PDA

View Full Version : I have a whole book for Chicago (advice please)

milweskee
07-10-2006, 12:27 AM
I have a 22-page issue completely produced and I'm trying to get an on-going series with a publisher. I think I have a good shot at Image and maybe Vertigo, or Dark Horse (which will probably make me turn it into a mini-series).

My creative team is going to have a table at the Chicago con, and I'm not quite sure what I should have on the table for people while I'm off trying to mingle with editors. I was thinking of making prints of a "mini" book containing the best preview I can get within 5-6 sequential pages including a pitch on the back cover perhaps. Is that going to be expensive? Even if it is will it be worth the money? Is it even safe to be handing out work that isn't published or anything?

Also, if anyone has any better ideas please share.

Thanks

joshm
07-10-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm doing something similar to this in SD con. I'll be doing a small five page preview to show around and hand out to whom ever will take it. I'll spend 250.00 or so to do it well so it looks good. It will have six to 10 pinups and a few letters I've written to give people an idea of where the book is going and how long it will take me to get it done. I'm also hoping to get picked up by Image or any other subsequent publisher. If you only show a few of the pages it's fine, because Image does this anyway on their website. So, you might end up doing it if they pick you up.

Josh

milweskee
07-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, that's a good way to go about it. It looks like I'll have a large backdrop with the cover as well. Beautiful piece, too.

Now if I only had a website to maintain some interest afterwards...

Back to work!

DungeonMasterJm
07-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi guys,

I forgot where I read it, probably the Image forums, but Erik Larsen doesn't like taking submissions home from cons. In fact, I'm pretty certain he said he just ends up throwing them away because it's a hassle to pack all his own stuff up and doesn't want to pack up further stuff too.

So for Image, I would also consider sending it in via mail in addition to trying at a con.

DM Jim

joshm
07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Jim,

You're right, because I've read that too. I wasn't talking about for submission, which leads me to believe I miss construed milweskee's question. Anyway, what I was meaning was for the fans. I think if you can give your samples to them you can get a nice following. People like free stuff and if you can hook them to your story they'll be checking out your website and watching for your book to come out. At least that's what I think will happen. I wouldn't show an editor a proposal at a con, unless they asked to see it. I would just send it in like any submission. If I'm showing it as a portfolio piece then it can be a nice thing to show, but generally they want to see the originals first.

Josh

milweskee
07-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I was talking about for fans, or potential fan-base in my case.

But I forgot about the Erik Larsen not taking submissions thing actually. Hopefully I forget when I get to the convention, too. :p

That kinda blows. I'm not even sure I like Image though. I can't imagine being an editor and not at least looking at a finished product. You can usually tell right off the bat if it sucks or not. You don't have to placate anyone.

Eh, whatever.

DungeonMasterJm
07-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Whoops! :eek:

Yeah, I did misread the first post. My apologies.

As a fan at a con that has received free stuff, I certainly don't think the mini would hurt. But I can't recall remembering any title or even giving any title a chance after reading a free mini. I usually just make sure I recycle it. But my comic buying list is fairly short so I'm probably not the typical hardcore comics fan.

The free stuff I would keep are pens printed with the logo of your company or comic. Who doesn't use pens?

DM Jim

uncle wya
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
I was talking about for fans, or potential fan-base in my case.

But I forgot about the Erik Larsen not taking submissions thing actually. Hopefully I forget when I get to the convention, too. :p

That kinda blows. I'm not even sure I like Image though. I can't imagine being an editor and not at least looking at a finished product. You can usually tell right off the bat if it sucks or not. You don't have to placate anyone.

Eh, whatever.

You go ahead and keep on not liking Image, it's only the best deal out there. And as DungeonMasterJim said, Erik Larsen isn't into taking home submissions, he never said he's not into looking at them. He will gladly look at whatever you have, he will give you his honest opinion.

Dexxell
07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, you definitely need to have something to give away (or sale) for the con-goers, or your just wasting space. Let's be real, there are a lot of interesting and exciting things for the people at the cons to look at. (Like a goldfish at disneyland?) Unless it's something as tall as an oak, loud as a chainsaw, and multi-breasted, it'll probably be forgotten in 10 minutes.
Having something tangible would help keep your project a little longer in people's thoughts.

Either way, best of luck! I'll be seeing you in artist alley also.

Scribe
07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Congrats on finishing a project!

My advice is production expenses are worth it if they lead to a professional look. I know its trite, but you only get one chance to make a first impression. I approach projects like this thinking its better to go the extra mile for a professional look than to try and save some money.

milweskee
07-11-2006, 02:55 PM
You go ahead and keep on not liking Image, it's only the best deal out there. And as DungeonMasterJim said, Erik Larsen isn't into taking home submissions, he never said he's not into looking at them. He will gladly look at whatever you have, he will give you his honest opinion.

Whoa! Excuse me, lol. I'll try and have him take a look. It's just a misunderstanding on my part, I guess.

Honestly I'm not so concerned with gaining long-term interest with whatever I'm handing out. Just looking for some feedback from a few folks and testing the market during the convention. I honestly don't care if it becomes toilet paper one day.

I'm looking for long-term interest by trying to get published.

Thanks Scribe for your congratulations.

T.J. May
07-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Do you have a website?