PDA

View Full Version : Monitor suggestions

Justin3000
07-10-2006, 01:30 AM
Hey fellas! I'm new around these parts, so I'll give a quick intro. My name's Justin Stewart. I've done some coloring work for Jim Mahfood and Dave Crosland, as well as colored my own stuff.

So, now that that's outta the way, :)...I'm looking to get a new monitor for my G5. I'd like a nice 20.1" widescreen or a 19" that's not too expensive. No more than $400 anyway. So, I was wondering what you guys have or prefer.

Right now, I'm working on an old, 1st generation G4 studio display so basically anything would be an upgrade. :) I'd like to get something that'll give me good color that's as true as can be without losing much in the way of sharpness.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

BKMDog
07-10-2006, 06:06 AM
I've been researching this a lot lately as well ( so I'm interested in any posts in this thread, too ). To date, the tech guys I've talked to seem to indicate that for true color repro on files for print ( comics, magazines, etc. ) the CRT monitor is best. Flat panels, as the technology exists at this point, just don't seem to offer the color repro on screen that can be an accurate indicator of how the file will look on the printed page.

Let me stress that I'd love to hear any info to the contrary about any flat panel monitor that I may not know about.

I tried-out the large 21" Hewlett-Packard for a couple of days and brought that puppy back to the store immediately thereafter. The color display didn't deliver at all in my view, no matter how I adjusted it. And the HP has one of the highest contrast ratios for a flat panel that you can buy, and it was hyper-expensive.

Many of the tech guys I spoke with recommended the Viewsonic CRT. A 19" sells for around what you had in mind as a budget, Justin. I'm thinking about one of those myself. Hope this helps.

Anybody else got any info?

InkblotzArt
07-10-2006, 07:02 AM
I have 2 Samsung Syncmaster 930B 19" LCD monitors and they are very good. The colors onscreen, once calibrated corectly, are very very very close to what comes off printed.

CRT's are still slightly (very slightly) better for the truest color but for me the negatives, size, heat, signal interfearence etc..., out weigh that small advantage. So far I have been very happy with the Samsung's since I got them about 6 or 7 months ago. ;)

~Chris

Justin3000
07-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Cool. Thanks fellas. Yeah, I thought about a CRT as well, but I've got limited deskspace, so that's why I'm looking for a good, mid-range LCD. Getting that studio display off my desk will help me out quite a bit.

I'll take a peek at that Samsung. Sounds good.

Justin3000
07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Found this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001063) you guys. Looks like a good deal.

InkblotzArt
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Yep looks like the ones I have and that is a good deal. :thumbs:

I think I payed $279 for them when I got em.

~Chris

HaphazardJoy
07-11-2006, 12:44 AM
yeah, my advice: go for a larger CRT instead of the smaller and slightly differently displaying flat screen if you can fit it in. My 19" takes 1/3rd of my desk (the other rest is for empty soda cans), and it throws off a bit of heat, but hey, that's a good thing in a New England winter.

the other mike
07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey fellas! I'm new around these parts, so I'll give a quick intro. My name's Justin Stewart. I've done some coloring work for Jim Mahfood and Dave Crosland, as well as colored my own stuff.

So, now that that's outta the way, :)...I'm looking to get a new monitor for my G5. I'd like a nice 20.1" widescreen or a 19" that's not too expensive. No more than $400 anyway. So, I was wondering what you guys have or prefer.

Right now, I'm working on an old, 1st generation G4 studio display so basically anything would be an upgrade. :) I'd like to get something that'll give me good color that's as true as can be without losing much in the way of sharpness.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

i had to upgrade monitors a few moths ago also.
like you, my budget was about $400-500. and i wanted my screen as big as i can get but still in the 400-500 range. i opted for the 20.1 instead of the 19. bigger is better, right?
i bought a VIEWSONIC, 20.1 in, va2012 widescreen from a costco for about $350. costco has their satisfaction guaranteed policy so returns are REALLLL easy.
they have another brand of 20.1 in there, SCEPTRE, for about $325.
you can check DELL's website for their 2005fpw (also 20 in. widescreen). its not their latest model, but alot of people seem happy with theirs. i just missed a deals of theirs where they were going for $415 shipped. they're usually around $600.
bestbuy was selling a 20 in. WHITEWESTINGHOUSE lcd monitor for about $400, i think (i can't remember the right price)