PDA

View Full Version : Double Page Tech Question?

sgotr
07-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Newbie questions

I have a few hero double pages that I want to paint on canvases. The basic page would be 10" x 15" would that make the double page 20" x 15" or 20" x 30"
I think 30" x 45" would be in ratio to the 20" x 30" size (if that's the correct double page size). Having look for 30" x 45" canvases I have not found any. However, I have found that 30" x 48" canvases is common. Would the 30" x 48" canvases be ok to paint the hero double pages on or does the 3 inches change the image to much in the printing stage?

Using the same 30" x 48" for a double page using pencils - I have read that some say to use water color paper have/can you use printmaking papers like Lenox 100, Stonehenge, etc?

Working with these sizes (30" x 48") what kind of scanner can be used or should they be photographed and scan in a 4" x 5" transparency from the photo film?

Lynn Lefey
07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
First thing... While it's not the easiest way to do it, you know you can make your own canvases, right? A good art shop could also probably make a custom sized canvas for you upon request, and probably not too expensive.

I have no idea where you might find such a large scanner, so I'd guess the best thing would be to photograph it. I've seen folks take canvases outside and photograph them under direct sunlight with good results.

If you must use the 30x48 canvas, I'd just put black gutters on either side. I don't think you want to go messing with aspect ratio. It might not throw it off much, but it will throw it off.

sgotr
07-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Lynn Lefey thanks for the help.

I think I have the math not correct on the first post so I 'm going to edit it.