PDA

View Full Version : A THIEF in our Midst

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Hello everyone.

Please check this guy's blog against your color work. He stole my Dwarf pin-up, and I doubt any of the other pieces are his either.

THIEF'S SITE (http://bobacus.blogspot.com/)

EDIT: After having called him out, the owner of the site removed my piece, as well as the other two pieces I could track down. However, I would still check the site to see if his remaining pieces are his own or someone else's.

fmcuonzo
08-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Holy crap Lynn! You're totally right. Looks like he tried to change it up from your original like in the flesh areas but damn that's messed up. You need to call him on that.

Nope that whole thing is yours just compared the two.

Ron Phillips
08-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Hello everyone.

Please check this guy's blog against your color work. He stole my Dwarf pin-up, and I doubt any of the other pieces are his either.

THIEF'S SITE (http://bobacus.blogspot.com/)

Where's your version?

fmcuonzo
08-04-2006, 07:39 PM
If you click on Lynn's name you can see all threads started by her. should be the last one

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Here (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93837) is my post.

By the way, this guy stole his sequentials from the 2nd page of LSH Sequentials (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90530&page=2) , post by Benny Fuentes as well. Does anyone else recognize the other work?

fmcuonzo
08-04-2006, 07:57 PM
the Spider-Man one looks familiar but not sure where he stole it from.

Ron Phillips
08-04-2006, 08:01 PM
That's pretty sad.

He's a member here. He goes by Bobacus. Just like in his blogger account.

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Ban his ass.

Buckyrig
08-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Pitchforks and torches!!!

stardreamn
08-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Yes... that dwarf is so yours Lynn... go get that diry bas****. (there may be children present. How could someone do that?... to what benefit? If he's a member here then maybe he should be any more. Damn is there anyone that wouldn't be pissed if it was there work. We work hard at this!

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Here's where he got his Spidey Pic from...
http://www.deviantart.com/view/15105207/

Craig DeBoard
08-04-2006, 08:23 PM
No need to ban the guy. Just call his ass out on it and make him explain himself. He won't come back then.

I'm gonna e-mail the guy that did the Spidey colors and let him know.

What a dick.

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 08:26 PM
I already e-mailed both the other artists whose work I've identifiied, as well as leaving comments on the thief's blog as to where his art came from.

Scaleyinx
08-04-2006, 08:30 PM
:eek:

Well, your my hero Lynn, for taking action against this dude. He should be baninated!

kdmelrose
08-04-2006, 08:36 PM
It looks like he just removed the pieces.

Lovecraft13
08-04-2006, 08:40 PM
How did you find out your work was posted on his blog?

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Good, good. Now, about that banning?

kdmelrose
08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Good, good. Now, about that banning?

Eh, I don't know about that. If we start banning people for what they do off-forum, the list would get pretty lengthy.

Do we ban small/self-publishers who stiff creators, or creators who flake out?

Besides, banning him wouldn't prevent him from co-opting artwork.

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
:mad:

Well, can I at least deride him loudly in a public forum until his man-parts wilt under the awesome onslaught of my wrath?

Lovecraft13
08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I don't think he intended to "steal" anyone's work, par se. He probably got a little too ambitious with colouring pin-ups he found online, and posted them without permission or crediting the original artist on his blog. It ain't right, but the dude's probably a kid who needs to be smacked. Of course, not that I'm defending the dude, but this kinda thing probably happens way more than people know. You're lucky you discovered the deed while you did. Did you find his blog by accident? Did he post the coloured art on other sites?

kdmelrose
08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
:mad:

Well, can I at least deride him loudly in a public forum until his man-parts wilt under the awesome onslaught of my wrath?

Sure, why not.

Buckyrig
08-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Besides, banning him wouldn't prevent him from co-opting artwork.

No, but using his registration information to track him down and "talk" with him face to face might. :whistlin: :)

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't think he intended to "steal" anyone's work, par se. He probably got a little too ambitious with colouring pin-ups he found online, and posted them without permission or crediting the original artist on his blog. It ain't right, but the dude's probably a kid who needs to be smacked. Of course, not that I'm defending the dude, but this kinda thing probably happens way more than people know. You're lucky you discovered the deed while you did. Did you find his blog by accident? Did he post the coloured art on other sites?
That might fly if it was black and white lineart he had stolen, but it was colored art.

lightningage1
08-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Actually, he sent the link to his site in response to an ad for a colorist by my studio. He said that was his color work and he has been working at it for 2 years. At the same time Lynn replied and her portfolio had the same dwarf picture in it. When we asked about the similar picture she offered us the decompressed photoshop version of the dwarf pic. So it seems he did intend on passing other peoples work as his own. very sad.

Lovecraft13
08-04-2006, 09:03 PM
That might fly if it was black and white lineart he had stolen, but it was colored art.

Oops. I didn't know he claimed someone else's coloured work as his own. If that's the case, I retract my original statement.

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 09:04 PM
You're lucky you discovered the deed while you did. Did you find his blog by accident? Did he post the coloured art on other sites?

I only learned of it when I applied to the request for a colorist by Lightning Age, which rejected my work flat out due to it being a duplicate of another artist's submission they recieved. Wanna guess whose?

He knew what he was doing, and did it intentionally, AND nearly wrecked my reputation, AND maybe lost me a gig.

ROBERT SHAFFER (AKA Bobacus), I do not want to see a post on these boards from you until I get a public apology. A post in this thread will do, for that purpose.

Lovecraft13
08-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Actually, he sent the link to his site in response to an ad for a colorist by my studio.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember him sending me a similar response to my ad from a few days ago. I should still have it in my inbox.

*Edit. Yes, I do have his submission in my inbox. I won't post the content, but he did provide a link to his blog. I thought that dwarf looked familiar.

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 09:08 PM
What was he goign to do if he got the gig?
Surely he didn't think he could pull off the deception. His colors aren't that good.

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 09:09 PM
And that's what I told him in my first e-mail to him.

lightningage1
08-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Exactly my point LOL

Lovecraft13
08-04-2006, 09:14 PM
For instances like this, I wished there was some kind of universal comic book creator's directory that would list positive and negative feedback of a past collaboration-- kinda like how Ebay allows people to view the ratings of their sellers. That way, when people respond to ads, the person looking to hire them could check to see if they have any red flags.

Buckyrig
08-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Ask for references. That's as much as one can do in any industry.

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Just hire me and you won't have any problems ... until I get too many gigs and then start using Chinese slave labor :D

Buckyrig
08-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Just hire me and you won't have any problems ... until I get too many gigs and then start using Chinese slave labor :D

Do you have verifiable references? :cool:

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Yep

MrGranger
08-04-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm sure he'll post, but it does say that the board is just a test. His mistake might have been using other people's work as a place keeper. Playing devil's advocate.

L Jamal
08-04-2006, 09:28 PM
the mistake was getting caught.

Ron Phillips
08-04-2006, 10:04 PM
He won't post. He's never posted a single thread or comment since he joined. He just lurks and I guess steals.

BTW, why was this thread moved from the Colorist Showcase?

kdmelrose
08-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Probably because it wasn't showcasing color?

Lynn Lefey
08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
But it is directly dealing with color work stolen FROM that colorist showcase. For those folks who check the colorist section, and perhaps not this one, it seemed (to me) the logical place to put it, but I'm not mad that it was moved. As long as this is public knowledge.

innocentboy
08-04-2006, 10:48 PM
didn't check the link yet (if i do), but yeah, IF he did purposly teef that shit, like stardreamn said ... to what benefit?
it's kinda sad really.

Awesomus Prime
08-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Funny how all his stuff is in a different style eh?

Filthy how people would do this. Steal my wallet but leave my work alone.

L Jamal
08-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Funny how all his stuff is in a different style eh?
Hey! I color in several diferent styles. I'm versatile :D

kdmelrose
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM

Crayon and Magic Marker are not "different styles."

:p

L Jamal
08-05-2006, 11:18 AM
I use spray paint too so I have my child style (crayons), my teen style (markers) and my rebel style (spray paint). Although it's harder to get the spray paint off my monitor.

j giar
08-05-2006, 11:38 AM
After reading over this thread..this confirms or escalates some of my fears and concerns. I know somewhere on here it's been asked about copyright and protecting your work. And this piece of shit did exactly that. The worst part of it all is that he may or may not have caused Lynn to not get the gig and throw doubt in her direction....and Jamal, not matter what and even though I've only been here alittle over a year, there are miles and miles of differences between you and assface. I've only had one business dealing with you on purchasing my first Warmeggedon and you handled yourself and our transaction as a professional. For that reason alone I trust you and several others here. It's a shame that some leach wiggles in here and leaves a stain. He obviously has no talent or is so insecure of his own ability that he takes from others to better his situation. The only good thing to come of this is he's been outed and strung up for display. ....
Now we must treat him like a pinata and take turns beating him with a stick. :slap:

Buckyrig
08-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I WENT TO COLLEGE!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lynn Lefey
08-05-2006, 01:34 PM
My e-mail I sent this guy after he removed my piece,

"Mr. Shaffer,
I appreciate that you removed the artwork that you
stole. It was terribly
considerate of you to take it off your site once I
tagged it as STOLEN.
Please let me know in the future if you intend to
STEAL my or any other
artist's work. I will check your site periodically,
and report any stolen art.
Lynn"

The happy response I recieved from my good, dear friend via e-mail this morning.

"Mr. deusche bag,
If you ever accuse me of stealing again and write a
letter like this to me again, I'll make sure youre
name is smeared really nice. I don't know who you are
and what art youre talking about, but I took it down
cause I have been where you are. And I have also been
wrong when I thought it happened to me. THis "art"
aint yours, you didnt draw it. You colored it like a 5
year old and want credit. It's not a problem for me to
take it down. I got a stack of stuff here I have done
legitamitely. But because you have been such a jag
about it I may just post it again. Good luck in the
future."

And I find it particularly funny "You colored it like a 5
year old and want credit". Hah! Yes, I DO want credit for coloring it.

I would appreciate anyone who participates on other forums to dissiminate this fellow's name.

Buckyrig
08-05-2006, 01:38 PM
What's a "deusche bag"? :blink:

It is a good idea to spell check before firing off an angry missive.

stahss
08-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I got a stack of stuff here I have done legitamitely
"It's right next to the stack of stuff I stole!"

Lovecraft13
08-05-2006, 01:47 PM
You know, it's fine you caught the dude, but don't start posting personal stuff in the public. It makes you both look bad.

kdmelrose
08-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Okay, this thread has served its purpose: Other colorists have been warned, and the person in question has removed the offending pieces from his blog.

So now it's closed.