PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need fast and affordable business card help ASAP

Mecha
07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Hey guys I just wasted three weeks getting my business cards printed via Staples (since I worked for them at the time).

Not only were the cards expensive ($45 including tax for 500 cards), but they took longer than both the quoted turnaround times, and they look like cheap crap. They were supposed to be raised print, just black ink on bright white card. What I got was flat print that isn't even black black, on dingy white, flimsy cover or card stock (comparing it to the card stock I have at home it feels like cover stock). They didn't even implement the corrections that was sent to them in writing after I viewed the proof, which was nothing but a very bad fax printout of what the card supposedly turned out like.

It looks like I printed them at home on an inkjet printer. And I leave for San Diego on Monday.

Does anyone know any place that can do cards like the order I originally placed before the con starts? Otherwise I can't return these crappy cards for a refund because I need them by Wednesday afternoon (preview night).

Help! Please!

chris stevens
07-14-2006, 12:26 AM
hey, not trying to be a prick, mecha, but you worked for them and you're surprised at the results? just struck me funny. not ha-ha funny, just weird.

Mecha
07-14-2006, 12:39 AM
I used the print and copy centre at the store I was working at because it was good quality. So even though the company was sh*tty to work for, I thought it was worth it to have my cards done through the business card printing place that they use. I duno if you know me, but I quit my job there last Friday.

I learned my lesson.

chris stevens
07-14-2006, 12:46 AM
yeah, like i said, not being a prick.
you're a good artist, i'm sure you'll have success in san diego one way or another. business cards won't make or break you. best of luck!

starr63
07-14-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure how good their cards are but look at www.overnightprints.com

Mecha
07-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Chris: I know, I was just explaining how I made such an (honestly) stupid decision lol. I'm not just an inker though, so I didn't want a crappy looking card :(

Thanks Starr, I'm checking that out right now to see how it works.

danedawg99
07-14-2006, 12:58 AM
vistaprint.com (http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/splash/splash_businesscards.aspx?xnav=TsrItem&xnid=aPremiumBusinessCardsBusinessCardsIdentity&dng=102144)
try that, diana. :har:

Mecha
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys but neither of them does raised print. :(

illojik
07-14-2006, 02:25 AM
yeah but overnight prints does DARN nice cards though. VERY high quality, glossy, thick cardstock, biz cards. I've used them for myself and for clients as well. if you don't need raised ink, then they're perfect.

Mecha
07-14-2006, 02:36 AM
Yeah the design I have doesn't work in flat print... as I saw with the cards they gave me, which is why I ordered raised print. :(

DarkOra
07-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Some Fedex Kinko's can print up 500 cards in a few hours or less depending on how busy they are (and whether they can do the job in-house or not). Each one's gonna be different, so you'd need to call them to find out what their timeframe would be (I had one store tell me once it would take two weeks while a store just 4 miles from them said it would take 2 hours).

And there's actually a Fedex Kinko's in the San Diego Convention Center (https://psg.kinkos.com/conventions/sites/san-diego.php). I'm not sure if they do business card printing or just stick with regular document printing (because of their location), but you could call or email and find out. If they do offer business card printing (and you're confident you won't need to see a proof), you can actually email a pdf or tif to the store email account (they can provide that over the phone), and they might be able to have them printed up and waiting for you when you get there.

joshm
07-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I have found that every Kinko's is different, so if you can do the prints this weekend at one of your Kinko locations close to you it will be better. I know, however, that they do business cards very quickly, but they cost more. I'm gong to try printing mine at home first and if they don't come out right I'll get Kinko's to do it.

Good luck,

Josh

MrGranger
07-14-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm not sure how good their cards are but look at www.overnightprints.com

Great actually...I use them a lot.

Piekos
07-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Despite the fact that OvernightPrints.com doesn't do raised print, their quality is outstanding and really affordable. I have all my business cards, postcards, etc. printed through them now.

~N

Mecha
07-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Just waiting to hear back if Overnight Prints ships to Canada... I couldn't find any places near me here so if they don't do that I'll just have to go with my Staples cards ^_^;;

jrod
07-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Just waiting to hear back if Overnight Prints ships to Canada... I couldn't find any places near me here so if they don't do that I'll just have to go with my Staples cards ^_^;;

You can ship them to your hotel in SD.

I third overnight prints. I use them for business cards and brochures - waiting for my SDCC brochures now, as a matter of fact.

Mecha
07-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Well I emailed them..... mainly to ask about the Canada shipping. I was told that the order would be placed on Monday and they'd give the cards to UPS on Tuesday.... I guess they don't do the weekend thing lol.

I'll just have to use them in the future.