layer over the lineart, grab a brush, and color in the areas you want. I do it this way so that I can add some shading to the colorhold.

If I'm just wanting a solid color, I do pretty much the same thing, except after I have my selection on my new layer, I'll lasso out all the areas I don't want colored, and then just do a fill with the color I'm needing.

Mecha
06-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't colour often but sometimes I play with monotones and shade the lines for it.... what I do is the method I use for bluelining images for inking though. Change it from Greyscale to Bitmap to RGB or CMYK, then just click the white part of the image to select it, then select inverse, which grabs everything that's not white :D From there I just colour over the lines and it acts like a Mask :)

Jason Arthur
06-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Ok, maybe I'm way off here, since I'm not a colorist, but...if you want all of the linework to be the same color then couldn't you just select a white area with the magic wand tool and choose Select>Inverse then just ALT-DELETE to the color you want?

-- J