PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late?

WickedWiggins
07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm just curious but, is it too late to get into creating comics if you've not read them since your childhood?

Buckyrig
07-27-2006, 08:55 PM
It might actually be an advantage. You're not bogged down in the same old same old...but you should probably do some catch-up reading. ;)

Phatman
07-27-2006, 09:02 PM
It might be cool to see somebody without any recent influences take a stab at it. Trends go in cycles anyway and what you liked 20 years ago will be around again anyway. Give it a shot.

Scott Story
07-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I doubt it would have any negative influence on you at all.

innocentboy
07-27-2006, 10:37 PM
depends what your goals are for creating those comics

for fame and fortune?
to dazzle the lovely ladies?
to get a movie deal?
to work for one of the big companies?
just for something to do?
self-esteem?
etc.

Scott Story
07-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Damn, Innocentboy's got it down.

Yeah, it all depends on your goals.

--If you've got an itch to tell a story, and share it with a ton of people over the web, then it's very achievable.

--If your goal is to work for Marvel or DC and draw your favorite characters and make a living at comics, it might be easier to become an international best selling writer, a director on big budget films, an NBA star player, a rock-n-roll mega-star, or an astronaut. In other words, I'm not saying it can't be done, because some people do, but it's really unlikely.

Larime Taylor
07-27-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm reminded of an episode of 'House', where House and a jazz musician talk about how they do what they do because they have to, because they need to.

I've always had to tell stories. As a kid, it started with role playing games. In college it became writing plays. Now it's comics. I have to tell stories, and if I'm not, then part of me is missing.

Is it too late? It's never too late. But do it because you need to do it. If it is that important to you, then I say go for it.

JoMaC2k
07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Doug TenNapel makes comics but never reads them and he's been extremely successful. Check out his books CreatureTech, his new Iron West, and his other books on http://dougtennapel.com

innocentboy
07-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Damn, Innocentboy's got it down.

Yeah, it all depends on your goals.

--If you've got an itch to tell a story, and share it with a ton of people over the web, then it's very achievable.

--If your goal is to work for Marvel or DC and draw your favorite characters and make a living at comics, it might be easier to become an international best selling writer, a director on big budget films, an NBA star player, a rock-n-roll mega-star, or an astronaut. In other words, I'm not saying it can't be done, because some people do, but it's really unlikely.
:)

Ron Phillips
07-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Never too late. I figure at the rate I'm going, I'll be a superstar by 75. :)

HaphazardJoy
07-28-2006, 03:32 AM
Yeah, lots of good thoughts here. Having stories you WANT to tell because you feel they must be told, and not being burdened by all of the crap that's already been done, and you're in a prime position to potentially do something great and unique.

j giar
07-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I started back after being away 5 years..don't know how long you were away from it. I'm in it because I need to.. Creatively!
So what are you waiting for...come on back.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
07-28-2006, 10:43 AM
This thread rings a bell.... I don't know how old you are, but if you haven't read comics since you were a kid, it's probably just a good thing. Speaking for myself, there are some incredible comics out there, and some, well, you didn't miss much. I've been illustrating all my life cuz I just gotta do it, and I'm trying to get into comics, cuz I just gotta do it (and in my neighborhood I'm known for being really pigheaded - I think it's the beer) and despite what I'm reading here, I'm aiming on making at least a small living from it. Come on in and get yer hands dirty!! :)

WickedWiggins
07-28-2006, 11:07 AM
To answer a few questions, I'm 26 and haven't read a single comic since the age of 14. Back then I was into everything from X-Men to What If and everything in between. Nowadays, I'm more into telling stories then reading them and don't really care for the superhero type deals. Making a living in creating comics is not my goal, but it would make for a great stepping stone to branch out into other media types. You never really know though... I may end up loving it and stick to comics entirely.

imajica studio
07-28-2006, 11:17 AM
I doesn't matter your age. If you want to do it, do it. Go read The War of Artby Steven Pressfield from the library or buy it. It's only $12.95 or $9.95 on Amazon ! It might help you in this situation.

MrGranger
07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
It's never too late. Many of the greats in history didn't start creating until they had retired from their first career...and I'm not really speaking about comics specifically.

Raymond Chandler wrote his first screenplay at 56. He didn't even publish his first novel until he was 51 but he wrote the original screenplays for 'Double Indemnity' and 'Strangers On A Train.' William Faulkner wrote his first screenplay at 48. Joseph Mankiewitz (who, incidentally, rewrote Fitzgerald) was well over 35 when he wrote 'All About Eve.' Grandma Moses, painted such subjects as The Old Oaken Bucket, Sugaring-Off, and Thanksgiving Turkey (in the Metropolitan Museum) didn't start painting until she was in her 70's. Patricia Polacco is a writer and illustrator of children's books. She did not start writing children's books until she was 41 years old.

There are tons of people who started creating late in life but went on to be major figures in history.