PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice?

Larime Taylor
07-08-2006, 01:49 AM
I'm in a wheelchair and will be at SDCC for 1 day (the 22nd) as travel is hard for me, and I'll only have that one day to take my submission pack around to publishers. Any suggestions or ideas on the best way to plan my day? Any advice is helpful.

Thanks!

Jason Arthur
07-08-2006, 02:16 AM
Will you be by yourself?

If possible see if someone will go with you because just traversing the aisles is going to be tough for you with that many people there.

Best of luck on your submissions.

-- J

Larime Taylor
07-08-2006, 02:24 AM
I might have someone with me, and I'm not shy about running people over if need be. :whistlin:

Is it best to go to the publishers' booths directly, or...? I'm an SDCC virgin, here.

Mecha
07-08-2006, 02:27 AM
If you had more than one day I'd tell you to go to the portfolio reviews upstairs but I doubt you want to sit there for 4 hours.

Larime Taylor
07-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Yeah. And it's an original series I'm pitching, not just my personal portfolio or anything.

Emperor Zurg
07-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Next best thing is to get business cards from each of the publishers your interested in and visit Horton Plaza with the Post Office and mail them. That way when the con is over, your submission will be waiting...

Larime Taylor
07-08-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll get by, mobility-wise. I appreciate all the suggestions so far!

Caleb Monroe
07-09-2006, 01:23 PM
When you do talk to someone, even if you give them your samples there at the con, make sure you mail it to them with a follow-up reminder letter as well. Things get lost/forgotten quickly at a place as crazy as SDCC.

Larime Taylor
07-09-2006, 10:59 PM
A very good point.

Well, it looks like mobility won't be too bad - all the publishers I'm submitting to are in the same area, some right next to each other. Yay.

the other mike
07-11-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm in a wheelchair and will be at SDCC for 1 day (the 22nd) as travel is hard for me, and I'll only have that one day to take my submission pack around to publishers. Any suggestions or ideas on the best way to plan my day? Any advice is helpful.

Thanks!

don't know if you know this already or not, but you can avoid the lllooooooong lines upstairs and register at the disabled services in the ground floor. the nice folks there will run up and get your badge for you. :) plus your travelling companion (if you have one) gets in FREE! it'll save loads of time having to line up with all the dirty masses. :happy:

Larime Taylor
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Really? I hadn't seen anything on the companion/assistant getting in free. You certain? If so, that ROCKS.

the other mike
07-13-2006, 03:37 AM
Really? I hadn't seen anything on the companion/assistant getting in free. You certain? If so, that ROCKS.

i've done it the past 2 years and will be doing the same thing this year.
i did not know about it also until i was directed there by a helpful usher.
you pay and fill up the form at the disabled services booth. tell them if you have a companion or assistant. i'm not sure if your assistant will have to register too. i think not. then one of them will run up to the 2nd floor with your form and payment. when they return they will have your badge and goodie bag.
they treat disabled people in san diego con like kings i tells ya! KINGS! :)
... but please, remeber to use your powers for good, not evil. :)

Larime Taylor
07-13-2006, 03:42 AM
That's really cool. Thank you!

MrGranger
07-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Basically I'd reiterate what others have already said. For one day it might be best to get your work around to as many publishers as possible. Get a card from each and every one. They won't remember you from Jack the monkey after the con UNTIL you send them a follow up letter, email with a couple more samples. But after having met them and if they like you, then the memory will be sparked and they are more than likely to read it. One day is hard. Best of luck and hope to see you fly by in San Diego.

SDulaney
07-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Since the one day you're hitting the con is Saturday, all I can add is either try to get onto the floor as soon as you can after getting the badge (thereby being able to move about before the Saturday masses are on the floor full force) or check the programming schedule for Saturday (You can pick out what panels are going to be drawing large numbers of people off the floor). The Other Mike would likely be a better judge, but Saturday is the day every one in San Diego and their brother comes to the show along with the people who were there the last two days. As a result, the main (L to R) aisles can get congested in waves. (Oddly enough, this was mainly in the middle and towards the back of the building last year.) Your numbered aisles where the smaller publishers are set up should be easier to navigate. The crowds are also a great reason to try and get to people early since by 4pm, even the most hardened con veteran is shell shocked.

If you already have some contact info for publishers/editors and can set up meetings ahead of time (even brief 5 to 10 minute "Just wanted to say hi" meetings) try to do that.

Phatman
07-13-2006, 12:06 PM
If you already have some contact info for publishers/editors and can set up meetings ahead of time (even brief 5 to 10 minute "Just wanted to say hi" meetings) try to do that.

This is the best advice. I think if you show up on Saturday it's going to be tough no matter how you do it. Check the portfolio review area schedule ahead of time and find out who is going to be there/what time etc. If you do the DC Talent search thing you aren't going to know if your stuff get's picked for a review until the next day anyway, so you might want to just skip this or just drop some samples off with some editors instead. Good luck.

Larime Taylor
07-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I really appreciate it, guys. Thanks!

MrGranger
07-13-2006, 12:39 PM
And as I've just seen what you're going to bring...well I would advise you to make SURE you hit indy press that does similar stuff. It's great work, but it won't fit everywhere. Spend some time studying who is putting out similar work or styles. Like a horror writer would waste his time talking to all-ages Golden Books, know your audience. I think you've got a great chance at being discovered if you just spend your time wisely and do a lot of the research before you get there. Even print out a map and have a plan of who/when/where you are going.

And please stop by booth 1430 so I can see the work in person.

Larime Taylor
07-13-2006, 12:49 PM
I most certainly will, and I'm glad you liked it!

I've been researching publishers for months, now, and know pretty much who my targets will be.