PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Magazine: Local Library Project

BillNichols
06-30-2006, 04:44 AM
I'm wondering about how your local library is set up for comics material, whether it be reprint collection books, graphic novels, how to's, even collections of Garfield or Calvin and Hobbes?

The next time you're by the library, check out the 741-something of the Dewey Decimal System and see what they have. Anything? Then think what you might find that you can add to that. Convention season is upon us and you might find some great deals on some graphic novels and reprint stuff that you can contribute. Maybe talk to the librarians there and see what they might be interested in...

Think about how cool it would've been if somebody had done that for you years ago...

Think about it...

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
06-30-2006, 09:12 AM
I think j giar had a thread about this not long ago... you might ask him. If you want to know what's in our little library up here in a small town in Quebec, well let's see we have Garfield (in French) one of my kids' favorite, Asterix, Yoko Tsuno, Yakari, a spy guy thing I don't remember the name, and many many others all in French for kids. For the adults, there are a few series from France like Betlegeuse, and I forget the titles of the others, which is a shame because one of them was actually quite good until the last book - the ending was so rotten, I just threw a fit. :laugh: There are no Eglish books except for the few of mine that I grudgingly decided to donate to the library. I mentioned to them that it would be great to have some more in English, and they say yes but I haven't seen anything yet. Perhaps I should give them some website addresses?

BillNichols
07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
That would be a good idea. The local libraries here have mostly reprints of old newspaper comics strips, a graphic novel or two and maybe the Overstreet Price Guide...gotta work on that...

jamjason
07-06-2006, 10:29 AM
My library recently started providing graphic novels and trade paper backs. I absolutely love it. I finally get to read all the stuff i couldn't afford or didn't want to commit dollars to. I just finished "Mad Night" by Richard Sala. I thought that story was fabulous. Excellent writing and illustrations. My library also provides a vast array of strip collections and how-to draw books for juvenile and adult. The juvenile section has some great how-to draw books, the kind I wished I had access to as a youngster. But I live in Montucky and I am afraid the red-neck hillbillies will torch my dear library the first chance they get.

BillNichols
07-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Montucky...?

BillNichols
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Well, last night at another local library, I came across the following graphic novels/tpb's:
Kingdom Come, The Watchmen, Marvel and DC's Amalgam, a Superman, a Batman and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol 1 and 2. Quite suprising and I'm impressed! This gives me hope for such things!