PDA

View Full Version : Need your advise about comicbook format

The Predator
07-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone.
I need your advise. Iīm going to publish my comic that has been published as a strip in daily newspapers.
Is it a bad idea to print it in laying format such as old Flash Gordon books or should I try to cut and paste those strips in to ordinary comicbook pages
( hell of a lot work)
I would really be grateful of your thoughts in this matter.
Have a nice day
The Predator

crozonia
07-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Have you seen PVP or Liberty Meadows? You can print it in a horizontal layout. It's well accepted.

Lynn Lefey
07-22-2006, 03:42 PM
I just put together a book for 'Bruno the Bandit' in normal format, with five strips per page. I'm not sure how cramped it'll look when completed, but will let you know when I have a printed copy in hand.

The Predator
07-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for your input, my friends. Since my book is a fantasy book with a very detailed, realistic style I probably have to go for a laying format. However Iīm really curious in how your book will look, Lynn. Let me know.
All the best
The Predator

Lynn Lefey
07-23-2006, 03:09 AM
The printed copies from Ka-Blam should arrive Tuesday. I'll be able to make a more firm analysis then. My color style for Bruno has been pretty simple, a single cell-style shadow color for most things. My only concern is whether the lettering will be large enough to be quite clear. I hope it doesn't look too dinky and crowded.

Do you have a sample of the art I could take a look at? It might help me make a more informed opinion.

The Predator
07-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Hi Lynn.

Sounds great that you are waiting for books from Ka-Blam. Iīm planning to print my book with them as well. However I havenīt got any reply from them yet. I asked if it was possible to print the book in laying format. Since you have done it you sort of answered my question. Thatīs great.
Sample of my comic? Absolutely.
www.kejsarkronikorna.se/sample.html

I hope you like them.
All the best
The Predator

innocentboy
07-23-2006, 03:09 PM
if it's not too late to chime into the thread ...
just my 2 cents would be that the closest you can get to standard sized comics the better ... as a reader. just easier to store, bag and board and things

Lynn Lefey
07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Okay, with my Ka-Blam print-on-demand books in hand, I can make a bit more of an informed opinion.

Here's a link ot the Indy Planet page for the book in question...
http://www.indyplanet.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=127

The link shows the sample pages. It worked fine, and the text is very clear and legible. Detail in pringting is great, and the colors look fine, with a few exceptions that don't exactly translate from RGB to print.

As for layout, take a look at my pages and see if it works for you. Since 'Bruno the Bandit' is a comic strip in the traditional sense, it isn't really centered on big action panels, so reducing the art substantially doesn't really kill it.

I also didn't find cutting and pasting the strips into a page all that horrible. Ithink it took me about 4 hours to format the whole book, including comic titles.

Hope this helps.

The Predator
07-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Hi Lynn.

I checked out your comic and it looked really great. I think the colors looked nice and the printing qualitey looks as good as if it was an ordinary print and not POD. I will definetly print with Ka-Blam. For me I think I have to go laying format cause it will be to small panels if I put them in a traditional way. I have to much details in the panels.
Best of luck with your comics, they looked really great!
Thanks for your help, it will help.
The Predator