PDA

View Full Version : Website Help

j giar
07-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey ladies and gents. I need your help. I'm taking the big step!! Yes, from blog to a website!!! Being internet unsavy, I could use your help. I have someone that has offered to design and set it up for me. My question is.. any recommendations for hosting geared to a practical and dim-witted, website newbee such as I.
I need something that will be easy for me to maintain and update. I don't want something cheap...I've heard geocites take a couple of bad raps here.
Any suggestions??

Scott Story
07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
To be honest, I've been on geocities since 98, and I've had no real complaints. I pay about 9.00 a month, and I get no ads, lots of bandwidth, tons of storage space, and nice tools.

The only issue I've ever had is that people here and elsewhere have denigrated geocities as 'unprofessional', and I've been concerned that might reflect back on me. That hasn't been my long term experience, though. If you got one of those free sites with all the popups, I'm sure it would.

As far as ease of updating, I suggest you get cuteftp for your ftp needs. I use Adobe Golive for a lot of my web needs, but for all the basic stuff I still like Netscape Composer, which is free with Netscape. I believe in simple, straghtforward websites.

Have fun!

L Jamal
07-26-2006, 11:59 AM
$9/ month? for one web site?
Wow That's expensive. I pay about $13/ month combined for about 8 web sites.

j giar
07-26-2006, 12:32 PM
$9/ month? for one web site?
Wow That's expensive. I pay about $13/ month combined for about 8 web sites.
Is it unprofessional to ask where you hosting through Jamal?

Guys, keep in mind alot of the sjit you're saying is like reading chinese for me. :laugh:

L Jamal
07-26-2006, 12:38 PM
www.hostexellence.com
Hearing all you guys paying so much so hosting almost makes me want to set-up a reseller account and charge like $3/month and make a tidy litle profit.

j giar
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
thanks Jamal... :banana:

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
07-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey, yeah thanks jamal, I've learned something too, (but was too shy to ask! :) ) Hope I didn't steal any space from you, j .... oops that's right, don't be polite, don't be polite.. :laugh: :laugh: