PDA

View Full Version : Preventing THEFT.

Craig DeBoard
08-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I just went back and re-read the entire THIEF in our Midsts thread. I think i may have found a solution for all of us so this won't happen to any of us anymore. It's an HTML tag that prevents others from right-clicking on your pics on your site and stealing them to post elsewhere.

This won't stop people completely but it will help deter those who aren't too computer savvy. here's the link for the tag and information on placing it onto your site.

http://www.hypergurl.com/norightclick.html

sgotr
08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Craig I read some of those posts too I thought the image was downloaded from a fourm here at DW? If so how would the right click be added to the post when posting?

Mecha
08-05-2006, 05:55 PM
There's actually a way to get around that... click the mouse buttons in a certain order and the save menu comes up.

There's also the Print Screen button.

This is why more and more of us are watermarking our art.... although it does make it cumbersome for critiquing as I discovered.

L Jamal
08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
Anyone willing to steal an image isn't likely to be deterred by javascript.
All you'd have to do is quote the post here and have direct access to the URL.

If you have time to spend worrying about your work being stolen then you aren't doing enough to promote yourself. Anyone stealing from someone else is eventually outted as a fraud.

WickedWiggins
08-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Watermark everything!

Spacious Interior
08-05-2006, 10:22 PM
My buisiness card has a watermark.... but that's mostly there just to piss off Pat Bateman.

D.J. Coffman
08-06-2006, 12:18 AM
A while ago, there was a guy stealing a bunch of PV COmics creators art, including Nate Piekos, Freddy Lopez and myself--- he'd take the images and re letter them and claim them as his own. I think he was only doing it to piss us all off though, but we shut him down big time.

Lynn Lefey
08-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Every image you ever see on your screen is saved to your hard drive (in the temporary internet files directory for you windows users). Scripting stuff won't do it, IMO.

Paul Sanderson
08-06-2006, 02:00 AM
Watermarking sounds like an easy and solid option to partially solve the problem.

L Jamal
08-06-2006, 02:02 AM
except to watermark properly you obscure the image.

ShanE
08-06-2006, 02:29 AM
Not just the long run, but even in the short term a artist may get paying projects with other peoples art, but it will all be undone when they can't perform to the standards set by the quality of the art they steal.

Craig DeBoard
08-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Well like I said, it's just a deterant, not an actual way to stop it all together.

Craig I read some of those posts too I thought the image was downloaded from a fourm here at DW? If so how would the right click be added to the post when posting?

Not really sure about that one. It's an html code. Can html tags be added to posts? Anyone?

My suggestion is to do this AND do the watermark thing. I haven't done it yet myself, but i do plan to. It may not help a lot but one never knows.

Craig DeBoard
08-06-2006, 08:06 AM
If you have time to spend worrying about your work being stolen then you aren't doing enough to promote yourself. Anyone stealing from someone else is eventually outted as a fraud.

I'll agree they're eventually outed as fraud's and all, but to say if your worried about your stuff being stolen means you aren't doing enough to promote yourself, isn't nessesarily fair to say. There's nothing wrong with being cautious. DJ and Nate probably never thought it would happen to them but it did...and they probably (hope I'm not speaking too much for you here DJ, please correct me if I am) and they probably atleast once in a great great while think about the possibility of it happening again, or possibly took preventive measures. Does that mean they aren't doing enough to promote themselves?

It's NEVER a bad idea to protect yourself and your work. It's ALWAYS a bad idea to think it could never happen to you.

L Jamal
08-06-2006, 09:07 AM
DJ just stated that it happened. He didn't state he was worried about it and he had it shut down. In fact, he hasn't done anything to prevent from happening again. This suggests to me that he doesn't think it's a big problem.

It is a bad idea to protect your work if it keeps others from enjoying it. The best way to protect the work is not posting it online, but that does serve your purposes well at all.

Craig DeBoard
08-06-2006, 03:17 PM
If you re-read my post I clearly state that I hope I'm not speaking too much for him and to correct me if I'm wrong...about him atleast being worried once in a great great great while about it.

I admit the high possibilty that I could be wrong. Thats all.

The point was, it's not fair to say "hey, you're worrying about someone stealing your stuff. that means you aren't promoting your work enough".

Thats insane.

How much a person promotes their work is up to them and what they feel is "enough" is up to them, and if they feel they need to be cautious and protect their work, then there should be nothing wrong with that.

I'll say it once again.

It's NEVER a bad idea to protect yourself and your work. It's ALWAYS a bad idea to think it could never happen to you.

Finding ways to protect your work doesn't mean you won't be able to let anyone enjoy it.

In fact, he hasn't done anything to prevent from happening again.

Fair enough. But let's say just for example after the one guy on here stole stuff, and since DJ's stuff has been stolen before, he opts to start trying to find ways to protect his work, just for example mind you. Would that mean DJ is then not doing enough to promote himself? No. It means that he's being cautious is all from potential theives. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said...just an example.

Bottom line. You are in no authority to state a creator isn't promoting their work enough. It's THEIR work. That creator of their work should be the only authority on that. Not a fellow poster on a message board on the internet.

kdmelrose
08-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I think you're misinterpreting Jamal's sentiment, or reading too much into it.

It's along the lines of, "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." If you're spending time worrying about someone swiping your work, that's time you're not devoting to promotions (or creation, or research, or ...).

L Jamal
08-06-2006, 04:23 PM
exactly
This is why I'm writing the Gospel of Melrose.
2000 years from now everyone will be worshipping the Great Melrose

kdmelrose
08-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Two thousand years?

Do we have to wait that long?

Mwynn
08-06-2006, 04:28 PM
exactly
This is why I'm writing the Gospel of Melrose.
2000 years from now everyone will be worshipping the Great Melrose
People already worship Melrose Place.

L Jamal
08-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Two thousand years?

Do we have to wait that long?
Patience, Grasshopper. Religions aren't built in a day (those are cults).

Calloway
08-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Freakin Kevin is a damn computer...he has to be....

http://coolest-homemade-costumes.shippony.com/images/theme/space/robots/robot-costume-03.jpg

Buckyrig
08-06-2006, 05:36 PM
That's a robot numbnuts. :nyah:

Paul Sanderson
08-06-2006, 06:04 PM
except to watermark properly you obscure the image.

Then it wasn't done properly.

Craig DeBoard
08-07-2006, 02:12 AM
I think you're misinterpreting Jamal's sentiment, or reading too much into it.

It's along the lines of, "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." If you're spending time worrying about someone swiping your work, that's time you're not devoting to promotions (or creation, or research, or ...).

I see now. Sorry jamal. my bad.