PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Web Domain

Comix Obsession
07-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey all,

I'm trying (more in the planning stages :whistlin: ) to get a portfolio of my art together. Not easy, since I tend to draw in my art pad, and the pages get filled with all sorts of other scribbles that I can't easily remove. So now I'm trying to do a few pages of one or two characters so I can show prospective employers what I'm capable of.

Anyway, I'm into cartoon style art (think Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, etc) because that's what I've naturally tended to lean toward in my own style (and I'm hopeless at drawing realistically - tend to get distracted).

Anyway, it has been recommended that buying a Web Domain and putting my strips up on there would be beneficial in obtaining an audience, so I want to do it.

Anyone got any tips on creating a web page? I want something professional, in fact, I do have a friend who does this sort of thing thinking about it - but anyone who has gone down this path, do you have any tips before I spend money on a name?

Thanks all,

David :cool:

Shishio
07-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Buy a domain name that is short and easy to remember.

I recommend Dreamhost for hosting. (And if you look around, you can find promo codes that will save you money on hosting there. I can give you one that will save you $50.)

As for webdesign, I cannot help you there, but if you do a search for HTML sites, you will find tutorial sites that you may find useful.

joshm
07-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, I own a web hosting company, but I won't spam here (I'll give you the site if you pm me). Here is what I recommend, go to aplus.net and see what names are available. It will cost you 15.00 for the first two years and then 15.00 for each year after. Then you need a web hosting company to provide the domain to you. You'll then put the domain name's IP in the aplus.net setting for your site name. This will then point everyone that wants to get to your site to your site. Of course you need a site for them to view. If this is just your portfolio then you don't need anything too fancy or expensive. Just have one page that shows your work as small thumbnails that are clickable to enlarge the image. Other than that, you can go to www.htmlgoodies.com (http://www.htmlgoodies.com) for help on setting up a simple site. If you pay someone to do this type of site you shouldn't pay more than 100.00, in my opinion. If you pay more you're just wasting your money. Simple is better, trust me.

Josh

filthysize
07-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Consider buying two domain names. One with just your full name, and one a spiffy name that's easy to remember.

Keeping things simple is probably the best way to do it. Keep your link menu clear and easy to click. I tried to be fancy and clever with a previous design of my website and half the people who visit couldn't find my Films page because of bad menu design.

As for hosting, I use pair.com, it's only 6 dollars a month for the starter package. It's great. Once you start getting more traffic you can just upgrade.

the other mike
07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Anyone got any tips on creating a web page? I want something professional, in fact, I do have a friend who does this sort of thing thinking about it - but anyone who has gone down this path, do you have any tips before I spend money on a name?

David :cool:

i made this:
http://home.comcast.net/~theothermike/album/index.html
and a similar page a few weeks ago using JALBUM. i wanted something that would make a simple but interesting page and most of all, be EASY to use. a nice thing about JALBUM is that its FREE from DOWNLOAD.COM. some other free web photoalbum generators are PORTA and XIBITMAKER. (i was happiest with jalbum). jusy upload the site to your host when you're done.

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
I recommend MOZILLA (http://www.mozilla.org/). It is an easy program to use. Also, you could start with a free site like FREEWEBS (http://www.freewebs.com). They are easy to use and free.

-SIN-
GATOR

L Jamal
07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Don't use a free site.
Nothing looks worse for a business than having a free site (except a free site with lots of pop-ups).

You register a domain for as low as 8.50 at www.jodohost.com
However, some webhosts include fee domains registration with their hosting plans.
I use www.hostexcellence.com because they provide good service and a fair price.
Remember to includes setup fees when pricing hosts.

As far as design, if you have the money get someone else to do it and set-up a template driven website using a content management system (like Joombla or wordpress). If you don't have the money get Joombla or WordPress and figure it out yourself.

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Don't use a free site.
Nothing looks worse for a business than having a free site (except a free site with lots of pop-ups).

You register a domain for as low as 8.50 at www.jodohost.com
However, some webhosts include fee domains registration with their hosting plans.
I use www.hostexcellence.com because they provide good service and a fair price.
Remember to includes setup fees when pricing hosts.

As far as design, if you have the money get someone else to do it and set-up a template driven website using a content management system (like Joombla or wordpress). If you don't have the money get Joombla or WordPress and figure it out yourself.

I thought this was for a portfolio not a business?

Either way, I disagree. When starting out you need to save money any way you can. If a free site allows you to sale work (a lot do not - per membership agreement) then do it. If someone is interested in your work then they will not care if you have a professional site or not. The only way, I think, a person would care is if they where trying to pick between two (or more) people with the same skill. Then it might be an issue. However there are problems with using a free site sometimes. For instance some programs, like netnanny, will not show some free sites because they are unrated and they can not determine if they are adult or not. And people, sometimes, will take you more serious with your own site.

But don't let anyone turn you off to free sites. I (and a lot of other people on this bored) started with one or still use them and have learned a great deal from them. I used to have someone else run THE GATOR's DEN (which started on geocities, then went to a offshoot of Golden Goat Studios, and then I bought it's own domain) when I owned ALBINO ALLIGATOR PRODUCTIONS and in the end it caused me more headaches than I wanted or needed. I closed it and opened FYI COMICS (http://www.fyicomics.com) and I run it myself using MOZILLA (easy site to do web pages with) and use iPowerWeb (http://www.ipowerweb.com/) (free domain name, cheap, easy to use) as my host.

-SIN-
GATOR

Mr.Musgrave
07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Ignore everything Jason just said. That is the worst advice you could get. If you don't look professional you won't be treated professionally. And your portfolio IS your business. If you look like a half-ass chump that's how you'll be treated.

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Ignore everything Jason just said. That is the worst advice you could get. If you don't look professional you won't be treated professionally. And your portfolio IS your business. If you look like a half-ass chump that's how you'll be treated.

That is BS! I have personally hired, paid people, who do not have a professional site (some not even owning a site) and a lot of people on this very site do not have a professional site (a lot of them use devinentart ((sp?)) ) and are working just as much as Musgrave is. If your work is good people will buy it whether it is on a pay site or free site the main thing is getting it out there, advertise yourself (the web is really a small tool) for people to see. Now Jamal has a full business and I agree, a free site wouldn't work for him, but if you are only using it as a portfolio, other than the problems I described, it is a good start. True, I agree that a pay site is more professional looking and may help you in the long run but, and this is just a fact, there isn't a lot of money in comics (and a lot of artists make is at cons and meetings, doing private commissions) so save as much as you can. True, I bought one but only cause I am publishing books and doing a movie right now.

-SIN-
GATOR

Mr.Musgrave
07-12-2006, 05:41 PM
This will probably the meanest thing I've ever said on this board but, Jason, there's a reason no one takes you seriously.

Ron Phillips
07-12-2006, 05:45 PM
There is no reason not to have a branded website. Domains and hosting are cheap. I can provide a reasonable space for $49.95 for the year, with a domain free the first year and $10.95 for renewals.

But I'm not taking any new business till the end of the month.

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
This will probably the meanest thing I've ever said on this board but, Jason, there's a reason no one takes you seriously.

Whatever Musgrave, I digress on this issue, believe what you want.

-SIN-
GATOR

jrod
07-12-2006, 05:55 PM
There is no reason not to have a branded website. Domains and hosting are cheap. I can provide a reasonable space for $49.95 for the year, with a domain free the first year and $10.95 for renewals.

But I'm not taking any new business till the end of the month.

Or, at the very least, use a free service without pop-ups (I think some ISPs have them) and spend 8 bucks on a domain from GoDaddy that has free domain parking and forwarding. I have one yahoo account where I point two different domains:
http://www.jasonrodriguez.com
and
http://www.allyouleave.com (which points to http://postcards.jasonrodriguez.com)

At one point http://www.dcconspiracy.com was pointed there, too, but the group recently pitched in to get its own hosting. That's three sites, one low monthly hosting fee.

But telling someone your website is freewebs.com/~cheapbastard gets a couple of eyerolls. And pop-ups get the browser window closed.

Ron Phillips
07-12-2006, 05:58 PM
But telling someone your website is freewebs.com/~cheapbastard gets a couple of eyerolls. And pop-ups get the browser window closed.

Classic!

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Classic!

Now why is it that when I suggest a free site I get made fun off and when jrod suggest it he get "CLASSIC!". Do you guys listen to yourselves?

-SIN-
GATOR

Buckyrig
07-12-2006, 06:29 PM
Oh...my...God. :blink:

kdmelrose
Now why is it that when I suggest a free site I get made fun off and when jrod suggest it he get "CLASSIC!". Do you guys listen to yourselves?

Re-read what Jason Rodriguez wrote; he didn't suggest a free site.

jrod

-SIN-
GATOR

I didn't suggest a free website. I suggested buying a domain and pointing it to a free website without popups at the very least. And I think Ron meant the cheapbastard thing was classic and, honestly, if someone can't cough up 10 bucks a year for self-promotion (especially here, where I imagine most folks spend over 10 bucks a week on comics) then you are, indeed, a cheap bastard.

I don't really have any beef here, either, with anybody so, you know, keep me out of that part of it.

ehobbs
07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
You can get a domain name for as little as $2.95/year. That's the cost of a comic book. If you can't invest $2.95 in yourself - why should anyone invest $2.95 to read a book that you've been involved in?

I wrote an article about this at Comic Book Hustle (http://comicbookhustle.com/blog1/self-publishing-website-hosting/) a while back which is geared more to someone who is beginning to build awareness for their self published book but it is basically the same thing.

You have to take yourself seriously if you want someone else to. Sorry.

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I didn't suggest a free website. I suggested buying a domain and pointing it to a free website without popups at the very least. And I think Ron meant the cheapbastard thing was classic and, honestly, if someone can't cough up 10 bucks a year for self-promotion (especially here, where I imagine most folks spend over 10 bucks a week on comics) then you are, indeed, a cheap bastard.

I don't really have any beef here, either, with anybody so, you know, keep me out of that part of it.

Same thing. I mean a domain name doesn't make that much difference (I own about 20 myself) and freewebs doesn't have pop ups (at least they used to not) so other than the adding the domain thing, we said the same thing.

Honestly I hope you don't have any beef cause it follows you like the plague here and I am sorry I brought you into this, I was just trying to explain a fact. Sorry.

-SIN-
GATOR

L Jamal
07-12-2006, 07:01 PM
I think DeviantArt is a great place to use as a tool in ADDITION to your own personal web site or blog. I would suggest a blog at blogger over a free site. Deviant alone really isn't enough. Part of of having a web site is to develop your brand.

I don't even suggest free site without pop-ups because what's free and ad free may not be tomorrow. Geocities started off free and ad free.

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Re-read what Jason Rodriguez wrote; he didn't suggest a free site.

Yes he did, he suggested "buying a domain name and pointing it to a free website" (his own words). Like I said, buying a domain name doesn't make that big of a difference. And as he noted, people's personal beefs are the reson a lot of this is caused. Any idea, other than there own, is bogus and you should ignore. It is silly and I am taking this thread of course so I will shut up now.

-SIN-
GATOR

kdmelrose
07-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Sigh.

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I think DeviantArt is a great place to use as a tool in ADDITION to your own personal web site or blog. I would suggest a blog at blogger over a free site. Deviant alone really isn't enough. Part of of having a web site is to develop your brand.

I don't even suggest free site without pop-ups because what's free and ad free may not be tomorrow. Geocities started off free and ad free.

That is true, I agree with you Jamal, but surely (as a businessman) you understand that jumping in to fast is not the best way to go. It works for some (true) but a lot of businesses go out of business for the same reason. In a lot of ways it is better to start small (with a deviantart, blog, or free site) then $40-$70 a year on a maybe. And free sites have free programs that help you learn about websites and stuff also (a useful, free, tool).

-SIN-
GATOR

L Jamal
07-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Here's and idea.
Get together with a couple friends and share web space. For instance www.hostexcellence had plans which allows you to host multple domains with different spaces and different FTP information for as low as $8 or so. That's $4 a month for 2, $2 for 4 and you all get more space and better hosting.

I have the Business Account which allows me to host 8 different domains full domains and 300 sub domains all for $13 or so a month.
I currently host
longbox.com
indylongbox.com
ljamal.com
ravelution.com
ravelution.net
comicportfolio.com
warmageddon.com
bullcitycomics.com
all from one account. There is no reason you couldn't get 8 friends together and each have a domain and web space for about $1.50 a month ($18/ year) and that includes some free domain registrations.

and no I don't agree that you should skimp on web space. Having a free site is like having "printed by VistaPrint" on the back of your business cards.

Mr.Musgrave
07-12-2006, 07:19 PM
...so I will shut up now.

There is a God afterall.

And people should ignore all advice you give, Jason. It's always bad and wrong. Everyone agrees on that.