PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book Challenge: I'm a semi-finalist

D.J. Coffman
07-12-2006, 02:49 PM
I wasn't planning on going to San Diego, but I've been selected as one of 50 semi-finalists to come pitch at the comic book challenge thing. www.comicbookchallenge.com --

http://yirmumah.net/san-diego-bound-comic-book-challenge-finalist/

I'll be there Wed night-Fri night if anyone wants to meet up and bullshit.

joshm
07-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Congrats! I hope everything goes well for you. I didn't enter this because I thought they might take too many rights away from me. Let us know how you do.

Josh

loki5
07-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Congrats, D.J.

I'm a semi-finalist too! I still need to make my travel arrangements (this last-minute travel stuff really sucks, but that's ok) but I think I'll be there Wednesday night through Saturday.

I entered at the very last minute. At first when I saw that people could enter as many times as they wanted, I thought "there's no way they'll pick my pitch with those odds." Guess I was wrong :)

bear123
07-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Way to go bro!!

Bear123

monkeyboy
07-12-2006, 05:31 PM
That's awesome!
Congrats

cybershaw
07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I entered but was not a finalist. That's awesome guys, good luck.

Josh-you can't ever have rights taken if you never through you hat in the ring, but you might never get published either. I know what you saying, it might not be the best deal, but you have to get in the biz anyway you can if you really believe you have the talent to stick around, then you can start shopping around for the perfect deal after you make a name and get your feet wet.

It's not everyday you get to be in a contest that gets this much publicly, if you successful at it you be around for a while.

Good luck to you guys, I envy you

jrod
07-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Very cool.

What's the run down for this again - 50 down to 3 and then the final three is on TV? Is any of this going to be viewable by Comic-Con goers?

joshm
07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I entered but was not a finalist. That's awesome guys, good luck.

Josh-you can't ever have rights taken if you never through you hat in the ring, but you might never get published either. I know what you saying, it might not be the best deal, but you have to get in the biz anyway you can if you really believe you have the talent to stick around, then you can start shopping around for the perfect deal after you make a name and get your feet wet.

It's not everyday you get to be in a contest that gets this much publicly, if you successful at it you be around for a while.

Good luck to you guys, I envy you

I can understand where you're coming from, but that's not me. If I spend time on an idea and I think it is worth publishing then I want to be in full control of the rights. If that means I never get the chance to work for the big wigs or get published by them then so be it.

I think it is great for those of you who have sent your idea and I hope it works out for you. If nothing else, I can see how well it works for you guys and if they do this again next year maybe I'll try.

Josh

D.J. Coffman
07-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'd never sign over something like my YIRMUMAH stuff to anyone-- but I'm all up for developing and selling ideas and concepts. Ninja's gotta eat!

Jason Powell
07-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Good luck to all you guys.

-SIN-
GATOR

Caleb Monroe
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm a semi-finalist as well, something I did with Sarge. Glad to know there will be some other DWers there.

JRod - the final 3 will make an appearance on an NBC San Diego show, which will be viewable by anyone with a TV, then public online voting Friday through noon Monday.

MrGranger
07-12-2006, 07:02 PM
You know I'm not too hot on this contest from the entry form, but I wish you all the VERY best! I hope it goes well. And good luck!

(And if you end up needing an attorney, drop me an email. I've got a good one. :cry: )

L Jamal
07-12-2006, 09:11 PM
I split the copyright discussion into a new thread
http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1010012

innocentboy
07-12-2006, 10:27 PM
good shit.

congrats and good luck to all the semi-finalists (if you rely on luck that is :) )

nice that there's some of you on this board too. helpful on 'nuff occasions.

SDulaney
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
DJ, Dara and Caleb,

Swing by the DW booth (#1430) before things shut down Thursday. We already have some tables set aside for DigWeb dinner that night up the street at Kansas City Barbecue.

Not bad, looks like we have four DW'ers in the running as Mike Colbert made the cut as well.

eltonpruitt
07-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Congrats to all you semi-finalists!

And keep us posted...

Amtekoth
07-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Think about this:

Only about 0.5% of the entrants are chosen to be semi-finalists, yet at least 8% of the semi-finalists are DWers (We may yet hear from others...)

Talent shows! :banana:

Good luck all of you!

Ed

Press Oblivion
07-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Conratulations guys!
I wish you the best. :banana:

Lovecraft13
07-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Congrats, everyone! I wish I could join you guys in San Diego, but I guess I didn't make the cut. Damn, I should have given them more than a 17-word synopsis!

:slap:

Lupin
07-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Remember to show us your entries people

loki5
07-14-2006, 08:28 AM
Hey DJ, on your blog you said that you heard there were about 10,000 submissions to this contest? I was curious how accurate that figure is? Where did you hear it? I haven't seen anything publicized on the official website.

It just seems like an awfully high number. Makes me wonder just how many comic fans are aspiring pros...

D.J. Coffman
07-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey DJ, on your blog you said that you heard there were about 10,000 submissions to this contest? I was curious how accurate that figure is? Where did you hear it? I haven't seen anything publicized on the official website.

It just seems like an awfully high number. Makes me wonder just how many comic fans are aspiring pros...

I'll PM you...

Caleb Monroe
07-14-2006, 12:07 PM
I would also be interested in hearing about that...

DeadboyPress
07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Congrats guys! Is there a list of semi-finalists we can look at? i'd love to see who else made it
DB

loki5
07-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Other than people posting on message boards and identifying themselves, I don't think there's a way to find out who all the 50 semi-finalists are. And of those, I wonder how many can actually make it to San Diego...(personally, I wasn't planning on going to the show so I had to scramble last minute to find flights and lodging)

By the way, I just ran across this very lengthy transcript of a podcast with Scott Rosenberg (chairman of Platinum Studios, who is sponsoring the contest) talking with Joey Manley and Scott Kurtz:

Part 1 (http://www.talkaboutcomics.com/blog/?p=494) - mostly background on Rosenberg, including Malibu Comics and the Ultraverse.

Part 2 (http://www.talkaboutcomics.com/blog/?p=495) - Kurtz and Manley start grilling him about the contracts and the nature of the contest

Part 3 (http://www.talkaboutcomics.com/blog/?p=496) - more grilling

Enjoy!

Lupin
07-14-2006, 06:58 PM
I'll PM you...
I would also like to know about this too. =)

D.J. Coffman
07-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Lupin, are you a semi finalist?

macclint
07-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Good luck DJ!

Caleb Monroe
07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Is any of this going to be viewable by Comic-Con goers?

Yes, I just found out that NBC will be webcasting the pitches live on comicbookchallenge.com (http://comicbookchallenge.com) and nbcsandiego.com (http://nbcsandiego.com). 8am PST Thursday morning.

So you can watch the procces, if interested.

MrGranger
07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
This isn't going to end up on Leno is it? It's starting to remind me of a screenwriting contest that gets aired on Leno each year (it's at an Expo I work at each year for screenwriters). The appeal seems to be the insane personalities and not the serious pitches. Hopefully I won't see any of you guys on the Tonight Show. :p

...And yes, it could work out even though that I think it's a mistake for 99% of those people who get up there on Leno. But I hate to watch 98% of the otheres that are train wrecks. That other 1% are fine but probably should have gone to pitch sessions instead because they were too good to be a comedy act on Leno.

A fool is truly funny only if he understands why the audience laughs, otherwise he's just a fool.

Piekos
07-20-2006, 12:34 PM
DJ was the third person up on the live stream. Unfortuantely, they weren't broadcasting with any f!@#$ing audio so I couldn't hear anything...but he seemed much more confident than the people before him who seemed terrifed.

~N

Caleb Monroe
07-20-2006, 04:45 PM
My wife was able to get audio by the time my pitch rolled around. (10) Saw 5 DWers there, wonder if there were any more.

Gonzogoose
07-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Are they gonna replay the streams? I totally forgot about it.

chris stevens
07-20-2006, 04:53 PM
how'd you do, bela? and what were your impressions of the other presentations? i hope it went well for you, and that all you guys involved take something good away from the experience.

imajica studio
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Since it is on the public part of yirmumah.net DJ made it to the final three. Congrats!!!!!!!!!

Gonzogoose
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Sweet! Congrats, DJ!

MrGranger
07-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Congrats DJ...come over to booth 1430 (the Digitalwebbing booth) so we can hear your stories. We all met the Platinum boys when they stopped by.

Too bad Ed's not here. :p

Caleb Monroe
07-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Hey Chris, I'll be sure to answer your question tomorow after I've had a little sleep.

In the meantime, you should all make sure you go vote for DJ...online voting (http://comicbookchallenge.com/vote) began at midnight.

Gonzogoose
07-21-2006, 06:42 AM
I cast my vote. I can honestly say that DJ's was the only one of the three to really catch my attention. Best of luck, DJ.

Sorry you didn't make it, Caleb.

L Jamal
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
I voted for DJ mainly because I was able to read his entire entry on his web site. OF the others, I liked the one about the sins, but it came off as too similar to Se7en to me. I'd like to see more of that one.

DarkOra
07-21-2006, 09:36 AM
My vote's in. Good luck, DJ!

Kep!
07-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Yes!!!

illojik
07-21-2006, 12:58 PM
I voted for DJ mainly because I was able to read his entire entry on his web site. OF the others, I liked the one about the sins, but it came off as too similar to Se7en to me. I'd like to see more of that one.

that's EXACTLY what I thought reading it. And if you guys missed the pitch live, I'm sure SOMEWHERE you'll be able to see it after DJ wins. :) I saw the artwork for this some time last year when he was first starting and KNEW that the idea was gold. It makes the other two pale in comparison! I like the artwork in the sins story somewhat, but it seemed like an underdeveloped idea. Kudos to Deej for putting his entire pitch on his site for you to see though.

Lovecraft13
07-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Wow. I wasn't particularly blown away by any of those concepts. They must have made one hell of a pitch to make it to the finals.

Caleb Monroe
07-21-2006, 02:25 PM
how'd you do, bela? and what were your impressions of the other presentations? i hope it went well for you, and that all you guys involved take something good away from the experience.

I did good in that my pitch was clear and I felt they got the concept right away. But it was bad in that they simply didn't like said concept. ;)

I'm afraid I didn't listen to any of the other pitches because I didn't want all that bouncing around in my head while I was trying to do mine, but I think I did see one guy with a single gold shoe and a cane rapping his pitch...

Lupin
07-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Lupin, are you a semi finalist?
I didn't enter this contest, I'm just currious about it. =)