PDA

View Full Version : Advice for someone looking for sketches

danedawg99
07-17-2006, 10:17 AM
This is my first Con, and I was wanting to get sketches, but what can i expect as far as paying? Is there any creator who is known for not doing them? I was just looking for little quick doodles in my sketchbook, nothing fancy.
thanks!

loki5
07-17-2006, 10:59 AM
The best thing to do is simply ask. "Hi, I was wondering if you are doing any sketches today?" And if they say yes, ask for their price range. It all depends on whether you want a simple head shot, a full body shot, just pencils, or pencils and inks, etc. Many artists will do a quickie pencil head shot for free, but ask first.

Price depends a lot on the artist. The superstar artist probably won't be doing sketches at all, as they're too busy at the con. If they are, it'll probably be around $100 or more. For unknown to mid-tier artists, expect anything from $10 up to $60 or $70. It's a very subjective scale, you just have to ask.

The last time I was at San Diego (5 years ago) all the artists at the official DC booth were doing free quickie headshots, but no paid or elaborate sketches.

JasonM
07-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Do the curtesy of at least looking at what the creator is selling if they're doing sketches for free. Its the number 2 reason why I rarely do sketches, It's just rude when all a creator asks in return is to genuinely look at whats on the table to consider purchasing and the person just shrugs and looks away. Ugh! You don't have to buy, but at least consider it!

(the number 1 reason is drawing takes time, and a lot of creators are there to sell, so don't take it personally if they're busy and can't do one).

As for cost specifically, free - $20 is about typical, depending on the quality of the drawing, and the popularity of the artist.

JasonM
07-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Free - $20 is a sketch, if you want FINISHED or anything with detail, it's what loki5 said.

danedawg99
07-17-2006, 11:31 AM
i have a budget for paid sketches, but i was wanting a themed book (spider-man). just quickies, nothing elaborate (except for the ones I pay for, of course ;))

Scott Story
07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
I rarely do sketches at shows any more. I take full commissions, but I take your address and mail them to you after the show. I've done quick headshots for as low as 10.00, a while-you-wait type of quick sketch. Anything more elaborate (and most thing are) run about 25.00. For a full commissioned, shaded pencil finished drawing, it varies. The thing is, since you are there to talk to people, you really can't afford to sit behind the table and focus on a drawing, so that's why I do the commissions later and mail them.