Digital Webbing Forums

Digital Webbing Forums (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/index.php)
-   DW Group Project (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   so, NEW DW group project? (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179599)

12013 11-24-2017 11:34 PM

so, NEW DW group project?
 
so..this was brought up by myself in the CHIT CHAT area while reminiscing about my time here..

and a few others that took part suggested that maybe we could try again.

so for those who don't know or don't recall, starting back in 2014 we did a big group XMEN project here where the artists here created an xmen book. I cant recall exactly but the first issue was like 25 pages or something like that. about a year later we did part 2 coming in around the same pages..in all maybe 50 pages by some really great artists here.

I'm at my work computer right now and cant look up the past links to those threads. but anyway, it was quite a bit of fun.

it was suggested that we do another one. though this time we would choose a different subject matter. it was suggested that we leave the big 2 publishers behind this time and do a more indi character or two. it was also suggested that something like SPAWN/HELLBOY be the subject. that's good enough for me, tho I'm not a huge Spawn fan anymore. but it can still be fun. visually fun as hell to draw.

SO...would anyone be interested?

ill throw in my 2 cents based on my being the guy that managed the last 2 projects over several months each.

I think its best, and I again offer to be, having ONE guy be ultimately in charge of the story and coordinating the thing. the reason I suggest this is that with the first issue I let people do whatever they wanted story wise in the pages that they were following. that made for some fun ideas, but overall it left the story going off in all kinds of directions that were really hard to follow up on and wrap up. and I would like it to have SOME kind of narrative structure.
so basically, I would write the plot and hand out the pages needed to every artist that want to participate depending on how many pages they wanted to do.
my plan is to keep it visually easy to draw but fun to make exciting visuals. so no big cities or cars or crazy shit. this would be a kind of small self contained story with SPAWN/HELLBOY (if that's the route we chose to go) and maybe 2-3 supporting characters.

I already have a story/plot in mind. personally, I would maybe rather have someone different that SPAWN, like maybe SAVAGE DRAGON. tho spawn and hellboy would make a hell of an interesting combo that do kinda work together. I just like Dragon better than spawn. hell...maybe all 3 could be in the book.

I have ideas of dark magiks being done, summoning's, conjuring's, cemeteries, heavy shadows, maybe even set in winter as well.

the book could be written intended to be a silent book. like Frank Millers Silent Night one off book from years ago.

anyway...these are just my ideas. I think it could be fun AF.

I also had an idea of us creating a whole NEW character that is kinda a Digitalwebbing character we can all own/none of us own to use as we want. but maybe that's to much. I don't know...

I am open to ideas though. character suggestions. story suggestions. but in the end, ONE person has to kinda run the ship and others have to follow along to keep it flowing and making some kind of sense.

if someone ELSE would like to be the overall manager of this thing and run it, I will step aside if needed. but to see it through the end, there is a lot of emailing and communicating clearly and it could take 2-3 months. at best. so if someone else wants to take this on, be prepared to commit to it.

ANYWAY...that's a long explanation of...is anyone else interested? I know a few of you were/are.

so ...let me know guys. lets talk ideas.

sevans 11-25-2017 02:57 AM

I personally love Hellboy.....but the idea of the an original character for DW is far more interesting to me.

Could easily go the horror/supernatural theme for the plot etc.
Too many people do the superhero schtick.

Should the artwork be kept b&w like last time, it would help make it abit more consistant.

Scribbly 11-25-2017 08:31 AM

Hey, what about a story having the Fist Of Justice, FOJ, for a DW character?
It could be of use and included on DW projects afterwards. IMHO.

jeffchris50 11-25-2017 02:44 PM

I would love to participate in a writing capacity of some sort, if possible.

12013 11-25-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribbly (Post 1871231)
Hey, what about a story having the Fist Of Justice, FOJ, for a DW character?
It could be of use and included on DW projects afterwards. IMHO.

I am not specifically interested in using FOJ specifically myself. He already exists here and my thought was to create a NEW guy. tho the more I think about it, I'm not sure how in the hell that would actually work...making a character with EVERYones input.
its almost like it would have to be just a visual design that has some element built in to him where the character can be written in various ways... like a multi-verse jumping guy that takes on different traits in the universe he jumps in to.
I don't know. that may not work exactly.

I personally am leaning to HELLBOY for sure in some capacity..he lends himself to lots of cool monsters to fight...

but I like that a few people are interested...lets keep the discussion going and see who else wants in and who can do what.

rob

12013 11-25-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchris50 (Post 1871239)
I would love to participate in a writing capacity of some sort, if possible.


I think that would be great. never did we have anyone interested in a writing part.

so..depending on how this whole thing shakes out, we could use scripting help to put words in the mouths of the characters, BUT...best case scenario we could find a letterer to actually put the words on the pages, otherwise, having a writer put thought into good actual scripts kinda goes wasted if it cant be read on the final product.

which is why I suggested making the book a silent book, cause the chance of getting a letterer seems slim to none.
maybe if we nail down specifics, if we come up with a plot idea, you can write the script in some or all of the thing to hand out to artists.

we will have to figure out how it will work... but yeah..id love to see someone interested in writing help in some way.

rob

Scribbly 11-25-2017 10:33 PM

Ok. Hellboy already exist. What powers the new guy should have? Let start from there.

12013 11-25-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribbly (Post 1871248)
Ok. Hellboy already exist. What powers the new guy should have? Let start from there.

I'm just not..interested in doing FOJ for this. BUT if I'm out voted, I can go along with the group.

as far as the new guy theory...

I threw out an idea of a universe jumping guy. kinda like quantam leap. sorta...

time traveler/universe traveler investigating... eliminating...something..? time/universe jumpers? like JCVD in Time-cop.

MAYBE...hes a ROBOT. Robocop hunting down whatever monsters/criminals/bad guys. runs into hellboy?

or a human traveler. super human? regular dude? if hes regular dude, what can he do that makes him special? powers? gadgets? shapeshifter??? that would lend him to being able to take many forms for many different situations.

what is hes an OLD guy...like the enforcer guy Mike Ehrmantraut from breaking bad/better call saul. heres this small unassuming old guy that knows Everything and is afraid of nothing, but looks like nothing. BUT, he can do... what? shapeshifter? become big strong metal guy? become hot girl? become lizard monster? whatever he needs to do...

I'm just spitballin ideas here. thoughts anyone?

Bishop 11-26-2017 02:08 AM

Iím in for some pages.

However, Iím not sure how the original character idea will work. Seems kind of difficult to wrangle everyone to a consensus on what that character should be.

sevans 11-26-2017 02:38 AM

Artists don't get to plot the story, so artists shouldn't really have a say in the character.
There are no superstar artists here. LOL

PLUS more of a challenge to create something that might not be your natural preference/likes.

eDuke 11-26-2017 10:17 AM

Do you want me to set up a separate forum area for this? Just say the word.
As far as FOJ is concerned, yeah, let's leave him out of this particular collaboration, mostly because Mike and I are working on a FOJ anthology series featuring writers and artists interested in showing us their take on the character. It'll be like our old anthology series "Digital Webbing Presents". Stay tuned.
/e

12013 11-26-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDuke (Post 1871256)
Do you want me to set up a separate forum area for this? Just say the word.
/e

Yeah if you could, that would be awesome. We are obviously very early stages but, considering the big turn out for the last 2 of these we did, im thinking others will join up soon enough.

Thanks Ed,

Rob

jeffchris50 11-26-2017 05:34 PM

I guess I could wait for the dedicated thread (thanks, btw, Ed), but I'll go ahead and jump in.

I know these are the early days of development on this (exciting) project, but I wanted to toss into the pot that I've got a few ideas for original characters/groups that have been brewing in my head for several years without an outlet. These ideas range from straight superhero to sci-fi/action to mystery to horror/gothic.

If we can nail down an initial idea of what direction we want to go, I'd be happy to do some spit-n-polishing on these concepts and present them to you guys.

Thanks

Chris

PS: Is there somewhere on the site I can go to see the previous, collaborative projects?

Bishop 11-26-2017 06:18 PM

Here's a link to the second one, but it looks like all the images are no longer available on rob's Deviant Art account.

http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/sho...=group+project

Bishop 11-26-2017 06:20 PM

And, here's the first. Same issue with images...

http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/sho...=group+project

paul brian deberry 11-26-2017 06:21 PM

Creating your own character for something like this would be more work than probably anyone would want to deal with.

Because this place is essential a fan site. A Spawn/Hellboy story would be cool and timely, both are expected to have movies within the next year and a half.

Perhaps a Spawn/Hellboy team up VS Krampus or even funnier Santa Claus.

I would love to help with the writing and lettering. Could probably bring in an artist or two to help with the art.

12013 11-26-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop (Post 1871268)
Here's a link to the second one, but it looks like all the images are no longer available on rob's Deviant Art account.

http://digitalwebbing.com/forums/sho...=group+project


thanks for finding those BISHOP. yeah..my Deviantart got nuked when my life fell apart a year and a half ago so...those links are all dead. I do still have files of the original art tho.
I just went and re-read all the comments and relived the experience of doing those 2 projects. kinda got me excited to do this new one.
when ED gets an official sub-forum place for this, we can put up a "sign-up" thread to see whos still interested.

rob

Bishop 11-27-2017 12:18 AM

I figured it was something like that. Glad youíre working things out, and that youíre back on DW.

Duane Korslund 11-27-2017 08:22 AM

Im definitely in for whatever is decided.

on a side note: I think there are enough artists and writers to really draft out an entire original DW universe...do it old school Stan Lee style building up Marvel. Split up a few teams to cover 3 or 4 different books, have the writers interweave them in the same universe. But that's probably over reaching.

12013 11-27-2017 05:00 PM

Ok... but think its good to keep it not so complicated.

Im gonna say something with Hellboy and maybe Spawn. Does anyone have a different suggestion rather than spawn or is that good enough for everyone?

I also have an idea from a witch character to be an antagonist in the story. The one causing trouble.
This could be an original design.

So...my thought...all artists looking to participate...how about you all start doing some female evil witch designs and we can see what design we like best and use that? Is that an idea? Lets get some sketching going and create a villian type.

Anyone game..?

Rob

jeffchris50 11-27-2017 07:11 PM

One of my aforementioned characters actually IS a witch who is a good guy, but I could easily see switching her over to a bad girl if you're interested. Or perhaps it could be a case of classic misunderstanding...?

sevans 11-28-2017 01:03 AM

Hellboy and ..... Manthing

Hellboy and ..... Frankenstein's Monster

just brain storming.

jeffchris50 11-28-2017 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevans (Post 1871306)
Hellboy and ..... Manthing

Hellboy and ..... Frankenstein's Monster

just brain storming.


Good ideas, sevens. What about a story with Hellboy interwoven with several of the classic Universal monsters; Dracula, Frankensteinís Monster, The Mummy, The Wolfman, The Invisible Man and The Creature all while on a mission that transports him to different locales AND time periods giving each participating artist a chance to have their own particular arc depending on which monsters they dig. Heck we could even toss in a few of the more obscure UM, as well...

Duane Korslund 11-28-2017 08:13 AM

Hellboy/Constantine for a weird dynamic

Hellboy/Angela for some duality.

Hellboy/Purgatory for....shizz and giggs.

Bishop 11-28-2017 12:23 PM

Hellboy/Archie
Hellboy/Bone
Hellboy/Darth Vader
Hellboy/Casper
Hellboy/Maxx

jeffchris50 11-28-2017 01:38 PM

Since we’re brainstorming....

Hellboy/Scooby Doo
Hellboy/Clifford, the “Big Red” Dog ;)

or, since Big Red has a penchant for cats,

Hellboy/Garfield (purely for yucks and yahoos)
Hellboy/Pink Panther (who never says a word)
Hellboy/Felix the Cat

12013 11-28-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchris50 (Post 1871309)
Good ideas, sevens. What about a story with Hellboy interwoven with several of the classic Universal monsters; Dracula, Frankensteinís Monster, The Mummy, The Wolfman, The Invisible Man and The Creature all while on a mission that transports him to different locales AND time periods giving each participating artist a chance to have their own particular arc depending on which monsters they dig. Heck we could even toss in a few of the more obscure UM, as well...

this one.. so far..i think has the best potential. I had suggested some kind of universe jumping thing.. but him facing off against classic monsters could be fun.. as well as any other weird monsters we want. each artist could take a specific monster... and handle that part of the story for however many pages they wanted to make it.

we would need to start the story off on a foot that sets up the concept that keeps Hellboy jumping around from place to place. maybe hes being dragged without his control...like getting sucked thru a vortex? each jump takes him to the next creature he encounters..

being that I have experience with managing these things from the last 2, I would suggest that I can take the opening of the story, do a few pages where the story is set up and hellboy is set upon his adventure...setting up everyone else to do their portion.. this also gives the artist the ability to be creative where we can say...for example.."okay BISHOP, your story has hellboy meeting Frankensteins monster. the only must haves is that hellboy needs to emerge from some kind of portal...and goes BACK into one at the end of your pages so the NEXT part is set up".

this gives the artist freedom to write the encounter visually as the want...to be horror themed..or funny..or adventure, or whatever they want.

and when its all put together with the art, we can have the writers that have wanted to join up script the thing with collaboration with the artist and add whatever dialogue they want.

I like this concept. leaves it open to a lot of variety and fun. anyone else agree...?

ROB

Duane Korslund 11-28-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12013 (Post 1871320)
this one.. so far..i think has the best potential. I had suggested some kind of universe jumping thing.. but him facing off against classic monsters could be fun.. as well as any other weird monsters we want. each artist could take a specific monster... and handle that part of the story for however many pages they wanted to make it.

we would need to start the story off on a foot that sets up the concept that keeps Hellboy jumping around from place to place. maybe hes being dragged without his control...like getting sucked thru a vortex? each jump takes him to the next creature he encounters..

being that I have experience with managing these things from the last 2, I would suggest that I can take the opening of the story, do a few pages where the story is set up and hellboy is set upon his adventure...setting up everyone else to do their portion.. this also gives the artist the ability to be creative where we can say...for example.."okay BISHOP, your story has hellboy meeting Frankensteins monster. the only must haves is that hellboy needs to emerge from some kind of portal...and goes BACK into one at the end of your pages so the NEXT part is set up".

this gives the artist freedom to write the encounter visually as the want...to be horror themed..or funny..or adventure, or whatever they want.

and when its all put together with the art, we can have the writers that have wanted to join up script the thing with collaboration with the artist and add whatever dialogue they want.

I like this concept. leaves it open to a lot of variety and fun. anyone else agree...?

ROB

Maybe some sort of Mcguffin he needs to assemble that has him jumping through different realms to get parts?

sevans 11-28-2017 04:44 PM

Maybe Hellboy has been sucked into old classic monster movies, ie Last Action Hero and has to solve a mystery to get out?

You could even throw an old Scooby doo episode in, for a crazy interlude.

jeffchris50 11-28-2017 05:25 PM

Perhaps have Hellboy and whomever he is set against being used in a big game of cosmic chess, checkers or RISK? Perhaps having big Hollywood studio heads (fictional, of course) as the gamesters using Hellboy and his various opponents as the pieces until their game has ended and someone is the winner, not realizing that their game pieces have minds and wills of their own and come to collect at the games' end. Just spit balling, but it would be a great excuse for having the "game pieces" being moved around and transported from place to place....

Scribbly 11-28-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevans (Post 1871253)
Artists don't get to plot the story, so artists shouldn't really have a say in the character.
There are no superstar artists here. LOL.

Oppps... this is a good way to start going to nowhere.
Yeah, lets discriminate the artist's criteria for beginnings.

What about working w public domain characters? There are some old superheroes and villains out there that can be of use.

12013 11-28-2017 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribbly (Post 1871331)
Oppps... this is a good way to start going to nowhere.
Yeah, lets discriminate the artist's criteria for beginnings.

.



I feel I need to reiterate that the more complicated we try to make the story the harder it gets to keep it making sense.

that's why I like the idea of the character jumping around and each artist getting to have him kinda so whatever they want, but doesn't interfere with the next persons take on the adventure. this keeps it fun and interesting for the ARTIST as well like Scribbly here is talking about...giving them some creative control while still operating under some kind of rule that keep this thing making some kind of sense.

it NEEDS to be simple...or it starts falling apart. because its ALL of us doing something, it needs simplicity... not complicated story sets ups that people will get lost in.

rob

jeffchris50 11-28-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12013 (Post 1871332)
I feel I need to reiterate that the more complicated we try to make the story the harder it gets to keep it making sense.

that's why I like the idea of the character jumping around and each artist getting to have him kinda so whatever they want, but doesn't interfere with the next persons take on the adventure. this keeps it fun and interesting for the ARTIST as well like Scribbly here is talking about...giving them some creative control while still operating under some kind of rule that keep this thing making some kind of sense.

it NEEDS to be simple...or it starts falling apart. because its ALL of us doing something, it needs simplicity... not complicated story sets ups that people will get lost in.

rob

I have to agree with you, Rob. Half the problem with comics today is they're too darn complicated; too many "moving parts" to try and keep track of. Back in the day when I was writing my independent comic (and I mean waaaaaay back, LOL!) I made an effort to model my storytelling and plotting on early MARVEL because Stan Lee (and later writers/editors, as well) understood that you didn't have to have a complex story for it to be good. KISS----not just a band, but a good philosophy for a lot of life....

Morganza 11-28-2017 10:09 PM

I love the Scooby Doo crossover Idea!

12013 11-28-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morganza (Post 1871334)
I love the Scooby Doo crossover Idea!

Well i think we just found your section sir. If u have the time. This is still very early stages...

my art in case anyone wants to see...
https://robnor101.deviantart.com/gallery/

Scribbly 11-28-2017 11:13 PM

What about Dracula, Frankenstein or the Wolf man fighting against animated cartoons characters? In a very bloody way!

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-l...-horror-movies

sevans 11-28-2017 11:39 PM

Quote:

Oppps... this is a good way to start going to nowhere.
What? I actually don't understand that statement or it's grammer. Again, what?

masked_ramen 11-29-2017 12:05 AM

Welcome back Rob. Count me in.

12013 11-29-2017 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masked_ramen (Post 1871341)
Welcome back Rob. Count me in.

HELL YEAH..

and thanks man. much appreciated.

rob

Scribbly 11-29-2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevans (Post 1871339)
What? I actually don't understand that statement or it's grammer. Again, what?

What?
Quote:

Artists don't get to plot the story, so artists shouldn't really have a say in the character.
Really?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1997-2015 Digital Webbing, LLC