View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
Informality shouldn't matter. When we were taught to write, we were taught that capitals start a sentence, and that a period ends one.
When I was taught to write, the Internet didn't exist. Historically and traditionally, casual and informal communication has always been treated differently from formal communication.

Communicating via texting with cell phones is geared toward brevity, not rules of grammar. The ability of the human mind to communicate is broad, not narrow. In a perfect world, we would all use perfect grammar. But, that's not the world that we live in.

The nature of the informal is a less rigid environment. The rules get bent and broken, and even treated with casual disregard. It's not as though people actually need punctuation and capitalization to communicate, even if they do facilitate communicating more effectively and reducing the chances of misunderstanding.

Quote:
Communication has just a few rules that aren't hard to follow.
But, people who possess choice can choose to not follow rules. There is no one way to communicate, and it is not unusual for people to drop formality and rigidity of rules, in order to just communicate with ease, such as suits them.

Quote:
It's much more challenging to write a novel, screenplay, or script if you're used to writing "informally." Have you seen the amount of crap I get in TPG?
Well, no, I haven't seen the amount of crap that you get in. Nor should I, since I am not you. We each have our own cross to bear, you know.

That aside, I don't disagree that it is more challenging to write a novel, screenplay, or script, if you skip adherence to rules of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Nonetheless, human beings tend to be very social creatures, and they find ways to communicate that suit them, the whole world be damned.

That's not to say that there are never consequences that emanate from treating spelling and punctuation with reckless abandon, when communicating via the written word. But, if all that they are trying to do is to have a conversation, then they may simply decide to communicate as they want to, not how someone else advises them to.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote