PDA

View Full Version : Comic Strips

Comix Obsession
07-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm aware that the Internet has opened up the possibility of becoming a comic strip artist - but what's the deal on this - are these people getting paid?

I'm looking into the field once again because I've realised that I draw as a hobbie, and enjoy it so much, why not give comic strips a go?

Anyone have any advice on breaking into the field - where to go, what to show, and how to do it?

Thanks,

David :cool:

JoMaC2k
07-10-2006, 10:08 AM
The main places comic strips get their revenue is by doing a good comic and building a fan base, then adding in advertising to the website and selling character related merchandise.

Shishio
07-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Step 1: Create comic.

Step 2: Acquire a domain name (Not necessary, but recommended.) and personal webspace.

Step 3: Upload comic to webspace, and promote it.

Step 4: Repeat the above steps until you have a large enough audience to support yourself through advertising and merchandise sales as JoMaC2k said.

You can also lock your comics behind a subscription wall so that only people who pay to read them can, (But I would not recommend this.) or submit it to a collective like Modern Tales when they ask for submissions.

D.J. Coffman
07-10-2006, 06:02 PM
You can make money with your own webcomics-- I started a blog with ideas on making money with your webcomics-- http://yirmumah.net/make_money

I'm lucky enough that it's all I do now with my own work and one side project.