PDA

View Full Version : Question for colorist.

omega sentry
06-27-2006, 01:05 AM
OK would love to know what is the best res for comic pages to be color at. I've worked with some colorist that color at print size.
Of course I know that some companies work with the original art board size. Which would be 11 x 17 with a save area of 10 X 15.

Which is best print size or art board size?

DirtiusMaximus
06-27-2006, 01:35 AM
"At print size" is nearly meaningless unless you also have the resolution. Let me explain. A document in Photoshop is formatted both by resolution and by physical print size. Both of these together are taken into account in the digital size of the image.

Let's say, for instance, that you are printing a page at the size of 6x9. Typically, if you are coloring for print, you want the resolution to be at least at 200 ppi (pixels per inch) or it will print like crap. If, however, the file is set up at 10x15 (the size at which most professional comics are drawn), you can get away with coloring at a lower resolution because the print size will be smaller.

Generally, the higher the resolution, the better quality the print, up to a point. Printers are also limited on their print resolution.

Anyway, it might be more useful to look at the actual pixel dimensions. This may also make clearer what I said above. An image that is 10x15 at 200 ppi resolution has pixel dimensions of 2000x3000. That same image at 400 ppi resolution has pixel dimensions of 4000x6000. That's the real measure of the digital size of the file.

You can shrink the print size and increase the resolution and still maintain the same pixel dimensions. Taking our file that is 4000x6000 (10x15 at 400 ppi), for instance, we can change the print size to 6x9 and the resolution to 666.66 and the pixel dimensions remain a 4000x6000.

So that's what I mean when I say that print size says nothing about the size of the file that is being colored.

jimmycakes
06-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, I usually find out from the printer/publisher what res they want the final res in and work from there.

If they have no idea, I usually color full size at 300dpi and reduce it to comic size 300dpi. Most places don't ask or print much higher.

I do scan the original line art in a 600dpi and occasionally color at that scan, only so I don't get too much stair stepping. But not many people notice the difference.