PDA

View Full Version : Convention Question

daweir
06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Question regarding conventions:

What, specifically, is the difference between Artist Alley Registration and Small Press registration?

theflash
06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
other than $500 bucks, the Small Press booths are on the main floor, while the artist alley is in another room of the convention center, at least in Dallas.

daweir
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks. I figured that was pretty much it.

I'll be pimping my book at 2 cons this year, and I was just wondering if I'd signed up for the right thing by going artist alley, even though I'm the creator/writer and not the one doing the actual illustration. But then I remember that Peter David had an artist alley table, so how can I go wrong?

So I take it you're in Texas, Flash?

EDIT: I guess a quick peek at your MySpace profile would have told me that. Duh

4-9-studios
06-20-2006, 06:19 PM
in San Diego you have to submit artwork for artist alley. there are certain requirement for AA, usually Professionals are there.. Small Press cost $300 and is more open to anyone.

crozonia
06-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, the terms in San Diego are a bit different than everywhere else. It can be confusing. The small press tables in San Diego are equivalent to Artist Alley tables at other cons. Around the same price $300.
The Artist Alley tables in San Diego are juried. And you can only sell original artwork at these tables.
The small press booths in Chicago are a nice intermediary from Artist Alley to Corporate booths. But at $850, are you going to be able to sell 600 book min. to make it worth it?

theflash
06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks. I figured that was pretty much it.

I'll be pimping my book at 2 cons this year, and I was just wondering if I'd signed up for the right thing by going artist alley, even though I'm the creator/writer and not the one doing the actual illustration. But then I remember that Peter David had an artist alley table, so how can I go wrong?

So I take it you're in Texas, Flash?

EDIT: I guess a quick peek at your MySpace profile would have told me that. Duh

lol yep, i will be in Texas for sure. right now i live out of state, but i am hoping to return to the land of my birth this summer for good. can't wait for that con! always a good time!