PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys fix your mistakes?

shushubag
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Just thought it'd be cool to see how everyone else fixes their mistakes.

I really hate erasing so I try to draw lightly and darken with inks, but when I screw up I have a bunch of different ways I fis it up. If it's small I'll use the whiteout strips, a white marker, or white ink, but it's too far gone I'll just cut another piece of bristol and glue it right over the mistake, but I'll cut out the entire panel and it'll go over so that it looks like the same page when it's scanned in.

Lynn Lefey
08-08-2006, 07:53 PM
As a colorist, I have developed the intricate method of fixing my mistake by clicking Edit-> Step Backward in Photoshop. Or sometimes I get wild and use the ALT+CTRL+Z hotkey for it.

I LOVE digital coloring. :)

When drawing, I use a hard lead (2h) for my initial sketches usually, or just draw lightly. I rarely erase, as it seems to change the way the paper accepts lead (graphite, or whatever the hell 'leads' are made from these days).

MatthewMonster
08-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Get it in Photoshop, Almost anything can be fixed there.

I just draw on better teh average printer that can hold ink ( its light enough to see through ) and I do a fix, then in Photoshop i just paste it in.

Lovecraft13
08-08-2006, 08:51 PM

http://www.keeganprints.com/images/shotgunwedding2.jpg

Imboden
08-09-2006, 01:48 AM
Usually either the [DEL] or [BACKSPACE] key.

Sometimes I'll hold down the [SHIFT] key and use the arrows to highlight a section of text and then use [CTRL] + [C] to copy the section and then [CTRL] + [V] to paste it. The alternative to that is after highlighting to use [SHIFT] + [DEL] to cut it and then [SHIFT] + [INSERT] to paste it back in.

If I really screwed the pooch, I'll highlight using the above mentioned method and then simply hit [DEL] to remove the whole shebang.

Nick Pitarra
08-09-2006, 02:20 AM
What about white-out, i literally use white out brand white-out on my inked illustrations(its the only thing that actually covers up the blacks). i'm not sure if its archival safe or not, but I've been doing it for awhile and I've been wondering if any of you guys use something more "professional",that actually does the job.

Scaleyinx
08-09-2006, 02:35 AM

You said "I do", to your sister :confused: ,... and then asked your dad to fix your mistake? :blink:

Wow, your life seriously echo's a Jerry Springer episode. :har:

theflash
08-09-2006, 01:47 PM
photoshop. i love some photoshop!

macclint
08-09-2006, 04:15 PM
You might try this....

http://www.artsupply.com/alvin/prowhite.htm

TAP_LEGION
08-11-2006, 12:40 AM
It all depends on the type of board your using. I use to use Holbein Acryla gouache(titanium white) to fix inking goofs but have recently switched to using good 'ol gesso and a nice piece of superfine sandpaper and smooth it out after.

I actually found an old brush/ink piece from 1992 last Fall , gessoed out the figures in the center and redrew the now "cleaned up " area with something completely new and different (and , in my opinon , better).

The only thing you need to remember is to let the gesso dry completely or it'll just come right up when the sanding starts.

Calloway
08-11-2006, 01:46 AM
Since I've gone all digital....undo works wonders!

Gwlister
08-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Command + Z and saving multiple versions if its digital, Windsor/Newton permanent white gouache for inks.

shushubag
08-17-2006, 07:09 AM
It all depends on the type of board your using. I use to use Holbein Acryla gouache(titanium white) to fix inking goofs but have recently switched to using good 'ol gesso and a nice piece of superfine sandpaper and smooth it out after.

I actually found an old brush/ink piece from 1992 last Fall , gessoed out the figures in the center and redrew the now "cleaned up " area with something completely new and different (and , in my opinon , better).

The only thing you need to remember is to let the gesso dry completely or it'll just come right up when the sanding starts.

OK I'm curious, what is gesso?

I wish I could use photoshop to fix my mistakes. I realize colorists and letterers got it easy. But me- I'm old fashioned, I don't scan it in till it's as perfect as I can get it. Of course all I do is pencil and ink so fixing mistakes- I mean major mistakes is a pain in the ass but a must. Wish I could hit delete and my pencils or inks would come off.

JSettnek
08-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Erasers are for suckers.
I make no mistakes. An artist puts a line precisely where he means to...

But it doesn't hurt if you have some pro-white, white mailing labels and an
X-acto with number 11 blade on hand... If you are the "ink on bristol" sort...

JAQ
08-17-2006, 10:31 PM
OK I'm curious, what is gesso?Gesso is the opaque white stuff that oil painters use to prime their canvas or board before painting on it.

Justice41
08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
FW makes a white ink.
http://www.daler-rowney.com/prod_catalogue/disp_Products.asp?category=6&brand=16
http://artistcraftsman.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/fwInk.jpg

JasonM
08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Justice41, excellent! How white is it after covering india ink? are we talking kinda gray like the area around the words here in the forum or does it get closer to the white area?

Justice41
08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
It's not india Ink, It's acrylic ink so I use both the black and white. As long as you keep the ink from drying out it acts just like any other ink plus it's waterproof. I use it just like regular black ink. It's solid white unless you water it down, so it doesn't mix with other inks unless both are still wet.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MARK A ROBINSON
08-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Normally if i have a set of boards penciled...

there's at least one mistake. I usually do it over- most of the time it's a panel that i just really don't like...If i can erase it and still keep the integrity of the board i'm pencilling on- great but sometimes surgery is needed-

I will measure out the panel on a seperate board- re-draw the bugger and get my trusty X-acto knife and cut it out and get my trusty glue stick and -

poof.

mistake be gone.

Siafu
08-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Wait a minute Mark, you mean to tell me you make mistakes?
That just can't be! lol

All I do for penciling, is erase like Mark and if not... I'm psychotic and redraw the whole damn page because I'm crazy like that

Inking... like most of you... command Z or undo

coloring... same as inking.

MARK A ROBINSON
08-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Wait a minute Mark, you mean to tell me you make mistakes?
That just can't be! lol

All I do for penciling, is erase like Mark and if not... I'm psychotic and redraw the whole damn page because I'm crazy like that

Inking... like most of you... command Z or undo

coloring... same as inking.

it's true...i know it's shocking. I do make "some tactical errors in sequential judgement in my quest for comicbook martyrdom..."

sigh.

it is difficult but even Rome was marred by such failures.

M.

peter m
08-31-2006, 10:44 PM
I use Paint or White out if its Real Bad I just Re-draw. It it can be a Pain but sometimes you spend almost as much time trying to Fix it.

Kody
04-02-2009, 10:37 AM
If I make a mistake on a panel I usually just fix it in Photoshop. If it's a BIG problem, I redraw that panel on a separate page and digitally drop it in.

I rarely use whiteout or any sort of correction fluid for fixing mistakes. But I do use it pretty often for textures and scratchy/gritty effects.

JAQ
04-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I fix my mistakes using time travel.

And in a moment I'm going to go back to last August and ask shushubag to start this thread.

The DarkMind
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM

And in a moment I'm going to go back to last August and ask shushubag to start this thread.

whoa... you're already almost 2 years in the past posting with a future date? :blink:

:nyah:

WCG Comics
04-02-2009, 06:21 PM
For tiny corrections, I simply use Pentel's whiteout. For slightly larger areas, I often use one-inch wide non-permanent adhesive strips (made by PostIt) that I lay down on the error and re-pencil/re-ink, and cut to size with an X-acto knife. This is a pretty seamless process. (I saw Milton Caniff make corrections in this way on a video, and I figured if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me!)

If I have to re-do an entire panel, I'll simply draw it on a separate piece of paper. Until recently, I would paste the new panel over the original art; nowadays, I just paste it in digitally in Photoshop.

I do depend more and more on doing corrections in Photoshop (even using it more to lay in solid blacks when I'm not 100% sure if I want to commit to it on the original page). But I try to make the art as camera-ready as possible in the original art before I scan it.

GigaLeo
04-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I do a lot of work in Photoshop, so Control+Z has become a trigger I don't even think about anymore. So much so that I was actually drawing by hand the other day, messed up, and without thinking felt my fingers tap that familiar cotnrol+z pattern :D

Biofungus
04-03-2009, 03:46 PM

I really hate erasing so I try to draw lightly and darken with inks, but when I screw up I have a bunch of different ways I fis it up. If it's small I'll use the whiteout strips, a white marker, or white ink, but it's too far gone I'll just cut another piece of bristol and glue it right over the mistake, but I'll cut out the entire panel and it'll go over so that it looks like the same page when it's scanned in.
Blame the inker/colorist.

zcotty
04-04-2009, 08:03 AM
I was going to do a witty CTRL-Z joke and laugh my ass off... but once again I was beaten to the punchline... multiple times! :(

I WILL have my revenge! :man:

NILgravity
04-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I was going to say with a shovel, but, wait I just did.

If I make a mistake I usually just put more black ink on it and it works out for me. I've come to realize the people that like the way I draw like the little marks in there that shouldn't be
That's how this started (http://www.nilgravity.com/mental703.html)

DJ Keawekane
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Hah! I knew that was you!

macnut
04-07-2009, 03:43 PM
I either correct mistakes in the penciling stage with a good old fashioned eraser, or in the inking stage after it's been scanned into Photoshop. I tried liquid paper and other stuff like that for the inking stage, but as I got more into PhotoShop I found it was just easier to do those corrections digitally. Made for a neater page too-the rubber stamp and pencil tools are becoming my dear old friends.