PDA

View Full Version : Webcartoonists

darrell31316
07-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Question for any and all webcartoonists on the board. Do you prefer to actually write out a panel by panel script or synopsis before beginning to draw your strip or do you just go at it? I especially would like to hear from those of you who do adventure-type strips. Thanks (and enjoy your weekend).

:slap:

Kep!
07-02-2006, 11:58 AM
that would depend ENTIRELY on how I wanted the strip to flow. Typically, I work in ongoing story format, so I like to have the entire arc worked out...at least in tight outline...before the art begins. As I letter as well as write, I'm more apt to do loose diag before the art and tighten it up afterwards to match the flow of the art...my logic is it allows the art to grow organically. That's what I tell myself at least.

If you're doing all the work yourself, I recomend you do whatever feels best to you. I rarely write a full script if I'm doing the art (shutter), but if someone else is doing it, I make Alan Moore look suscinct. But the way you manage your work flow is just that, the way YOU manage it. I recomend you try it several ways and see what you like...because you're going to get 10 answers from 5 people here...we all work very differently.

Good luck!

Shishio
07-02-2006, 12:48 PM
What I do is keep a list I have jotted down keywords and phrases on so that I do not forget my ideas, because I am much too lazy to write a full synopsis of every idea. The list looks something like this:

One-liners Ideas:

- Masturbate Screaming Shannon's Name
- Preparation H
- Slurpee/Orgasm In Mouth

And so on.

The first item is the idea for the first strip, the second item is for the second and third strips, and the third item is for the seventh strip which is currently on the main page of my site.

Anyway, when I write strips, I refer to my list, pick an idea, and write it out in a panel-by-panel format.

innocentboy
07-02-2006, 01:33 PM
either works for me, depends on the specific situation still

Scott Story
07-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I write a full script, and have it all worked out in advance. I do this primarily because, when I sit down to draw, I don't wan't to be at a loss of what to draw. I'm not chained to the script, and I will occasionally modify it on the fly, but overall I script it all in advance.

Amtekoth
07-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I write the full script, email it to Max in Brazil, he draws the art and emails it back. I letter in Illustrator, paste it into Photoshop and post it on the Lab Bratz (http://labbratz.comicgenesis.com) site.

If Max feels a need to change the flow (more/fewer panels), he does it. Then I adjust the dialogue accordingly.

Works for us!

Ed