PDA

View Full Version : SDCC - What's it cost you?

Ron Phillips
07-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I've never been, not going this year, but maybe there's hope for next year. But to do that, I need to budget now.

So how much do you guys spend on your SDCC week? Flight, Lodgings, Food and Transport all included.

danedawg99
07-14-2006, 07:17 PM
tell ya when i get back.;)

MatthewMonster
07-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I'd love to go too. Im thinking its at least north of a grand. I guess it depends if you crashing on a couch or getting a hotel...and where your coming from...

joshm
07-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I found flight and hotel deals for less than 700 at expedia.com, and if you want a car for a week it would be about 165 extra. So, all you have left is food and whatever gas or travel will cost. I guess you can say about 1000 with an extra 200 for miscellaneous. Personally, I plan for at least that much, but don't plan on spending it all. I figure if I do then fine, but if I end up with extra then I'm good.

Josh

jrod
07-14-2006, 07:54 PM
I found flight and hotel deals for less than 700 at expedia.com, and if you want a car for a week it would be about 165 extra. So, all you have left is food and whatever gas or travel will cost. I guess you can say about 1000 with an extra 200 for miscellaneous. Personally, I plan for at least that much, but don't plan on spending it all. I figure if I do then fine, but if I end up with extra then I'm good.

Josh

200 for miscellaneous...yeesh, that's close to my total bar tab for the three nights I was there last year. Bar tab was probably a bit higher.

D.J. Coffman
07-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I think this last minute trip is probably going to total me around 1300.

It was 950 total (taxes!) for a room for two nights nearby, the round trip non-stop flight .

if you're planning on staying the whole week, it's gonna run you around 2000 I bet-- although a crafty person could do this all MUCH cheaper.

Cat
07-14-2006, 08:23 PM
well last year was not so bad..but this year!!! ARM AND A LEG!!!

:laugh:

Mecha
07-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Airfare $300 US
Hotel for SDCC $200 US
Hotel for the second leg of my trip: $500 US
Travel by bus/taxi to/from airports: $75 US minimum (I have to take a Greyhound and a taxi 3 times each on my trip)

I have to put everything other than those things on my credit card :(

Buckyrig
07-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Yowza!

I could drive there and I have friends in SD, but I never bother going. :confused:

Maybe I should before I eventually leave this hole and save a pile of cash.

Saraquael
07-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Airfare - 120 ish
Hotel - 300-400
Food - 200-350... but I like to eat
Pruchases - Yeesh... 400+?

T.J. May
07-14-2006, 09:31 PM
This is for two of us travelling from Boston:

Airfare: $700
Hotel: $375

Booth: $450
Shipping Product: $300

We'll see how much food, transportation, and misc. kills me.

T

Crazee Creator
07-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Props / Books/ Supplies: $1500
Airfare / Hotel : $700.00
Food / Car Service/ Misc: TBD
Advertisements for appearance: $3,000.00

Anyone have any bottles and cans I can collect.

D.J. Coffman
07-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Wow-- Crazee's prices there take me WAY back... I'm totally over spending that type of dough on the comic book land. I know all about that though! :)

SDulaney
07-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Ron,

Just a coupple of quick thoughts as you plan next year.

1) You want the "con wrangler" gig for next year? :laugh: If at all possible, I'd like to try to lock in a booth for '07 before we leave town but you never know. Booth space is a big expense but getting it done early saves a bit of cash.

2) Remember this rule on hotels. The better the hotel and closer to the con center, the more expensive it's going to be. I think we were paying $160 a night at the Radisson (13 blocks) last year, this year I'm 3 blocks away at the Embassy and it's around $200 a night. Luckily we have enough in the room to spread that out. With you and the missus, you might want to split a room with another couple if you opt to stay closer to the con center rather than farther out. (Stay close and you don't have to stop drinking early to catch the shuttle. Those Pedi-Cab guys tire out around Broadway.)

3) Another hotel tip. High speed internet and a fast dailing finger will be your friend. They open the reservation desk usually in Jan/Feb and at that exact moment the internet breaks in half. If the site crashes, be dailing at the same time and you'll get through. Hopefully they'll have the convention hotel info up prior to R-Day 07 so you can spot what hotel has what you'll need. (for example, shuttle service to and from the airport or being on the convention shuttle route. Free breakfast and happy hour. Sleep-number beds.) If you want to be REALLY cheap, there's a couple of hostels in the gaslamp.

4) Plane tickets. I wound up paying about $300 after taxes and fees through the convention's travel agency. I could've flown a little cheaper through Southwest but I would've gotten into the hotel around 11pm and had a layover from hell in Denver. Instead, I'll be getting there about noon. I could've gotten the tickets cheaper but I was waiting to see if a buddy was flying out with me or not. Had he decided it wasn't in the card 30 days or so earlier, I would've been able to fly out for $260 at the most. If you can swing it, try to book your flight through the agency on Reservation Day or wait until around late March/early April when the Southwest reservation window includes the July convention dates.

5) Spending money/tourism. San diego is a beautiful city and there's lots to see and do. Luckily a lot of the attractions have it set up where you can order tickets online. If you do what I do (come in a day before preview night.) You can check out the sight and, theoretically, already have the zoo/ball game/tour of the Midway paid for before you left home. Food can be bought cheaply around Seaport Village, a few Gaslamp spots and at Ralph's. Beer is another matter. Expect $5-$6 bottles of Bud at the Hyatt. Something to be said for the beer sale at Ralph's (20 pk of bottles, 10.99 til Wednesday btw). On the con floor, my advice is make a want list...set a spending limit...and have a little extra set aside for that impulse buy. $500-$700 ought to get you through if you're watching it close.

MatthewMonster
07-14-2006, 11:01 PM
All I can hope is that the NYC CC gets ALOT better year to year....it'll cost me like subway fare lol

Ron Phillips
07-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Sean - you do such a great job, I'd hate to deprive you of that joy. Seriously. If I go it will be to enjoy the show, maybe show a couple properties. Plus it's a pretty safe to say, I'll be paying double or triple on the flights. I am not a single man and spending over 500 constitutes a family trip. Who knows.

Everyone - Thanks for the input so far. Still love to hear more.

I was guestimating about $1500-$2000.

Of course, if I do start to plan, I'm going to have to hustle in a couple other areas as well. heh.

SDulaney
07-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Ron,

At least as webmaster/webhost for a number of creators and with your writer credits, you would qualify for "pro" status and that's essentially a savings of $100. (You and a guest getting in with free pro badges.)

jrod
07-15-2006, 01:05 AM
serious answer time:

Airfare: 400x2 (the lady's coming)
Hotel: 180x3Xtax
Food/drink: Estimated at about 100-150 a day for the two of us but, at the same time, I got 30 dudes in postcards and promised them each a drink so it'll likely be more
Cabs: 60 or so
Brochures: 150
Comics? Hopefully a brochure and talk of a second and third postcards volume will get some free stuff. But it won't. I'd estimate 100 or so supporting small press.

Gonzogoose
07-15-2006, 02:10 AM
With all these price lists I keep expecting someone to end their post with...

San Diego Comic Con experience: Priceless.

:cool:

Anyway, I'd love to go too, but I'll have to go the saving route for next year also.

TonyLee
07-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Hahahaha

You guys and your cheap weeks :whistlin:

In dollars...

Flights (UK - JFK, JFK - San Diego (and back)) = 1500 Bucks

Hotel (San Diego - Tues/Sun) = 330 Bucks
Hotel (New York - Mon/Fri) = 440 Bucks

Budgeted spending per day (food, drink, taxis, phone, etc) = 50 Bucks

Total = 2,770 Bucks (approximate)

*twitch*

T.J. May
07-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Hahahaha

In dollars...

*twitch*

You are going to be eating very little :(

Jon Dahl
07-15-2006, 08:56 AM
The SDCC cost me about $50 last year. I was already in California, and my best-friend lives in San Diego 15 minutes from the convention center.

That's the way to do it, make friends with the locals, sleep at their place, and eat their food. :laugh:

jrod
07-15-2006, 09:52 AM
You are going to be eating very little :(

Maybe he meant 50 quid. He's Brit, after all. That sounds a bit more reasonable.

D.J. Coffman
07-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Hahahaha

In dollars...

*twitch*

Hey! We don't all have fancy jobs like you, motherf*cker! :w00t: (well, not yet)

I kid.. I kid....

Man, I have to say, it's really great to see DW members doing so well. I just got my Invincible Hardcover today and was remembering way back when our boy Wya was just starting out.... meeeemmmories.... :har:

TAP_LEGION
07-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Damn , I remember last time I went it was $125 round trip for airfare and I split a room 5 ways with other Artists...then ate McDonalds all weekend...after selling doodles , I think it ended up costing me $10 for the excursion.

TonyLee
07-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Maybe he meant 50 quid. He's Brit, after all. That sounds a bit more reasonable.

Nope - 50 bucks.

I'll be bulk buying at Ralphs, and making my own lunches. So I reckon 40 bucks for an evening snack is about right :-)

Don't forget that's also my New York budget too...

Crazee Creator
07-16-2006, 09:50 AM
NY COMIC CON will certainly be cheaper for those on this side of the fence. But hey, San Diego is like Emerald City in Oz. So we empty our piggy banks, get drunk, make new friends, come back broke and laugh about the experience. So, LET'S PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

danedawg99
07-16-2006, 10:21 AM
NY COMIC CON will certainly be cheaper for those on this side of the fence. But hey, San Diego is like Emerald City in Oz. So we empty our piggy banks, get drunk, make new friends, come back broke and laugh about the experience. So, LET'S PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my thoughts exactly!!! :laugh: