View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
Hey, Charles.
Here is something that I don't understand. If you've been educated, then, at the very least, you know how to read and write. That means you were taught spelling and punctuation, not to mention capitalization and grammar. Why people don't think this is important completely boggles my mind.
Hi Steven,

It's important to keep in mind that a large bulk of communication online is of the casual, informal variety. The Internet might imbue virtually any communication with a certain degree of permanence, but the fact that it does so does not talismanically transform informal communication into formal communication.

Take this forum, the Digital Webbing forum, for example. I enjoying hanging out here, just casually browsing the art posted in the forum threads here at my leisure, and as my spare time allows. When I encounter a piece of art that I want to comment on, I tend to write in an off-the-cuff manner. The same holds true for virtually everyone, I suspect, regardless of how well or how poorly that they articulate their opinion and view.

The Internet is very conducive to communication that is informal and casual in nature. People adapt to every medium of communication. People find shortcuts, to save time. Communication mediums have a way of taking on a life of their own. The Internet tends to be a force for decentralization. It requires less effort to post and discuss things in an informal nature than in a formal manner.

Furthermore, not everyone connects to a given communications hub on the Internet in the same way. For example, I use a desktop computer. Many utilize web capable cell phones. The desktop is more geared towards lengthy postings, whereas cell phones are geared more toward brevity. I notice it more on Facebook than anywhere else.

Tone and deflection, not to mention humor, wit, and things such as sarcasm, are more instantly identifiable in vocal communication, compared to the typed word - especially if someone utilizes subtlety as part of their normal method of communicating. Additionally, as with most things in life, time, use, and experience tend to act as mitigators of misunderstandings.

Teachers tend to be as bad as the average person, when utilizing online communication mediums, as far as deficiencies in spelling and punctuation are concerned. Again, it all goes back to the informal nature of such communication mediums. Informal communication facilitates communication, but it comes at a price. Often, the price paid comes in the form of spelling, punctuation, and capitalization errors. But, because it is informal communication, a sense of no harm, no foul tends to dominate the medium.

The bulk of human communication is informal communication. Human communication is, always has been, and always will be fraught with risks of every sort and size and shape. It is not a journey that any of us take, alone.

Plus, much like art, the best way to get better at communicating via the written word is by doing it. The more practice that one has at it, the more opportunity that they tend to enjoy to refine their use of any given mode of communication. With experience also tends to come patience and the ability to adapt. With billions of people sharing the same world, learning how to communicate effectively is a never-ending journey. Everyone tends to make progress at their own individual pace, as well.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote