Digital Webbing Forums

Digital Webbing Forums (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/index.php)
-   Creator Community (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How can I learn how to letter comics? (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181606)

IQBrawler 09-28-2019 01:51 PM

How can I learn how to letter comics?

I'm trying to teach myself how to create speech balloons and I'm going bonkers because I can't find a comprehensive tutorial. I'm using Photoshop (and i'm an intermediate-newb at that), but I would be willing to get Clip Studio (Manga Studio) if it's easier to use.

Here's an example of what's messing me up: I can create beautiful speech balloons with curved tails using paths (ellipse/pen tools), but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to link two balloons together. It should be pretty simple, right? Well, I can't find any tutorial that describes how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

artsnake 09-29-2019 10:54 AM

You should use a vector editor for lettering like inkscape or adobe illustrator. clip studio would work very well also. I don't think Photoshop can easily do what you what it to.

Rene A. 09-30-2019 08:06 PM

Don't use a raster-based program for lettering. Sure, you can do lettering in those programs, but I'd highly recommend you don't. I have used Illustrator to letter my comics in the past. But with my current online comic book, I've been using InDesign to letter. I much prefer InDesign.

Definitely use vector for lettering your dialogue balloons in comics. It's far more flexible in terms of working with text, pulling in your story/script, and making changes.

And, if you ever decide to print your comics, your printer will thank you. Trust me, I worked in commercial printing for over 20 years, I know what I'm talking about.

I was thinking I should make a tut on this, maybe I should??

IQBrawler 09-30-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artsnake (Post 1882553)
You should use a vector editor for lettering like inkscape or adobe illustrator. clip studio would work very well also. I don't think Photoshop can easily do what you what it to.

I'm really leaning towards Clip Studio, tbh. I'm hearing good things about it.

IQBrawler 09-30-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rene A. (Post 1882580)
Don't use a raster-based program for lettering. Sure, you can do lettering in those programs, but I'd highly recommend you don't. I have used Illustrator to letter my comics in the past. But with my current online comic book, I've been using InDesign to letter. I much prefer InDesign.

Definitely use vector for lettering your dialogue balloons in comics. It's far more flexible in terms of working with text, pulling in your story/script, and making changes.

And, if you ever decide to print your comics, your printer will thank you. Trust me, I worked in commercial printing for over 20 years, I know what I'm talking about.

I was thinking I should make a tut on this, maybe I should??

I would love to see that tutorial.

Rene A. 10-01-2019 02:56 AM

You know what, I think I will! I've only ever only made one other tutorial and it was fun. I'll work on this tomorrow and, fingers crossed, I can edit it and knock it out the same day.

paul brian deberry 10-01-2019 04:27 PM

Head over blambot.com You'll find a lot of good stuff there.

The biggest tip is to remember. .... nevermind. Just check out that page. It'll be more help than anything I can tell you.

sevans 10-02-2019 01:05 AM

Yeah, vector based programs for shapes and text.
Can be resized and twisted etc without loss of quality.

Bishop 10-02-2019 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQBrawler (Post 1882583)
I'm really leaning towards Clip Studio, tbh. I'm hearing good things about it.

Clip Studio is great. You can do both Raster and Vector in the same file very easily. It is much more geared towards illustrators/comic artists than the Adobe products (which are also great).

Rene A. 10-02-2019 07:45 PM

I created my video on how I letter my comics using InDesign. Feel free to check it out here at my blog: https://realm-ethereal.com/how-i-letter-my-comic-book/

I want to apologize for the video because at somewhere around a little over half way-through to 3/4 of the way through the video, the audio and video are off-sync. I'm not sure how that happened. A glitch with my software, I suppose.

Scribbly 10-02-2019 11:31 PM

Google "comics lettering tutorials" and see what you find. Many pro letterers giving tutorials for traditional and digital lettering.
Jim Campbell has an excellent tutorial somewhere online.