PDA

View Full Version : Page Rates For A Colourist...

Gav Heryng
08-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Hi, folks. My apologies if a thread like this already exists, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I'm basically just trying to find out what the going page rates are for colourists at the moment. What sort of money do colourists look for?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Dis

Deadfish07
08-07-2006, 08:53 AM
I have a friend who's worked with the mid-level publishers (Dabel, Alias, etc) and he told me they pay $40 and up.

Aaron Hübrich
08-07-2006, 09:00 AM
The answers you'll get will be wide ranging and I don't suspect many pro-colorists to start coughing up their rates. But you can estimate that, based on someone's experience, the range can be $50-$125 per page these days.

Flatters can get $10-$15 per page by laying in the base colors, so it's usually calcualted in on the rate for a colorist. If you can color 2 pages a day at $115 each, then you're getting about $100 per page once you pay a flatter. That breaks down to $200 per day or $4000 per month if you work 20 days out of the month (with 2 pages a day). If you get 22 pages a month though, that would only be $2200 per month, so make sure you can survive on that...

At that rate you're competing against other top pro's who can even do more work than that, so keep that in mind. Pricing yourself lower is possible, but then you're balancing more work to make up for the lower rate. It tends to even out in the end, so finding that right balance becomes the toughest part.

Good luck!

Jasen Smith
08-18-2006, 12:32 AM
Im a fairly new colorist and have done 2 projects a month since starting....everyone has more than willing to come up with a payment plan and therefore I have always been paid for the work.....recently Ive done work for a certain publishers who says they sent the money but I believe them to be lieing.

1) they wont tell me what happened to it. (a check in the mail can be located easily nowadays)

2) Hasnt answered me in the past week.

3) keeps telling me that "I'll see what happened to it and get back to you later in the week."

4) It was stated in a contract as most are that it will be paid on a certain time...its been 50 days late.

What are we supposed to do if they break the contract?

Ninjai
08-18-2006, 02:22 AM
This answer really depends on the quality you want. If you're looking for top pro's expect something around $150-$200 per page with covers and pinups a bit more. Top colorists are in high demand and believe me, you need them more than they need you - if you have to have the high quality be ready to pay for it.

shushubag
08-18-2006, 02:37 AM
This answer really depends on the quality you want. If you're looking for top pro's expect something around $150-$200 per page with covers and pinups a bit more. Top colorists are in high demand and believe me, you need them more than they need you - if you have to have the high quality be ready to pay for it.

Damn straight! Finding a colorist is a bitch. Finding a good colorist is more of a bitch and it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Ninjai do you guys at optic studios have a flat rate or do you guys work deals out individually?

You guys rock by the way.

r nelson
08-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Dis, I found this on ComicFoundry about a year, year and a half ago:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6113/06caputo2sv8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It's a bit outdated, but it's been a great guide, and with a little arithmetical jabberwockying, you can work out all sorts of different solutions to payment from work-for-hire to shared ownership of properties to percentage of profits, or any combination of the above.

TGK
08-18-2006, 11:13 AM

It's a bit outdated, but it's been a great guide, and with a little arithmetical jabberwockying, you can work out all sorts of different solutions to payment from work-for-hire to shared ownership of properties to percentage of profits, or any combination of the above.

Say , whats a finisher?

ryanscott
08-18-2006, 01:46 PM
My new goal is to be a pro cover colorist.

Pens&Pixels
08-18-2006, 01:49 PM
LOL...I've colored a lot of covers and have never made more than the guy who drew it.

ryanscott
08-18-2006, 02:08 PM
And here's how I'm going to achieve my goal... I'll find somebody to do my flats for 15$, and then trick a pro colorist to color a cover (I'll have to call it a splash page for this trick to work) for 150$, and I can walk away with 835 bucks (and up)

:laugh:

L Jamal
08-18-2006, 02:18 PM
lol

egets
08-18-2006, 02:29 PM
LOL...I've colored a lot of covers and have never made more than the guy who drew it.

That sounds soooooooo unfair :blink: How much more it has taken the penciller to learn his trade than the colourist his ?

Calloway
08-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Coloring is ALOT easier then doing pencils. If I felt like it I could pump out 5 colored pages in a 10 hour day.

Buckyrig
08-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Say , whats a finisher?

An inker who works with rough layouts. They often have to render the figures completely as some breakdown or layout pencilers put as little as basic shapes sometimes.

Pens&Pixels
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't know that one job is any easier than the other, but there usually is a difference in time spent between penciling and coloring. Also, pencilers are traditionally billed as the artist on a book and inkers and colorists are considered something more like assistants. I don't have any problem making less per page than any penciler I work with. It evens out in quantity.

grendel
08-19-2006, 03:28 PM
depending how you color or what you bring to the table..coloring can be as tedious as pencilling....a starting pro rate is usually over 80 dollars a page

Calloway
08-19-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it all comes down to personal preference as well. Coloring to me is easier then penciling, inking is harder then penciling and when I lettered (pre computers) that was the hardest of all.

innocentboy
08-19-2006, 08:49 PM

that's a nice chart still ... thanks for posting it up

ShanE
08-21-2006, 04:36 AM

I appear to be "seasoned " by those rates. The rate is what the market will bear. and indy definatley is not in the pro range as far as my experiance goes.

shane

Ninjai
08-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I would highly doubt you'd find ANY pro willing to do $50 a page. I think they're using a very loose interpretation of the term "pro". Cover colorist $1000 per page?? HAHAHAH. These guys seem to really have no clue when it comes to colorist rates.

Damn straight! Finding a colorist is a bitch. Finding a good colorist is more of a bitch and it'll cost an arm and a leg.

Ninjai do you guys at optic studios have a flat rate or do you guys work deals out individually?

You guys rock by the way.

At Optic Studios each of the colorists have a set starting rate that they set themselves. This can vary depending on the colorist but I can tell you that we think a $50 pp rate (and $1000 per cover) tickles us funny! If anything it should be the other way around. Covers are a higher commodity to color than sequentials and as a colorist I would take a pay cut to color a cover than a sequential.

Ron Phillips
08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Albeit said, those numbers are old. The are listed as being compiled from Tony Caputo's book which was published in 1997, which means it was done in 1996 and the data probably right before the bust. Point is those numbers aren't a reflection of current rates, even if ComicsFoundry posted it just over a year ago.

I'd be happy to write plots for $40 a page. What easy money.

Pens&Pixels
08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
I would highly doubt you'd find ANY pro willing to do $50 a page. I think they're using a very loose interpretation of the term "pro". Cover colorist $1000 per page?? HAHAHAH. These guys seem to really have no clue when it comes to colorist rates.

At Optic Studios each of the colorists have a set starting rate that they set themselves. This can vary depending on the colorist but I can tell you that we think a $50 pp rate (and $1000 per cover) tickles us funny! If anything it should be the other way around. Covers are a higher commodity to color than sequentials and as a colorist I would take a pay cut to color a cover than a sequential.

Since when are you a colorist? Really, except for the cover numbers, the rest isn't *that* far off. There are still plenty of companies paying in the $50-100 range for colors. It's not that unheard of and I think if you were actually a working professional, you'd know that. Granted, it may be below what some pros will work for or less than Marvel and DC are currently paying, but it does still happen with many companies. Also, lowering your rates for covers in supremely stupid. The industry average is that covers pay about 25-50% higher than the interior rates.

Calloway
08-21-2006, 02:31 PM
I wish I could get coloring jobs for just 25 bucks a page..man

Saraquael
08-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Looking at the chart and seeing that a starting colorist makes $5-20? Hmm.. ouch.

My work isn't even remotely as complex as real coloring. It's just a half step above flatting and it pays more than the rate they quote.

Pens&Pixels
08-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Really, there's no use even having a scale for the lower levels. For the most part, you're either working for free or $50/page+.

Agamemnon
08-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Really, there's no use even having a scale for the lower levels. For the most part, you're either working for free or $50/page+.

From the paying end (since I can't color, the only thing I can speak to), that rings pretty true to me. There are some people in between, but most of the time I have found you are either able to convince someone relitively new and talented to work for free (having good/pencil/inks helps) or you are paying at least $50 a page.