PDA

View Full Version : "Lie"s....Hmmmmm

BIGROD
08-04-2006, 11:20 AM
From Erik Larsen's One Fan's Opinion column over at CBR.com

I haven't the slightest idea who he could be talking about... :whistlin:

I had a friend years back that was a habitual liar. He lied about everything - even things nobody cared about, even things that didn't affect anybody. He was an artist that later got in a position where he could give people work. He lied about his birthday because he wanted to still be one of the young guys in comics - he lied about jobs that were never mailed and checks that were never mailed and he left a path of destruction in his wake. He'd tell fans that he'd hire them in order to get them to leave him alone during a convention and then he'd conveniently lose their phone numbers and never take their calls. He'd promise huge page rates and not come through with the money. He'd hire folks to output film and stiff them. He'd go from one printer to the next leaving unpaid bills behind him. His sunny smile and boyish charm got him more second chances than any thirty men deserve. And what could these guys do? Living in Canada, it was a hassle to sue, so they'd take pennies on the dollar when it was eventually offered.

This buddy swears, to this day, that he left our company of his own free will even though the rest of us know otherwise. He left, like Richard Nixon left, when the writing was on the wall and there were no other options. He claims otherwise, but some folks at this outfit are notorious pack rats and it might surprise him to find a phone bill from a party call and a faxed resignation with a date attached in our possession that clearly indicate that he is being less than truthful.

What's the point? What was gained?

This fellow used to solicit books and he'd decide whether he should draw them based on the orders they received. The 90-day return policy comics had at the time was used and abused by this individual.

Like I said, I had a friend. And when this friend started spreading lies about me, I made an effort to distance myself from him. He's still a fun guy to talk to, but he's not a person that I'd trust to do anything that he promised to do.

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Methinks, many will not see the forest because of the tree.

Mr.Musgrave
08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
This is all about Greg Land, isn't it...? :whistlin:

dano
08-04-2006, 11:46 AM
WHo is it?

Mike225
08-04-2006, 11:48 AM
A Canadian artist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaare_Andrews)

dano
08-04-2006, 11:56 AM
:huh: No clue. I guess i should read more books

kdmelrose
08-04-2006, 12:16 PM
A Canadian artist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaare_Andrews)

:huh:

Mike225
08-04-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm just as confused as you are.

aidirisuto
08-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Erik just told a little story about said artist at the Image forum last week, referencing all the same things but with a name attached.

It wasn't Kaare Andrews.

TonyLee
08-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah - it's not Kaare. It's a little more 'oldschool'...

Deadfish07
08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, it's pretty obviously. Guy who left Image before he became widely unpopular.

It's Jim Lee. :p

Mike225
08-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Oooooh....

I knew it!

Mwynn
08-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Is it he who walks behind the rose?

imajica studio
08-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Is it someone who can also play bass and has never been to the PITTsburgh Comicon?

D.J. Coffman
08-04-2006, 01:37 PM
WHy are people beating around the bush? It's Dale Keown, right?

The forgotten Image guy... heh

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Methinks Erik is a liar or has combined at least 2 people into one.

JasonM
08-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Methinks it be fun to say methinks!

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 01:45 PM
methinks I am a trendsetter

Mike225
08-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Methinks Erik is a liar or has combined at least 2 people into one.

Kaare Andrews and Dale Keown?

Mcd91
08-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi,

Methinks, (how cool does that sound), that most of you are way wrong. When Erik talks about Canadian he refers to the printers, as all the books are printed in Canada, and not to the artist in question.
Erik's article is an answer to accusations floating around at the Rob Liefeld board that Erik's behaviour towards fans is not always friendly. Some absurd story are told there and everybody and his mom have some horrific tale about Larson eating fans, children and puppies who want to get his signature.

Best

Rob

Critters Daddy
08-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Do you guys seriously not know who hes talking about? I thought it was obvious...think back to original Image...

Calloway
08-04-2006, 02:26 PM
It's Rob Liefeld and they were talking about canadian artists he hired not him being canadian. Seems clear to me.

JasonM
08-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Damn you canada!!!!!!!!

(i just fealt left out but have nothing to contribute)

Craig DeBoard
08-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Its so obvious it's Liefeld it isn't funny. And there are always to sides to the story folks (not defending Rob, just saying). What I don't get is, why is Larsen is re-hashing all of this? What's the point.

Whether a person agrees with Liefeld or Larsen and whether a person digs Liefelds stuff or not, is a moot point. Liefeld blackballed himself from comics a long time ago, and it wasn't because of Image. Awesome Entertainment could have been very successful. They had Loeb, Moore, and other top names helping them out. But Rob screwed it all up. I'm not saying he did it on purpose or anything 9and I'm not saying it was an accident either) but Rob forced HIMSELF to go from superstar status the likes of someone like Mark Millar to just another indy guy waiting to be tossed a bone. In the meantime Erik pushed himself incredibly to stay on one book handling the majority of the creative chores on it and eventually became publisher of Image all while still doing things here and there for Marvel too.

I'm not dogging Rob (and once again I'm not defending him), but larsen has proven himself time and time and over and over again to the comic book community as a dependable, well thought of, creator who follows through with the things he says he'll do. He's become the Stan Lee of independant comics. When indy creators look for that shot at the biggest indy company, who do they think is the biggest indy company? Image (atleast most people do). And who do they want approval from more than anyone else at Image? Larsen. Erik is an amazing creator and individual and it just astounds me that he would re-hash all of this when he doesn't need to.

maybe I didn't read a forum somewhere. maybe Rob said something to provoke it all. I don't know. All I know is that Erik is just re-telling a history that while it may spark people's attention, it really isn't needed.

What happened with Rob and Image happened years ago (well over a decade now). Regardless of who's side your on, we really should just let all of that go. Seriously, who gives a shit? There's an old saying. No such thing as bad publicity. If people really want Liefeld to fall off the map, then they just need to ignore him (and for the Liefeld fans, the same can be said of his detractors).

Like I said maybe I missed something, and interview or message board or something somewhere...I just don't get why Larsen would re-hash it all.

BIGROD
08-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Wow, it's fun posting something, then walking away for a few hours to then come back and see what you've started. :har:

Craig DeBoard
08-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Wow, it's fun posting something, then walking away for a few hours to then come back and see what you've started. :har:

You enjoy causing mass panic and creating havok, don't you? ;)

BIGROD
08-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Speaking of Kaare Andrews, I love his work, but why does he continue to sign every piece of his work with the url to his site www.kaareandrews.com (http://www.kaareandrews.com) when it hasn't been updated for at least 4 years??? Just curious.

Oh, and it's definitley Rob "Lie"feld :whistlin:

SDulaney
08-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Damn you canada!!!!!!!!

all that hockey hullabaloo...and that bitch Anne Murray too.

:carrot:

Lovecraft13
08-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Its so obvious it's Liefeld it isn't funny. And there are always to sides to the story folks (not defending Rob, just saying). What I don't get is, why is Larsen is re-hashing all of this? What's the point.

Maybe Liefeld deleted Larsen from his Myspace Friends List? :laugh:

D.J. Coffman
08-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Rob did say in an interview with Bendis something about the "other" image guys sitting around and laughing about Marc Silvestri's wife being so hot and he said THEY called her a "call girl"--- Im guessing it's crap like that from Liefeld's mouth that got him in trouble.

Buckyrig
08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah, but did you guys hear who Larson is taking to the prom?

Mwynn
08-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Katie Vick?

trialsze
08-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Man this stuff never dies. Comics is so elementary school playground. I mean do you really care what Rob did or said? And Larsen why go down to that level? I just don't get it.

Originally Posted by Craig DeBoard
He's become the Stan Lee of independant comics. When indy creators look for that shot at the biggest indy company, who do they think is the biggest indy company?

Dude he aint no Stan Lee. The dude has one book that he created that people even know exist. Not to mention he is an Ass but that is ok. He is in a postion of power and sometimes that is what it takes to run things. I know for fact that I have seen with my two eyes that Mr Larsen has treated people bad. One time I seen him throw a guys pitch back in the guys face at a Chicago con stating "This is not Image quality". Not to mention, go to the Image board sometime and just read some of his replies to people. It is one thing to be professional and another to be an ass. Again, it is alright that he is an ass but to deny it is just putting blinders on. He is who he is and that is fine.

innocentboy
08-04-2006, 10:56 PM
i honestly have to say that i have no idea how all this Liefeld things started or where it's gonna end.

*shrugs*

Troy Wall
08-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Liefeld forever! Soliciting books and deciding whether or not to produce them based on the orders?! Rob makes James Dean look like a school boy! Now here's a true rebel without a cause!!!

:laugh:

Calloway
08-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Liefeld pulled that "I'll call you" thing with a friend. Fact.

Liefeld constantly solicited and then pulled his comics. Fact.

Liefeld admitted to heavy cocaine use in the extreme days (along with other studio mates). Fact.

Many artists complained of the pay or lack there of, some stand up guys. Fact.

Liefeld swipes. Fact

So yeah I can believe the guy is lower then dog poo.

Of course there is postive stuff.

Personally, I don't care. I hate that wizard made comics into celebrity dom. Remember when it was about the comics?

albone
08-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Katie Vick?

Oh snap, the obscure wrestling tie-in...!

cybershaw
08-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Liefeld admitted to heavy cocaine use in the extreme days (along with other studio mates). Fact

hey, doing blow doesn't make you a bad person. :rolleyes:

D.J. Coffman
08-07-2006, 01:41 AM
I got kicked out of Danny Miki's office once at "EXTREME STUDIOS!" back in the day. Danny was cool and letting us hang out and see how things were done, but Rob came in all jacked off and says "Who are these guys?" -- when we had been coming there for like TWO MONTHS and he talked to us before--- suddenly, he's never seen us before, and Wizard was having a "top secret" photo shoot of some Badrock foam outfit that he thought would "leak" out.

Sigh. The GRAND old days!

Mike225
08-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Was there going to be a Youngblood movie or something?

D.J. Coffman
08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
No, it was just some big foam costume for a comic book convention and press photos. It was kinda cool looking in person, sort of. Just eye candy, basically.

Craig DeBoard
08-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Katie Vick?

LOL! Dude you almost made me spit out my soda! LOL!

Dude he aint no Stan Lee. The dude has one book that he created that people even know exist. Not to mention he is an Ass but that is ok. He is in a postion of power and sometimes that is what it takes to run things. I know for fact that I have seen with my two eyes that Mr Larsen has treated people bad. One time I seen him throw a guys pitch back in the guys face at a Chicago con stating "This is not Image quality". Not to mention, go to the Image board sometime and just read some of his replies to people. It is one thing to be professional and another to be an ass. Again, it is alright that he is an ass but to deny it is just putting blinders on. He is who he is and that is fine.

Funny. I've met and talked with on several occasions, a totally different Erik Larsen. Maybe mine wasn't the Erik Larsen we know at all. Maybe he was some other guy who sticks to a book well over 100 issues like Stan Lee, helps new talent get their start like Stan Lee, is a major publisher like Stan Lee was, and helped a major company get off the ground like Stan Lee did. yeah...I must be thinking of some other Erik Larsen.

Erik Larsen has done more for comics than most guys who have been around as long as he has. His book IS known by many many people. If I do remember correctly the 10 year anniversary Image special was on a lot of people's hot lists...and not because of Valentino or McFarlane drawing again or the return of Cyber Force...it was because of finally learning the orgin of Savage Dragon Oh shit....Wizard doesn't kiss his ass any more, they discovered bad Hollywood writers who want to do comics instead...maybe that's why he doesn't get as much recognition as he used to.

Larsen has helped launch careers that might have never been, like Kirkman, Bendis, the Luna brothers, and several more.

Larsen took image from accepting anything dropped on their door step, to seeing to it that quality of books should matter more than quantity puiblished.

Larsen treats people like shit at cons. I remember him ASKING if he could hold my daughter (who was a year old at the time).

I remember Larsen sitting in the lobby of the Hyatt on Friday and Saturday nights at Wizard Wolrd Chicago just hanging out with any fans who wanted to say hi. I remember him making himself available to fans who've always wanted to meet him, unlike a lot of others who just ran straight to the bar to hang out with other big names in the industry (Andy Kubert comes to mind).

I remember Larsen, gladly accepting a script of mine and reading it, when he probably was pressed for a deadline, and giving me alot of advice, telling me what he liked, what he didn't, and how to improve as a writer.

I remember Larsen not charging people to meet him at cons or charging people for sketches like so many others do (especially guys who are still virtual unknowns).

But like I said much earlier...maybe I know a different Erik Larsen.

Spacious Interior
08-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Of the zillions of autographs I've accumulated, one of my tope 10 is Cable drawn by Rob L. that he did for me at ComicFest '93 (before WizardWorld took over the con cercuit)...not because it's soooo good, but because of who he drew.

I had won that junior artist compition and thus a dinner with the Image founders with 2nd and 3rd place... and my dad. We each got a sketch of anyone we wanted from each artist. Obviously I went for who I thought was cool at the time:
Jim L. - Wolverine
Tod M. - SpiderMan
Jim V. - Shadowhawk
Marc S. - Ripclaw
etc. etc. etc.

Come to Rob and I very vividly remember asking for Badrock. He says "I think Cable would be cool." to which I replied "But he's old (and I was young) and Badrock's way cooler." Rob then smiled and said "Yeah he is. No prob." and begins to draw.

Only after the meal and out the door did I realize that he had drawn Cable anyway. Dick. I keep it as a reminder that whenever I do a signing and a kid asks me for a sketch to do what he says. Because without the readers, WE DON'T EXIST! Rob forgot that. It was about a year after that that Todd started with Rob about appropriation of funds and what belonged to the Image label and what belonged to each individual. Soon after it was Jim Valentino who lowered the boom on Rob for the "mis-allocation of recources" using Image supplies to cover Extreme projects and Image money to cover cost on Extreme books (hence so many books getting pulled as metioned earlier in the thread). He probably wouldn't have been busted so openly if he hadn't appeared on (I shit you not) "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famouse"

It's the story of an 18 year old who got what he wanted right up until what he wanted was illegal. In retrospect, DJ COFFMAN makes a point.... why not Badrock? Badrock was Rob's bread and butter at the time. Wierd.

Mike225
08-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Come to Rob and I very vividly remember asking for Badrock. He says "I think Cable would be cool." to which I replied "But he's old (and I was young) and Badrock's way cooler." Rob then smiled and said "Yeah he is. No prob." and begins to draw.

This kinda reminds me of that Deep Thoughts where the guy told his nephew he was taking him to Disneyland, but brought him to a burned down warehouse instead.

Craig DeBoard
08-07-2006, 03:02 AM
Of the zillions of autographs I've accumulated, one of my tope 10 is Cable drawn by Rob L. that he did for me at ComicFest '93 (before WizardWorld took over the con cercuit)...not because it's soooo good, but because of who he drew.

I had won that junior artist compition and thus a dinner with the Image founders with 2nd and 3rd place... and my dad. We each got a sketch of anyone we wanted from each artist. Obviously I went for who I thought was cool at the time:
Jim L. - Wolverine
Tod M. - SpiderMan
Jim V. - Shadowhawk
Marc S. - Ripclaw
etc. etc. etc.

Only after the meal and out the door did I realize that he had drawn Cable anyway. Dick. I keep it as a reminder that whenever I do a signing and a kid asks me for a sketch to do what he says. Because without the readers, WE DON'T EXIST! Rob forgot that. It was about a year after that that Todd started with Rob about appropriation of funds and what belonged to the Image label and what belonged to each individual. Soon after it was Jim Valentino who lowered the boom on Rob for the "mis-allocation of recources" using Image supplies to cover Extreme projects and Image money to cover cost on Extreme books (hence so many books getting pulled as metioned earlier in the thread). He probably wouldn't have been busted so openly if he hadn't appeared on (I shit you not) "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famouse"

It's the story of an 18 year old who got what he wanted right up until what he wanted was illegal. In retrospect, DJ COFFMAN makes a point.... why not Badrock? Badrock was Rob's bread and butter at the time. Wierd.

Dude I got a bBadrock sketch from him once. he did it in gold paint marker. If you want it, it's yours. it just sits in a box (in plastic) collecting dust now. Just PM me and offer me a sketch from someone else in trade.

Oh and you're right about doing what the fans asked for. I'll never forget the time a guy asked me to do Spongbob Squarepants dressed up like Evil Ernie. True story! Weirdest sketch I was ever asked to do.

Spacious Interior
08-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Erinie-squarepants Kicks Ass And I Wanna See It!

Spacious Interior
08-07-2006, 03:20 AM
...wait a minute. Gold paint marker? Midas Liefeld? Not hardly.

Actually, the last time I said anything even remotely related to Rob, I got blasted hardcore by FI....oooh, I really shouldn't. :whistlin:

Mike225
08-07-2006, 03:27 AM
hm...

Craig DeBoard
08-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Erinie-squarepants Kicks Ass And I Wanna See It!

Well unfortunatly it was at a con and after I drew it i never saw it again...but I can always do another... :har:

Calloway
08-07-2006, 03:48 AM
No, it was just some big foam costume for a comic book convention and press photos. It was kinda cool looking in person, sort of. Just eye candy, basically.

HA! cool looking my butt. I remember before seeing it in chicago '94 I had read it had an animatronic head. All it did was open and close it's mouth. The upper part was waaay bigger then the legs. I kept thinking they shoulda just made a statue cause this costume sucks. Later they just made it a statue. No one inside anymore.

Mike225
08-07-2006, 03:52 AM
All it did was open and close it's mouth.

Hm, two different expressions. Sounds like a perfect take on a Liefeld character.

MatthewMonster
08-07-2006, 12:35 PM
So...back on subject was it Liefeld ? lol

uncle wya
08-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Man this stuff never dies. Comics is so elementary school playground. I mean do you really care what Rob did or said? And Larsen why go down to that level? I just don't get it.

Yeah. Keep the rumors going man. That story is definitely exaggerrated. I've sat by Larsen many times as he does his portfolio reviews and it's the coolest thing to watch. He's always honest, he's never an ass. But sometimes people take the truth too hard and exaggerrate stories because they felt hurt. I doubt he "threw" the pitch back at the person, he will let people know there stuff is not at a certain level yet, if you think that's too harsh then you're just as delusional as those other fanboys that think they're hot stuff. Show us a quote online of him "being an ass". Again, delusional.

D.J. Coffman
08-08-2006, 12:20 AM
I've seen Erik give reviews before as well and he's just honest and straight with people-- very helpful actually. Wya is right--

some people just take things the wrong way though.

Those people aren't ready yet. Maybe never.

Biofungus
08-08-2006, 12:43 AM
So um... is this a Larsen thread, or a Liefeld thread? :huh:

secondrater
08-08-2006, 01:01 AM
So um... is this a Larsen thread, or a Liefeld thread? :huh:
it's a Larfeld thread

Mike225
08-08-2006, 01:08 AM
I thought this thread was devoted to Kaare Andrews... :blink:

Calloway
08-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Dude, back in 94, Larsen was an idol to me. The guy still kinda is because of his love of comics. He wasn't doing reviews and I was severly dumbfounded and nervous when I met him. My friend talked for me. I asked him for tips on drawing (showing him my portfolio). Very quiet man, but gave me some helpful advice and drew the dragon on a punisher page he did that I used to own. He even joked about just sticking a fin on punishers head because his face looked just like Dragons. Great guy.

Lynn Lefey
08-08-2006, 01:59 AM
it's a Larfeld thread

Isn't Larfeld an orange cat that eats bugs and assists Dracula? :blink:

Never dealt with either Liefeld or Larson, but I met Jim Lee (actually did a color tryout at Wildstorm), and found him to be a nice guy. I met George Perez (actually met his wife, had a great conversation, then found out who her husband was, and and a long conversation with him). Of all the 'I love my job' people I've ever met, Perez has got to be at the very top. Yeah, I know he's not Image, but he's a great guy.

Fresco
08-08-2006, 09:41 AM

Oh no, you didn't.

Perception IS reality... so not exactly sure why you or your friend feel so negatively towards Erik Larsen. I have sat next to Erik, and seen him look at portfolio after portfolio after proposal after proposal with my own eyes-- and he was never a dick towards anyone... NEVER! The crowds were massive, and he was pulled in a million different directions -- but he never lost his cool, not even once. Did he like all the stuff he saw? no! Was he respectful and honest? Hells yeah he was. Would you rather he was like dozens of other editors out there who tell you they love the stuff to your face, promise you fame and fortune-- but then not take your calls or answer any emails soon as you get back home?

So maybe your post is just sour grapes, maybe not-- all I know is that Erik loves his fans, and spends more time with folks on his boards than most creators combined... and has always kept a level head when folks go out of their ways to be complete a-holes towards him. He genuinely hates having to be the guy to crush the hopes and dreams of creators whose stuff is not in keeping with what he thinks would make a good fit at the company. He gets all the blame, and none of the glory. And on top of that, folks like you who are more than happy to smear his good name.

Erik is the BEST there is... so everyone can feel free to keep casting shade on him all they want, but not where I can see it. :blink:
TRIALSIZE??? I seen you on the boards for a while, and you've always been an ubercool peep... what's up with the hate bro?

Phatman
08-08-2006, 11:15 AM
If there is anybody to hold up as role model in this business it's Erik Larson. The guy is a straight shooter and knows the medium. He's a success as a creator and publisher. I've never had a problem with his portfolio reviews and I appreciate the fact that he has been on both sides of the artist/editor equation.

Liefeld?

I've never gotten his popularity-even in his heyday. His art is barely mediocre and he comes across as a major flake. That being said: at WWChicago last weekend, the guy had a line around his booth the entire convention. I actually considered talking to some of the people in line as I passed them and just ask them "WHY?". What is it about this guy's art that you like? There are literally a few thousand artists in the building whose work is more deserving of recognition than this overrated, overhyped, thieving hack. This is more than a stylistic statement-the guy doesn't have the fundamentals down at all. It's bad work-but a segment of fans love it. A lot of his fans will read into this as jealousy or envy, but the real emotions I feel towards the guy and them is bewilderment and confusion. I can get just about every other style and trend in comics, even if it's not my taste, but I don't get Liefeld or his fans at all.

Phatman
08-08-2006, 11:18 AM

Never dealt with either Liefeld or Larson, but I met Jim Lee (actually did a color tryout at Wildstorm), and found him to be a nice guy. I met George Perez (actually met his wife, had a great conversation, then found out who her husband was, and and a long conversation with him). Of all the 'I love my job' people I've ever met, Perez has got to be at the very top. Yeah, I know he's not Image, but he's a great guy.

I'll second the Perez comment. He is about the most enthusiastic artist I've ever seen or heard in the medium. Great guy.

Mr.Musgrave
08-08-2006, 11:22 AM

I've talked to George Perez a few times and he's always been really cool. Real nice guy. My favorite of all has to be Martin Nodell and his wife Carrie. Nicest people I've ever met. I was truely saddened when Carrie passed on.

Fresco
08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I've talked to George Perez a few times and he's always been really cool. Real nice guy. My favorite of all has to be Martin Nodell and his wife Carrie. Nicest people I've ever met. I was truely saddened when Carrie passed on.
Amen Mr. Musgrave--- I miss Carrie so much
I found out a couple days ago that Marty has been in the hospital with an infection for the past week... he's always been at the Chicago Comicon and this year he was majorly missed. I don't want to derail the thread --but if you can all send out a good thought and a silent prayer that Mr. Nodell goes home really soon all safe and sound.

http://www.franchesco.com/chicago/Ch29.jpg

Thanks to everyone who took time out of their Connvention to sign this 'get well card'-- I hope it will brighten up his day today when he gets it.

Phatman
08-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Franchesco is the exact kind of person I'm talking about in reference to Liefeld. His work is incredible, and he is friendly to fans and seems like a really good guy. Why doesn't he have Liefeld's line of followers? I don't get this business sometimes.

Scott Story
08-08-2006, 12:23 PM
While Franchesco doesn't get Liefeld lines, he is very popular with show-goers, and his table is always busy with people who want to talk with him. Of course, Franchesco is one of the most outgoing, enthusiastic guys I've ever met. I haven't really met George Perez, so I can't compare the two.

Liefeld had about fifteen people in line when I saw him signing this weekend. Of course, I remember ten years ago when that line of fans waiting to get his signature stretched all around the convention center.

D.J. Coffman
08-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Not to go defending Erik, because he just simply doesn't need it if you have half or quarter of a brain, you KNOW Erik Larsen is a standup guy and amazing talent.... BUT....

I use to collect Savage Dragon, and then missed a bunch of years of it when I stopped collecting. I went and bought a complete collection on ebay, pretty dirt cheap, (around a buck a book??!!!) And I just marveled at his work in those issues. Savage Dragon to me, was the complete entertainment, packed in there monthly by pretty much one man. I know that Jack Kirby is one of his influences and I'd say Erik has made him proud with his SUPER work ethic, etc. And now he's doing good, running Image and bringing forth NEW stuff and keeping comics going.

But the other guy? Compared to that story above? MEH. You ain't got nothin on Larsen.

--- As for why Franchesco doesn't have a rabid following of morons, it's probably because he doesn't lie to people to make friends, or promise them all jobs. I mean, you'd have a TON of "friends" and followers if you were spouting off like you just sold 10 movies and promising lots of people jobs or future gigs.

One thing about the 'FLASHY AND HOT' --- they seem to burn out quick? At least history tells us that. All the guys who were the "HOT NEW" in the 90s are the washed up and old now. Even Joe Mad, who blew everyone away with his work at Marvel, Battlechasers--- it all looked pretty awesome, I was a big fan of Battlechasers, but-- POOF. He burnt himself out, and left his fans behind, and pretty much didn't care, i mean, they don't OWE you anything, right???

Wrong. At least in my opinion.

MatthewMonster
08-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I totally agree with you on everything ,except that somehow these guys owe anyone anything. Joe Mad buring out and dropping off the face of the Earth was weird and unprofessional, but I dont feel he owes me anything. Just me though.

D.J. Coffman
08-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't think it's up to the readers to think THEY are owed something. But maybe in the creators minds, THEY themselves should feel like their success is attributed to the fans buying their books in droves... to just turn around and crap on them, or solicit things and get them excited and then not publish them, it's wrong. So, I reckon someone like Erik say, he might not ACTUALLY owe anyone anything, but I bet deep down he wants to entertain the readers and keep them going.

That's something a lot of creators just don't get. It's a two way street, the reader- creator connection. Liefeld will always have his die-hards, but he'll no longer be selling millions of books or have rabid fans like he use to. His line went from what, 300-400 people to 15.

Buckyrig
08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Liefeld?

I've never gotten his popularity-even in his heyday. His art is barely mediocre and he comes across as a major flake. That being said: at WWChicago last weekend, the guy had a line around his booth the entire convention. I actually considered talking to some of the people in line as I passed them and just ask them "WHY?". What is it about this guy's art that you like? There are literally a few thousand artists in the building whose work is more deserving of recognition than this overrated, overhyped, thieving hack. This is more than a stylistic statement-the guy doesn't have the fundamentals down at all. It's bad work-but a segment of fans love it. A lot of his fans will read into this as jealousy or envy, but the real emotions I feel towards the guy and them is bewilderment and confusion. I can get just about every other style and trend in comics, even if it's not my taste, but I don't get Liefeld or his fans at all.

Synchronicity. What he was doing, the direction the industry was going, what the fans were clamoring for, and the burgeoning speculation market of uninformed outsiders converged at a point in time.

And there were other little things. People loved Cable. (The still do. And frankly I don't get it.) So there may be something in the mere designs the guy would come up with. (This is where someone probably lets me know the full history of Cable or something. I only remember Liefeld wanted credit for creating or co-creating Cable and this was basically where Image began. But I don't claim to have followed that story terribly closely.)

Buckyrig
08-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I totally agree with you on everything ,except that somehow these guys owe anyone anything. Joe Mad buring out and dropping off the face of the Earth was weird and unprofessional, but I dont feel he owes me anything. Just me though.

I thought Madueria had arthritis. Uhm...you kind of get a pass on that one I think.

Fresco
08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I thought Madueria had arthritis. Uhm...you kind of get a pass on that one I think.
You might be thinking of Jim Valentino... nice to see him drawing again, inspite of the pain he feels as a result.

--and thanks for the kind words everyone... I agree... none of this would be possible if the retailers were not supporting our books, and if the fans can't get access to the books... we would ALL be out of a job. The minute I start to act like my you-know-what don't stink... somebody please smack me one. Without the fans... there would be NO hobby to speak of --period.

j giar
08-08-2006, 01:42 PM
I've never met Erik. Never had him look at my work back in the day. But I can usually judge from posts or how a guy(or gal) responds and what they have to say, what type of people they are. I read Mr. Larsens columns on every post. People confuse honesty with rudeness, especially if they're told something that they either don't want to hear or is opposite of their own self involved opinion. Like I said, I'v never met Mr. Erik Larsen. But I admire his honesty.
I'm not giving the other person in question even the satisfaction of me typing his name. "F"'em
Like was said earlier...remember when it was about the comics? :yawn:

DungeonMasterJm
08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I had heard that Joe Mad moved on to video game conception art and was making more money for less work that way than in comics. Can anyone verify this or have I been told incorrect information?

Thanks,

DM Jim

Craig DeBoard
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I've met liefeld twice. The first was in his heyday when he was selling millions of books and Youngblood was the hottest thing out there that kids could get their hands on.

He was an absolute asshole to every person he met (within my line of view atleast).

The second time I met him was about 3 years ago in Chicago, when he was bringing back Youngblood through Arcade Comics. i didn't even know he was beinging back Youngblood, but when i heard about it i went straight to his table. I'm not a big Liefeld fan, but I am a nostalgic person and these were characters I read as a kid. I went and bought a copy of the book. Millar's writing was really well done on it, and Liefeld's art hadn't really changed. So i got a good story and that slice of nostalgia I was looking for. I met Rob then (for the 2nd time) and he was genuinly nice and friendly. There weren't any promises of work or anything from him or Jimmy Jay and he's was just flat out, a genuine guy.

I think his downfall humbled him a lot. He went from being the guy so many aspiring people wanted to be, to the guy no one wanted anything to do with. And I think he gets that. I'm not defending Liefeld here, mind you. I'm just saying I think the Liefeld we have today is a different one than the one we had ten years ago.

Thus the long lines. In his heyday he had long lines because he was the hot item. When that went away his lines died down. Now that he's finally humbling himself a little and not holding himself over top of others (atleast as much) people are giving him a chance again.

I love Larsen and the last post I made on this thread I defended him, because quite frankly, the man has never been anything but honest with me and kind to not just me, but my wife and daughter as well.

But Liefeld...McFarlane...Valentino...Jim Lee...Silvestri...and yes even Larsen, need to get over the whole Image debacle. It's over ten years later now. The entire industry and every fan has heard both sides. Everyone has made up their minds as to who they support and who they don't. If Liefeld never wants to work with those guys again, then whatever, he doesn't want to. If they never want to work with him again then fine. But what happened happened, and it just needs to be dropped by all parties.

It's issues like these that keep popping up, that make the comic news about the creators and their personal lives, rather than about the actual comics themselves.

They all (yes including Larsen) need to just move on and let it drop.

Craig DeBoard
08-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I had heard that Joe Mad moved on to video game conception art and was making more money for less work that way than in comics. Can anyone verify this or have I been told incorrect information?

Thanks,

DM Jim

I know he did work for a few games, like the packaging work and he did some work for the band Eve 6, but other than that I don't know.

Mwynn
08-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Joe Mad tried to get into video games. Yet all the games he worked on were cancelled.

Nick Pitarra
08-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I met erik larson in wwl.a. for the first time (I had never heard or read anything about him being an ass). He gave me a quick/bad portfolio review (bad in as he wasn't that nice). I was excited to meet him and had a cheese grin on my face...and when he reviewed my work...it kind of felt like a he wanted me to stop smiling,but at the same time he was smiling at me. It was weird. He still had some good points and fair opinions, but i felt that undertone. Just my experience.

The worst review ever for me was recieved from Bart Sears. This was when he was the art director for cross gen. I had just gotten back from a sit down with scott allie...who gave me his card. i was kind of on a high note. I went to meet Bart Sears,and he was a real jerk. The 1st thing he said(after he quickly thumbed through my work) was "draw 200 pages and then come back", I wanted a little more out of the meeting so i asked him if there was anything I could work on. He was quiet....so i said "...how about my anatomy?" He said "you draw allot like that quitely guy" shrugged his shoulders and said "...well he gets away with it". This was before quitely got super popular and won artist of the year and an eisner. I learned nothing from the critque.

JasonM
08-08-2006, 05:13 PM
"Draw 200 more pages" hardly counts as a critique. He might as well just said the truth "I'm tired, you'll never get anything helpful from me when I'm tired". At least it would have been honest.

One of the most useless yet helpfull reviews I had was a few years back at darkhorse. The editor wasn't into my style and said it straight up, even saying that the editor to his left would have been better for reviewing my work (which we had no choice over and wouldn't be allowed to get back in line - so no help). At least I knew where I stood, I still asked for his opinion and it was constructive none the less.

But for every good/ok reviewer you still get asses. A guy who's no longer in the industry once looked at my portfolio when I was 17 or so and said flat out not to get into comics. Gee, thanks ya dick lol.

Larsen I've never met, but given his "tell it as it is" attitude, I can see why people would be put off. I guess the only real question would be, did the things he say make sense? Then go from there.

Craig DeBoard
08-08-2006, 05:28 PM
I never met Bart Sears before, but that sounds pretty bad.

I would have told him to fuck off.

Constructive Critisism is one thing...to just flat out be a dick is another.

Lynn Lefey
08-08-2006, 08:16 PM
A fellow I knew went to a con and had his work reviewed by Neal Adams, who proceeded to wave his pages about and shouted "These are masturbation".

Ouch. King Kameamea Dick!

However, with all these anecdotes of experiences with the pros, I think it might be a good idea to keep in mind that these folks are people too, and have good days and bad days like the rest of us. Being taxed with looking at one miserable portfolio after another while someone stares at you like you're some kind of higher life form has got to be wearing (unless you have some kind of monster ego). Then, when you give them honest feedback, some of them are going to be pissed that you didn't lavish them with praise for their incredible 'Lima Bean Man' pages.

I've done portfolio reviews before, and really felt that I helped some young artists. One thing I would tell them is take what I say, and what five or six other folks say, and take the average. If everyone says your anatomy is weak, chances are good that it's true. If everyone says your sequential storytelling is strong, then it probably is.

As for Liefeld... I think there's a reasonable chance that stardom messed with him before he was mature enough to deal with it. Maybe he's grown up some and learned a thing or two. Maybe he's more humble. Who knows? I don't like his work. That's all I know. Didn't then, don't now.

There's a double-edged sword about comics and their creators. Some say 'remember when it was about the comic books'? But don't add 'remember when companies screwed creators out of their rightful due?' Some say 'it's a big soap opera about the creators now'. Well, that's the price of elivating creators above mere nameless drones. I'm not clear on the fascination of celebrity in America (and can't speak about it's effects elsewhere), but it's there. If you say Todd McFarlain's Spawn, the inevitable question 'Who is Todd McFarlain' will arise. Someone will want to know, and someone will pay to know, and someone else will capitalize on that willingness to pay.

Maybe you all are sick of hearing about Larson/Liefeld. I was completely out of comics from about 94 or 95 until very recently. Didn't follow, and don't know about the whole mess at Image. However, ten years is not long at all to forget about someone fucking up your company. This is not just one person. When you mess up a company, you are destablizing lots of folks lives and livelihoods.

In my opinion, the only crime in this industry worse than that would be to steal someone else's work.

Crap... that was a long post... my fingers are bleeding! LOL

Mr.Musgrave
08-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Amen Mr. Musgrave--- I miss Carrie so much
I found out a couple days ago that Marty has been in the hospital with an infection for the past week... he's always been at the Chicago Comicon and this year he was majorly missed. I don't want to derail the thread --but if you can all send out a good thought and a silent prayer that Mr. Nodell goes home really soon all safe and sound.

Thanks to everyone who took time out of their Connvention to sign this 'get well card'-- I hope it will brighten up his day today when he gets it.

Thanks for the heads up, Franchesco. I'm really sorry to hear about Marty and I hope he gets well soon. He's a class act. :(

Mr.Musgrave
08-08-2006, 08:24 PM
A fellow I knew went to a con and had his work reviewed by Neal Adams, who proceeded to wave his pages about and shouted "These are masturbation".

Ouch. King Kameamea Dick!

However, with all these anecdotes of experiences with the pros, I think it might be a good idea to keep in mind that these folks are people too, and have good days and bad days like the rest of us.

I've never heard a "what a nice guy Neal Adams is" story. If anyone would know about masturbation it'd be Adams because he gets off on himself all the time. Totally an over-rated dick of a man. Him and John Byrne should form a club.

MatthewMonster
08-08-2006, 08:40 PM
lol

danedawg99
08-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I've never heard a "what a nice guy Neal Adams is" story. If anyone would know about masturbation it'd be Adams because he gets off on himself all the time. Totally an over-rated dick of a man. Him and John Byrne should form a club.
I dunno, I met Neal briefly at SDCC, and he seemed like a nice enough guy. he gave this kid in front of me a thoughtful, but direct crit, and then did an autograph for him. then did an autograph and a quick sketch for me, when he supposedly wasn't doing sketches.

Lynn Lefey
08-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Him and John Byrne should form a club.

The little company I worked with years ago contracted for a cover with John Byrne. He did the cover with great professionalism. When we met him at a con shortly thereafter, he seemed like a nice enough guy (but was rather down about the lack of success of Next-Men, which I think is understandable). I've never seen him in the portfolio review mode though.

I can say with all honesty, I did the color on a page drawn by John Byrne... in a book that no one ever read. LOL The piece never got used as an actual cover, because we folded from lack of funds before the issue came out. It only appeared in another one of our books as an ad. But anyway...

Fresco
08-08-2006, 11:12 PM
I met erik larsen in wwl.a.
--snip--
The worst review ever for me was recieved from Bart Sears.
wow... that was not my experience at all... sorry to hear that NPITARRA.

I crossed paths with Erik Larsen at WWL.A. as well-- and he wrote a 64 page for me to draw and he even colored it for me. She-Dragon came out last week. Not to gloat or show off... but we saw the same guy at the same place-- with two completely different results. I never got the 'erik is a jerk vibe' before during or after that meeting.

I went to convention after convention after convention hoping to break into the biz... was at the end of my rope and figured I must have just been kidding myself the whole time. I said 'one more show... and if nothing comes of it... I am gonna get a real job and forget about trying to be a comic book artist.'

So I went to a show where Bart Sears happened to be in Artist Alley, and Innovation was a publisher in attendance (among many others). I showed my portfolio around... and Bart was super nice and offered me great crits... (he also taught at the Kubert School) he asked me how my show was going and I told him a guy from Innovation liked some of my samples and asked me to draw something and show it to him the next day. His vote of confidence meant so much.

He said to come to him first and have him look it over before I showed the publisher... and I did... and he looked at the drawing and told me go for it without asking me to change a thing. So I went over to the Innovation table and showed the guy the drawing he asked for.

--and I got my first break in comics working with Mike W. Barr --and the rest is history.

My stuff was not very good... I look at it today and want to cry at how crude my drawing abilities were... but they saw something I did not see. If not for Bart sears being so encouraging and having my back, and if not for Innovation, I would not have ever drawn a single cover or pin-up or comic book or poster for Marvel and DC and Image and a host of others. No other nibbles, no other opportunities. Nothing else came from that convention... except one ray of light when I needed it the most. ;)

Sorry your experience was not similar to mine... but I wish for you the chance to cross paths with someone into the stuff you like to do. It only takes ONE person to be on the same vibe you are on brother... please don't give up hope, and if this is what you wanna do... keep on looking for your 'bart' and 'erik' he or she is out there, I challenge you to find him or her.

Make it happen!!! :)

Biofungus
08-08-2006, 11:32 PM
To be honest, everyone has different experiences (even with the same creators/artists). I think the only one who is pretty much universally panned (as far as reviews and how he interacts with his 'audience') is Neal Adams.

Biofungus
08-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Joe Mad tried to get into video games. Yet all the games he worked on were cancelled.
Not true. He does concept work for Dungeon Runners, which is currently in it's beta testing phase.

D.J. Coffman
08-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Bart Sears actually drew a really big BRUTE sketch in gold marker on one of my old portfolio tie cases... man, that was awesome. He always seemed like a nice guy to me.

Isnt it fair to say though, that people can get into moods any time? It's possible to catch someone who's tired or cranky at that minute.

Fresco
08-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Isnt it fair to say though, that people can get into moods any time? It's possible to catch someone who's tired or cranky at that minute.

VERY true... people are people.

(btw: cool story about the gold marker BRUTE) got a digi-pic of it somewhere?
Would love to see it.

Lynn Lefey
08-08-2006, 11:50 PM
To be honest, everyone has different experiences (even with the same creators/artists).

This, as I pointed out earlier, could be due to the pro's having good or bad days, but I have some sneaking feeling that a LOT of the hard crits come from people who go there and expect to get a job first try, when their stuff just isn't that good.

I don't know if any of you know Pop Mahn, but he came over to the table for the little company we had. We looked at his stuff, and were like "What the hell are you over here for? Go talk to Image!" That is the only time at a Con where I think an artist underestimated his own work. So, we sort of discovered him, I guess.

I think a lot of folks go to get a critique, but don't really want critique, and don't know how to handle it. So, when someone tells them this or that is wrong, they get defensive, and the whole thing goes down hill from there.

Craig DeBoard
08-08-2006, 11:57 PM
The funny thing is, when you hear about these bad experiences with reviewers or artists or writers it's usually something terribly horrific that happend "to a friend of a friend". When i met liefeld the first time around, he was a dick, but it was just his attitude. He didn't run around in circles waving things in the air screaming masturbation...he didn't throw pitches back people...he didn't laugh in anyone's face...he didn't spit on anyone, or flick a booger or fall asleep while someone was talking to him...

...and chances are neither have any of the other guys mentioned.

people get their feelings hurt all the time, because there girlfriend or cousin or mom will tell them they are God's gift to comics and then when they talk to a pro, they're told they aren't, so a simple crit is then evolved into an insult which is then involved intop a pitch being thrown back in their face which is then evolved into Joe Quesada turning someone's portfolio piece into a paper airplane and he attaches a booger onto the end of it, throws it but misses and pokes a guy in the eye with it, three spaces back in the line.

99% of the crap we hear about editors who give reviews and artists or writers who do signings, if it's bad, is highly exagerated. If it's good it's never exagerated, except to the level of some idot now thinking they're friends because they spoke for 2 minutes at the con and the guy somehow got the artists e-mail address and hassles him all the time.

I heard once that marv Wolfman spit on someones kid and told the guy to shut the kid up and that he was getiing a "fucking headache". Is this true? Of course not. What the truth probably was, was the guy was getting something signed by Wolfman, and Wolfman was probably very tired from the previous night so he probably wasn't very talkative.

Don't believe the horror stories you hear. They usually aren't true, and most of the time are completely uncharacteristic of the person they're being thrust upon.

Unless they're about Steve Musgrave. Then all of the bad stuff is true, just because I hate him so much ;) :har:

Lynn Lefey
08-09-2006, 12:18 AM
He didn't run around in circles waving things in the air screaming masturbation...

I appreciate what you're saying here, but this is not an FOF instance in my case with Neal Adams. This is a friend's account, cooberated by two other friends, one of whom I would stake my life on anything he said. And, to set the story straight, in the example I mention, Adams was not screaming, although he was speaking loud enough to cause a scene, and was indeed waving the pages in the air, and stated "This is masturbation".

This is not exageration, paraphrasing, or fishing stories growing larger. It is, as far as I am concerned, fact. Take that as you will. If you want to have great loads of fun, go get a camera, and set it up to record Neal Adams doing protfolio reviews at a con some time. Sometimes the stories ARE just as bad as reported.

Buckyrig
08-09-2006, 12:20 AM
I asked Neal Adams for directions to the bathroom and he stole my wallet and raped my grandmother.

Biofungus
08-09-2006, 12:25 AM
I asked Neal Adams for directions to the bathroom and he stole my wallet and raped my grandmother.
Whoa. Good thing you didn't ask him for an actual portfolio review!

Craig DeBoard
08-09-2006, 12:41 AM
but this is not an FOF instance in my case with Neal Adams. This is a friend's account...

I get what you're saying and all, but once again this isn't something any of us actually had seen. It a friend's account...and I don't care who your friend is...everyone exagerates.

But I won't argue the point, if you say it is, then you would know better than I, since I've never seen an Adams review, and I don't know your friend.

I have to agree though with what DJ posted earlier. Everyone has to realize that these guys are people too. They aren't just hiotting one or two or even three cons just in the summer like all of us. They are hitting a shit load year round and doing store signings and interviews and keeping (or atleast) deadlines. They have to deal with a shit load of people who don't wear deoderant or have never heard of something as simple as some spearmint gum, and these same people think they're gonna be Wizard Magazine's next hot artist to report on.

These guys have to deal with all of this, so do try to keep in mind that they're people too, and can get iritated or have headaches or get jet lag just like any of us.

Its funny. We can get iritated with our kids when we had too much to drink the night before and tell them to go in their rooms and play when we have a headache...but guys like Larsen or Sears or Adams can't tell someone they need work on their foreshortening or anatomy after having severe jet lag.

Craig DeBoard
08-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Whoa. Good thing you didn't ask him for an actual portfolio review!

Yeah...then he would have raped your grandmother and you as well.

Nick Pitarra
08-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey franchesco...Larsen was constructive in his crits,he kind of had a unfriendly over tone...or under tone....it wasn't overly bad or anything...I was just posting my experience b/c of the thread. I get a review from everybody i can at every con i go to.I've gotten 100's of reviews,my skins thicker than elephant hide. I've even gotten a review from you in artist alley before (in dallas, the year your photo made the paper). Its no joke that larsen would higher you (who wouldn't)...your art is sick. I just can't see why your not doing regular work from the big 2. Don't worry about me giving up...I'm way to stubborn for that.
Oh yeah and about Bart Sears, my account is true...he did ask if I wanted him to be honest or nice...I of course anwsered honest...he then opened my portfolio..thumbed through it...and then the review began. Its always a humorous story when i tell it,not bitter. He was probably right it will take about 200 pages(from that review) before I reach a polished professional quality to my work.
My best friend is a Kubert grad ...when he was in his third year he and a buddy got a personal tour of the cross gen studio from Bart Sears and private interviews/portfolio reviews from him as well. He had his best review ever from him. So it could have just been a mood thing ...either way...i've probably done about 100+ pages scince then...100 more and I'm going to walk up to his place in artist alley and flop all 200 pages right on top of the sketch he's working on."200 as requested" I'll kick my head back with a Joker esque laugh. No i wont do that, but thats what i tell my con going buddies to get them to laugh.

sgm
08-09-2006, 01:08 AM
I had a portfolio review by Neal Adams about a year ago.

The only thing I'll say is that he knew what he was talking about and I'm a better artist for it.

Biofungus
08-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah...then he would have raped your grandmother and you as well.
Hey buddy, all of my grandparents have been dead for over 30 years... :man:

Wait, that means he'd rape me TWICE! :eek:

;)

Biofungus
08-09-2006, 01:59 AM
I have to agree though with what DJ posted earlier. Everyone has to realize that these guys are people too. They aren't just hiotting one or two or even three cons just in the summer like all of us. They are hitting a shit load year round and doing store signings and interviews and keeping (or atleast) deadlines. They have to deal with a shit load of people who don't wear deoderant or have never heard of something as simple as some spearmint gum, and these same people think they're gonna be Wizard Magazine's next hot artist to report on.

Except that these guys get MONEY to do this. If I was a convention producer (and I have been, and Neal Adams was only about 3 tables away from our own), I would be royally pissed that the people who paid to attend, bringing their portfolio with them, and that whatever was paid to the artist (sometimes it's just airfare and hotel, sometimes it's an appearance fee as well), if all he did was badmouth and ire-rake someone who just wanted some constructive criticism.

Lynn Lefey
08-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Hey buddy, all of my grandparents have been dead for over 30 years... :man:

What? You never heard of a shovel?

Craig... go back and reread my previous posts. I totally understand people having bad days (and mentioned that PLAINLY in previous posts). Go... read... then inhale, exhale, and quote someone else for your next example.

Regardless, NO ONE has the right, for personal or professional, or hell-froze-over reasons to do what was done in the case I mention. It was simply unprofessional. If you can't handle fans, then don't do conventions.

Calloway
08-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey franchesco...Larsen was constructive in his crits,he kind of had a unfriendly over tone...or under tone....it wasn't overly bad or anything...I was just posting my experience b/c of the thread. I get a review from everybody i can at every con i go to.I've gotten 100's of reviews,my skins thicker than elephant hide. I've even gotten a review from you in artist alley before (in dallas, the year your photo made the paper). Its no joke that larsen would higher you (who wouldn't)...your art is sick. I just can't see why your not doing regular work from the big 2. Don't worry about me giving up...I'm way to stubborn for that.

My meeting Larsen was about the same, except I didn't think like you. Erik just seemed like a very quiet, almost shy guy. Maybe you mistook that?

Buckyrig
08-09-2006, 02:27 AM
My meeting Larsen was about the same, except I didn't think like you. Erik just seemed like a very quiet, almost shy guy. Maybe you mistook that?

I get that. I don't "click" with everyone right away in person and I despise "artificial conversation" (ie small talk). I won't talk just to fill dead air. As a result, a lot of people say they thought I hated them after the first time we met.

Nick Pitarra
08-09-2006, 02:43 AM
No he wasn't shy...like I said he was constructive...not overly friendly...when i originally handed him my portfolio...it was kind of a heres another one reaction(i was literally the 4th person to give him a portfolio,rather than buy a book or ask for a signature...and who knows how many others he looked at before i got there)...i had a big cheese grin on my face ,just excited to meet him,and he was smiling back...he said some constructive things...he said i didn't prove i could establish things in my art,or draw a correct back ground, which was true from the examples i showed him(i used allot of rolling perspective in the action sequences in the pages)...i appreciated the honesty, but when I made eye contact with him again, he just seemed really pleased with himself(maybe he was really happy he was helping me). I thought it was just me. I really didn't think anything of it, he did seem a unfriendly at the time...I read this post and saw that some other people thought that he was unfriendly as well...or that he was known for being that way....so i shared my experience. Either way he was honest and helpful,but i got the feeling he was unfriendly/not in the best of moods.I would label as a tough crit, not a bad one. It was no where near my bart sears experience,which was bad.

Fresco
08-09-2006, 04:24 AM
I've even gotten a review from you in artist alley before (in dallas, the year your photo made the paper). Its no joke that larsen would higher you (who wouldn't)...your art is sick. I just can't see why your not doing regular work from the big 2. Don't worry about me giving up...I'm way to stubborn for that.
Glad to read that you are a stubborn one Nicholas-- keep us posted on when we can all head out to the nearest comic shop to pick up your next project. That was the first time Wizard World ever did a show in Texas... what a fun show... and the newspaper thing completely took me by sursprise. How crazy was that!

I appreciate the kind words about my artwork. Thanks for stopping by and showing me you stuff man. Hope to cross paths again with you one of these days, and better yet-- looking forward to when we can be Artist Alley neighbors, and we can keep an eye out for each other's stuff as we go pick up swag from around the show. ;)

Craig DeBoard
08-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Craig... go back and reread my previous posts. I totally understand people having bad days (and mentioned that PLAINLY in previous posts). Go... read... then inhale, exhale, and quote someone else for your next example.

i did the first time...

see...

but this is not an FOF instance in my case with Neal Adams. This is a friend's account...

apparently you didn't.

The point to all of it is, most of the shit is exagerated because people either A. are jealous idiots or
2. don't have thick enough skin for crits.

I'm sure there are rare instances (possibly even the one you mentioned Lynn) but they are few and far between, and most of the shit is embellished to beyond the point of being ridiculus.

And besides all of that, who would take that shit. I don't give a flying fuck, if Adams grabbed my work and waved it around and started yelling that it was masturbation, I'd slap him across the face back into his damn chair and dare him to get the fuck back out of it. People should stand up for themselves, not take bullshit just because some asshole used to be hot 20 years ago.

Would it get me thrown in jail? Probably. But could you just imagine the publicity you'd get for it!!! :w00t:

DungeonMasterJm
08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Is it possible that some of the people getting portfolio reviews maybe said something to piss off the guy doing the review?

I know for a long time I never use to smile after making a sarcastic remark and people would think I was serious. I've heard many a friend and several close friends say something to the effect of 'when I first met you I thought you were a jerk..." :(

DM Jim - a lot better at first impressions these days.

Mr.Musgrave
08-09-2006, 09:13 AM
And besides all of that, who would take that shit. I don't give a flying fuck, if Adams grabbed my work and waved it around and started yelling that it was masturbation, I'd slap him across the face back into his damn chair and dare him to get the fuck back out of it. People should stand up for themselves, not take bullshit just because some asshole used to be hot 20 years ago.

We agree for a second time.

And Adams reminds me of Howard Chaykin: The only people talking about how great they are at this point is themselves.

D.J. Coffman
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
VERY true... people are people.

(btw: cool story about the gold marker BRUTE) got a digi-pic of it somewhere?
Would love to see it.

You know what? That was way back in like 1992 or 93-- I know exactly where it's at, so I might just take a photo of that and put it in here.

DJC

Raven
08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
I get what you're saying and all, but once again this isn't something any of us actually had seen. It a friend's account...and I don't care who your friend is...everyone exagerates.

But I won't argue the point, if you say it is, then you would know better than I, since I've never seen an Adams review, and I don't know your friend.

These guys have to deal with all of this, so do try to keep in mind that they're people too, and can get iritated or have headaches or get jet lag just like any of us.

Its funny. We can get iritated with our kids when we had too much to drink the night before and tell them to go in their rooms and play when we have a headache...but guys like Larsen or Sears or Adams can't tell someone they need work on their foreshortening or anatomy after having severe jet lag.

Oh boo hoo hoo. I get paid to sit around and make comics all day, get a paid flight to a convention full of fans, and now I have to be NICE to them too?

If they don't want to hear it, they can stay in their hotel room. If they come down on the convention floor, they should be prepared for even the most annoying fans and deal with it in a professional manner.

D.J. Coffman
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Oh boo hoo hoo. I get paid to sit around and make comics all day, get a paid flight to a convention full of fans, and now I have to be NICE to them too?

If they don't want to hear it, they can stay in their hotel room. If they come down on the convention floor, they should be prepared for even the most annoying fans and deal with it in a professional manner.

THAT is really not their job though. Often times they are invited to these things, and i mean, there are several factors to take into account. Sure these guys are happy they're making comics for a living--- I sat next to one guy once, who was TOTALLY happy to meet the fans and draw for them for free, saying to me, he felt he owed it to them now because they put him where he was. I admired that. In the same conversation though, he also said that pretty much taking time out for conventions also put him behind on his deadlines and he was going back to his hotel room to draw Xmen all night and had to send in pages the next morning!

Now THAT is dedication. Not everyone can act the same way.

It's no shocker that Rob Liefeld is an asshat, has been one, and it'll be his legacy--- which is, frankly, kinda sad. It could have went a different way for him, and the comic book circle is really unforgiving when it comes to this stuff.

JamieRoberts
08-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Heh. Asshat.

Fresco
08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Heh. Asshat.

heh heh
that DJ COFFMAN always cracks me up...

heh get it? ...'cracks' me up :slap: owww...

D.J. Coffman
08-09-2006, 02:43 PM
heh heh
that DJ COFFMAN always cracks me up...

heh get it? ...'cracks' me up :slap: owww...

OH, YOU!

Craig DeBoard
08-09-2006, 04:31 PM
We agree for a second time.

Yeah...I think hell just got two degrees colder.

Lynn Lefey
08-10-2006, 02:43 AM

Would it get me thrown in jail? Probably. But could you just imagine the publicity you'd get for it!!! :w00t:

Wow... so no one else is going to call you on this, huh? Compared to the 'this happened to someone I know', a statement of "I'd whup (fill in blank)'s ass" is several miles farther in the bull-shit category. What it would GET you is a reputation of being a criminal who assaulted people. You would not get work from it, just jail time. That's assuming you'd actually DO it, which I seriously doubt. If you would actually do such a thing, then you need to go seek professional treatment. Now.

Sure, someone treating others like that isn't cool, but way farther on the uncool scale is criminal assault. Adults don't DO that. At least not mentally stable ones. Put the billy-bad-ass posturing away.

Craig DeBoard
08-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Yeah you know me. :yawn: Eat my ass.

It's isn't about bullshit posturing. It's about standing up for one's self and not being humiliated in public by some fucktard.

I wouldn't give a shit if it was Jack fucking Kirby, I'd do the same thing. Sorry but I won't kiss ass or let myself be humiliated by some jack off to save face just for a job. Unlike a lot of people, I have dignity and I'll stand up for myself.
I could give two shits what you think of me.

'Billy Bad Ass". :yawn: Grow the fuck up. It's about standing for one's beliefs...not being a hard-ass.

Regardless, like I said half the shit said about the folks doing reviews is made up and the other half is wild imagination compounded on a slight inkling of truth and then set free.

Sure I'll buy Adams was saying it's masturbation...right after I get a lobotomy.

I was stating MY opinion. If you agree or disagree I don't really care, as everyone is entitled to their opinion. You want to toss insults, then go fuck off, assflap.

kdmelrose
08-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Closed by the testosterone police.

:slap: