PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Magazine: How To's and What Do You Use?

BillNichols
06-16-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm looking at the elements of what goes into making comics and part of that are the tools and paper, whatever it takes to physically make comics. Inker Bob Almond is writing articles and covering some of this in his INKBLOTS continuing feature, but I want more...

When I was coming up, I would've wanted to know this stuff, so I hope somebody else does, too...anybody?

Thoughts? Comments?

BillNichols
10-06-2006, 06:50 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the first issue of Sketch Magazine with Bob's Inkblots has just come out...actually, there are two columns this time to start the whole thing off and he has more coming...

I'm still interested in other How To's...and the brands you use, etc...

DungeonMasterJm
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Hello Bill,

For paper, I try to use Strathmore whenever possible. Of course, I have a slightly skewed favoritism for them because I use to work there.

Of course, it all depends on what kind of picture I'm working on. Sketching can be almost any paper. However, if I plan on using the picture in print I always try to use a heavier paper than can hold ink or a wet media that could saturate the paper. I always hate it when ink coverage causes the paper to start to curl or warp.

Because I have a decent stock of it I use Strathmore Bristol Smooth 300 (or higher) because that's my favorite overall paper.

When just walking around with a sketch book (like sneaking one into work :har: ), I prefer a spiral bound book these days instead of a glued pad. I don't like to remove pages from glued pads and have them possibly slip out of the pad if I'm drawing on a new page.

DM Jim