Digital Webbing Forums

Digital Webbing Forums (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/index.php)
-   DW Group Project (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   NEXT project. what would it even be? (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180241)

12013 04-28-2018 03:06 PM

NEXT project. what would it even be?
 
now..not that this will even be a thing for a while...IF we decide to do anything...

but if we choose to start up another project... what could it possibly even be?

what would be a concept that intrigues all parties and gives enough flexibility and freedom to let all kinds of differing writers and artists creative control to do what would interest them but STILL come together as some kind of cohesive single story or some type.?

that's why I came up with the story/plot structure of the Hellboy project, where we all are doing the same character but having him able to meet up with literally anyone anywhere, therefor making it interesting (hopefully) to anyone involved.

so what could the next one be? another different indie character to focus on? matt wagners Grendel? Larsens Savage Dragon? Mcfarlanes Spawn? of course these are all superhere types and that may not appeal to everyone, but it probably appeals to most of us. but how could we make a project that everyone wants in on?

from an artistic point of view, I always thought it would be fun to gather several artists and have us all REdraw a horrible Liefeld book. cause, why not embarrass ourselves? I always thought about just trying this on my own, but then i thought it would be fun to have a bunch of us work on it. but this certainly wont appeal to everyone and definitely not writers cause theres nothing to do.. so.. forget I mentioned all that..

what about us all putting together an anthology book of our own short stories? hell..some of us probably might have stuff already good to go. it could be a DIGITALWEBBING anthology of creator owned short stories. put together in PDF, length may not matter. this idea appeals to me cause we could all show our own stories and ideas, from us creators from this site. so..maybe..

but I also VERY much like the idea of a single sorta cohesive story that has a singular character to focus on and we follow his/her/their adventure. just like the xmen projects(sorta) and very much like Hellboy.

what if we picked a FEMALE character as the main focus this time...? Laura Croft? Witchblade? Red Sonja? I don't know...

OR..we could hold a raffle, or contest for the writers, and have a winner of SOME type, and the winning writer gets to write an entire 24 page (or more) story and all us artists draw it in pages handed out in sections. we would still have to choose a character/story setting/ concept... lots to figure out. hell..we discussed this before, maybe we could CREATE a NEW character that's to be shared with all of Digitalwebbing, and this writer who wins the contest (or whatever) gets to write the first story. could be tricky to pull of but could be fun.

anyway...just thinking of FUTURE possibilities. and everyone here seems to have gone on SILENT now that the project has basically wrapped up. and I just want to keep things talking and alive.

looking forward to seeing what you all think...

ROB

jeffchris50 04-28-2018 06:14 PM

Believe it or not, Rob, the wheels in my brain have already been turning over the same idea. To quote Buffy the Vampire Slayer—-where do we go from here? There are far too many talented folks on these boards to let them languish in the hum-drummity of everyday life. I suppose a good starting point would be who would be up for doing another jam? I know I’m personally jazzed to write again and work with fellow contributors. Would a bi-annual jam be feasible or should it only be an annual shindig? Open to thoughts and/or suggestions.

Bishop 04-28-2018 06:27 PM

I’m up for something if we come up with a fun idea.

It might be cool to “Tales of...” sort of book. Like a collection of stories about a character that don’t tie together necessarily.

Morganza 04-28-2018 06:39 PM

I am open to participate if the project is fun for me to do.

A few years ago I did a collaboration called Thunderbrawl, where we created our own characters to battle other creator owned characters, it was the most fun I ever had drawing.

Here's a link to those pages: http://blackpyramidstudios.blogspot....awl-pages.html

sevans 04-29-2018 02:03 AM

thunderbrawl....sounds interesting.

What about posters for films that don't exist. Eg: combine a few of your favourite films or make a crazy sequel.

12013 04-29-2018 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morganza (Post 1874756)
I am open to participate if the project is fun for me to do.

A few years ago I did a collaboration called Thunderbrawl, where we created our own characters to battle other creator owned characters, it was the most fun I ever had drawing.

Here's a link to those pages: http://blackpyramidstudios.blogspot....awl-pages.html

well if we can get YOU on board, that will be a major win as far as I'm concerned. cause you are one of the best artists around here. I just went and looked at all those pages you linked to.. I forget how damn good you are sometimes. I'm telling you...hellboy meeting the Scooby gang, like you suggested would have been the best thing ever.

anyway..i hope we come up with a concept that you like enough to feel its worth the time. I agree that FUN is the key here.

rob

Duane Korslund 04-30-2018 07:21 AM

I like the "thunderbrawl" idea.
My .02 how about...Star Trek. Its diverse, lots of different characters across the timeline and we'd have to get technical drawing ships and such....

sevans 04-30-2018 07:26 AM

How about MOTU or something similar.
A horror anthology could be fun, but has probably been done to death (pun not intended).

12013 04-30-2018 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Korslund (Post 1874790)
I like the "thunderbrawl" idea.
My .02 how about...Star Trek. Its diverse, lots of different characters across the timeline and we'd have to get technical drawing ships and such....

HEY..you saw I threw Q in the end of the hellboy thing right?

I like this idea, tho I wonder if to many people would find it boring/less exciting than other stuff. I don't know. great idea tho..

rob

Duane Korslund 04-30-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12013 (Post 1874794)
HEY..you saw I threw Q in the end of the hellboy thing right?

rob

Yep, that was awesome! Perfect book end.

12013 04-30-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevans (Post 1874791)
How about MOTU or something similar.
A horror anthology could be fun, but has probably been done to death (pun not intended).

well considering ive been working on a He-man fan comic for years now off and on(portions of it up in the sequential area now) this idea sounds fun to ME. guess it depends on what others would think. everyone could have he-man battling a different villain/hero leading up to some big resolution of some type.

or it could be an 80's cartoon thing..with all the awesome shit from that era in a story.. could be fun...
if we do this one..MORGANZA...I nominate YOU to draw Jem and the Holograms!!! ha

jeffchris50 04-30-2018 03:02 PM

I dig the TREK anthology idea; lots of material there to mine for sure.

I had another thought whilst driving into work listening to toonage. How about an anthology of short stories based off favorite songs, popular and obscure. There are quite a few singer-songwriters out there who have tuned that have very strong narratives that would be great converted into a prose-and-art medium. Harry Chapin, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, The Doors and countless others have deep catalogs that could be delved into.

Duane Korslund 04-30-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchris50 (Post 1874798)
I dig the TREK anthology idea; lots of material there to mine for sure.

I had another thought whilst driving into work listening to toonage. How about an anthology of short stories based off favorite songs, popular and obscure. There are quite a few singer-songwriters out there who have tuned that have very strong narratives that would be great converted into a prose-and-art medium. Harry Chapin, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, The Doors and countless others have deep catalogs that could be delved into.

I've actually story boarded quite a few A Perfect Circle songs/Tool songs. That'd be pretty awesome.

Steven Forbes 04-30-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchris50 (Post 1874798)
I dig the TREK anthology idea; lots of material there to mine for sure.

I had another thought whilst driving into work listening to toonage. How about an anthology of short stories based off favorite songs, popular and obscure. There are quite a few singer-songwriters out there who have tuned that have very strong narratives that would be great converted into a prose-and-art medium. Harry Chapin, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, The Doors and countless others have deep catalogs that could be delved into.

To be honest, I have always thought that there is an ongoing series in Hotel California by The Eagles.

The song itself can be scenes to draw, and the place itself can be like a horror version of Fantasy Island. (Did I just date myself?)

jeffchris50 04-30-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Forbes (Post 1874802)
To be honest, I have always thought that there is an ongoing series in Hotel California by The Eagles.

The song itself can be scenes to draw, and the place itself can be like a horror version of Fantasy Island. (Did I just date myself?)

I hadn't thought of "Hotel California", but yeah, that has tons of potential right there. Almost like southern rock as penned by Stephen King! LOL!

12013 04-30-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Forbes (Post 1874802)
To be honest, I have always thought that there is an ongoing series in Hotel California by The Eagles.

The song itself can be scenes to draw, and the place itself can be like a horror version of Fantasy Island. (Did I just date myself?)


hmm... I never ever really listened to the lyrics to that song. its not a favorite of mine but its not bad by any means. BUT, based on what you said I just went and looked up the lyrics for the first time ever and I can TOTALLY see what you mean. that's really interesting actually.

the only time I thought about doing something like this was from on old Marty Robbins song, "el paso". a western song about a guy that gets in a bar fight and kills a guy but then has to flee the town to avoid the revenge the killed guys pals plan to inflict on the main hero of the story. he also has to leave behind the woman he loves. but as time passes, he just cant stand to be away from her and as he returns to see her once again, somehow all the bad guys know hes coming and chase him down as he approaches town. in the ensuing chase he is shot and makes it to her door(or whatever) and dies in her arms, getting to see her one last time.

I always wanted to take that story and make it into a future sci fi setting story, kinda like star wars..hover bikes instead of horses. aliens instead of cowboys. stuff like that. its the only time I ever thought about visually translating a song. I still kinda want to do that. not that that many people know who marty robbins is.

rob

sevans 04-30-2018 09:16 PM

Basically nearly every Nick Cave or Johnny Cash song.

jeffchris50 04-30-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12013 (Post 1874804)
hmm... I never ever really listened to the lyrics to that song. its not a favorite of mine but its not bad by any means. BUT, based on what you said I just went and looked up the lyrics for the first time ever and I can TOTALLY see what you mean. that's really interesting actually.

the only time I thought about doing something like this was from on old Marty Robbins song, "el paso". a western song about a guy that gets in a bar fight and kills a guy but then has to flee the town to avoid the revenge the killed guys pals plan to inflict on the main hero of the story. he also has to leave behind the woman he loves. but as time passes, he just cant stand to be away from her and as he returns to see her once again, somehow all the bad guys know hes coming and chase him down as he approaches town. in the ensuing chase he is shot and makes it to her door(or whatever) and dies in her arms, getting to see her one last time.

I always wanted to take that story and make it into a future sci fi setting story, kinda like star wars..hover bikes instead of horses. aliens instead of cowboys. stuff like that. its the only time I ever thought about visually translating a song. I still kinda want to do that. not that that many people know who marty robbins is.

rob

"El Paso" is one of my FAVORITE narrative songs, son! You've gone and struck a nerve! Let's DO this!!! It can truly be a Forum "Jam Session"!

jeffchris50 04-30-2018 10:06 PM

Don't know if any of you are Harry Chapin fans, but some of his songs that I hold near and dear to my heart that would be great translated into a visual medium are "Taxi/Sequel", "Sniper", "Bummer" and, my fave of all time "The Rock."


Bishop 04-30-2018 10:41 PM

I could get into this project. I’d likely steer towards Pink Floyd, classic Genesis, Peter Gabriel, or Rush 2112

jeffchris50 04-30-2018 11:53 PM

Yeah, there is definitely some classic Genesis that could be visualized as well as some YES that would likely make for some great sequential storytelling.

SSTiger 05-07-2018 06:16 AM

Damn... looks like I missed a lot. But yeah, new group project, I'm in.

I don't listen to music all that much though so I don't know ANYTHING about songs; that kind of thing would probably work better as artist-only projects for best visuals, so you wouldn't need a writer anyway.

But if it's an anthology, count me in, especially if there's any artist who's interested in working together.

I promise I'll watch my page count. Pinky Swear.

Some anthology suggestions:

Star Wars:
Probably the easiest franchise to build a standalone anthology for, in my opinion. Pretty much no limits here. Stories could be anything from something hard sci-fi with no force-sensitive characters, to pure fantasy with mostly force stuff, all the way to other genres like Crime-Noir, War, Space Piracy, Assassination, Western, etc. etc.

Locke & Key:
Every story could be about a different magical key, wielded by a different member of the Locke family at different point of time. We could come up with new keys for those, too.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer:
Something like "Tales of the Slayers" comic, about different Slayers in different time periods. Again, a lot of possibilities to work with.

Marvel Knights:
I remember there was a series under this name, so we could just call it this and do each story about any character in the Marvel U. OR, could be there's a larger threat and each story progresses towards the conclusion bit by bit.

12013 05-07-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSTiger (Post 1874910)
Damn... looks like I missed a lot. But yeah, new group project, I'm in.

I don't listen to music all that much though so I don't know ANYTHING about songs; that kind of thing would probably work better as artist-only projects for best visuals, so you wouldn't need a writer anyway.

But if it's an anthology, count me in, especially if there's any artist who's interested in working together.

I promise I'll watch my page count. Pinky Swear.

Some anthology suggestions:

Star Wars:
Probably the easiest franchise to build a standalone anthology for, in my opinion. Pretty much no limits here. Stories could be anything from something hard sci-fi with no force-sensitive characters, to pure fantasy with mostly force stuff, all the way to other genres like Crime-Noir, War, Space Piracy, Assassination, Western, etc. etc.

Locke & Key:
Every story could be about a different magical key, wielded by a different member of the Locke family at different point of time. We could come up with new keys for those, too.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer:
Something like "Tales of the Slayers" comic, about different Slayers in different time periods. Again, a lot of possibilities to work with.

Marvel Knights:
I remember there was a series under this name, so we could just call it this and do each story about any character in the Marvel U. OR, could be there's a larger threat and each story progresses towards the conclusion bit by bit.


yeah I agree that the music thing..while interesting...doesn't leave much for any writer to do. so it may not be as appealing.
I like the idea of an anthology book of some type..where we all can have creative freedom but have it linked..in SOME way.

what about the way Heavy Metal magazine has done it..specifically that weird ass animated movie..where there all all kinds of different stories being told but there is a single thru line that connects them all ..SOMEhow... (I know I basically just described the last hellboy project). I'm just trying to think of a way that lets everyone do something that interests them but makes sense as a whole book.

tho..again..it doesn't HAVE to. I PERSONALLY wouldn't mind seeing a collection of creator owned stories. nuts to this corporate/owned characters. why don't we just pretend we are Image comics bach when they started... we are all like the image 7 (but however many of us their are) and we just put together a book of specifically creator owned material. characters that have never been seen before. as long or as short as you want them to be. that could be fun. they wont be linked together in any way but..its just OUR stories.

sevans 05-07-2018 06:31 PM

Love the Heavy Metal movie

An artifact or object that can be used through all the stories could be cool.
Just have the 'powers or purpose' of the object as a solid guideline.
Maybe also a very general setting...eg future, another galaxy, present day etc.

Bishop 05-07-2018 07:15 PM

Maybe not even an artifact, but a word or idea. Like everyone takes the word “strong” and tells a story around it using their own characters. Strong can mean and be shown to be many different things.

sevans 05-09-2018 05:36 PM

How about 'The Book of the Dead'.
Doesn't just have to be zombies etc, there might be alot of other spells on there.

Bishop 05-09-2018 07:55 PM

Wouldn’t even have to be spells. Just stories from the Book of the Dead. Detailing the story of the souls held within...

jeffchris50 05-09-2018 09:45 PM

An anthology sounds interesting.

STAR WARS would be interesting if we were able to do new, original stuff set in the same galaxy far, far away or, even more intriguing, bring the SW characters, etc., a little closer to home by having encounters with, of course, TREK, maybe the Shi’ar, Kree, Skrull, Dire Wraiths, Thanos or Galactus (or Galactus in the SW galaxy?) from MARVEL or the New Gods/Apokolips/Darkseid, the Green Lantern Corps., and some of the various other space-faring characters of the DC Universe. Would also be interested in doing a story/series of stories of SW characters and tech on Earth (an idea that’s intrigued me for a while now).

Buffy the Vampire Slayer I’m always up for as there are likely plenty of stories to mine from that particular universe/character set.

Another idea to interject is maybe doing an anthology of great female fighters/characters to compliment Buffy; an original Slayer story, maybe a story of Sarah Conner post-Terminator, a good solo Scully tale, The Bionic Woman, Xena, Red Sonja (of course), Max (from Dark Angel) or Nikita and/or Alex from Nikita.

jeffchris50 05-09-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishop (Post 1874947)
Wouldn’t even have to be spells. Just stories from the Book of the Dead. Detailing the story of the souls held within...

This would be a cool idea, too! It would be an added bonus to really take our time with this project and release it on/around Hallowe’en (what better time?).

sevans 05-10-2018 02:27 AM

I think anything from the land of DISNEY should be avoided.
They are sue happy people.

Steven Forbes 05-12-2018 11:55 AM

I've been giving this some thought.

DW: Songs

It wouldn't necessarily be a music video on paper, but a story with actual dialogue. The framing sequence could be a DJ spinning all kinds of records.

I'm seeing it as a music video that actually visualizes the story of the song. No song lyrics, but the dialogue that would have been said if there weren't song lyrics over all the action.

This gives the writers something to do, and everyone has fun.

Just an idea.

(And to be honest, since there are multiple songs that people love, this could actually go in volumes if people wished. Just another thought.)

jeffchris50 05-13-2018 10:30 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, that’s the approach I was sort of thinking about when I suggested songs. I think there are plenty of pieces of music out there that have a strong enough narrative thread to build a 6-8 page story around with plenty to do for both writer and artist. It’s all a matter of how you approach what you’re adapting, IMHO.

eDuke 06-27-2018 12:46 AM

Please don't let this die.

paul brian deberry 06-27-2018 06:09 PM

Personally, I think we should go the route of the last one. Pick someone like Judge Dredd, Jason Vorhes, Swamp Thing, Constante, Tank Girl, and drop them in an out of a different situation.

There is no need to change a thing.

jeffchris50 06-27-2018 08:49 PM

I've got an idea for another project but I'm not sure how interested in it people would be. Basically it's doing an anthology of old, public domain pulp characters and eventually having their stories interweave until they all meet up to fight a "big bad", kinda of coming together like a less super-powered version of The Avengers. If anyone is interested in something like that, I can post the synopsis I'm writing along with a list of characters to use. I'm still mulling over whether they should stay back in their time period or whether they should be updated to modern times....

12013 06-27-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDuke (Post 1875709)
Please don't let this die.

I agree. I just thought since the last one just got finished, people might want a breather. BUT..that doesn't mean people cant talk ideas about what to do.

honestly..thats the biggest challenge...is coming up with an idea that is interesting enough that everyone will want to be involved in. that's why I think the set up of the last one..where the character gets sent to wherever the writer decides, makes for all kinds of interesting ideas.


and sorta like Jeff CHRIS says...using public domain characters might be a way to go..so that we CAN print up books if we so choose...and put all our names on it. do a crownfunder thing if we want.

everyone did such a good job on the HELLBOY thing... I really want to see printed books of that even just for us creators on the book (which could still be an option...we were discussing it..)

but yeah...maybe we should consider using characters that don't have legal ownership hindering us.

thoughts..???


rob

paul brian deberry 06-27-2018 09:48 PM

There is no hindrance. There is nothing stopping you from printing the Hellboy story. You just can not sell it.

paul brian deberry 06-27-2018 09:52 PM

Personally, I just want to do something fun. The Hellboy stuff was fun.

I would rather do another story with a character like Hellboy. It gives you cooler story options.

Duane Korslund 06-28-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffchris50 (Post 1875752)
I've got an idea for another project but I'm not sure how interested in it people would be. Basically it's doing an anthology of old, public domain pulp characters and eventually having their stories interweave until they all meet up to fight a "big bad", kinda of coming together like a less super-powered version of The Avengers. If anyone is interested in something like that, I can post the synopsis I'm writing along with a list of characters to use. I'm still mulling over whether they should stay back in their time period or whether they should be updated to modern times....

i think this is a great idea!

jeffchris50 06-28-2018 10:46 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks, Duane. Glad you like the idea. Lots of cool, unused characters out there who haven’t seen the light of day in some cases in decades. There are a few which would likely have to be tweaked and massaged a bit to meet with contemporary ideals/thinking so as not to offend anyone, but, by and large, a lot of them are perfectly useable in the way they were created.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1997-2015 Digital Webbing, LLC