View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyaguilar View Post
I'm curious to see what your inks look like on an artist that isn't so cross hatch heavy. I would choose a more slick looking artist to ink if you're just starting out ( I don't know how long you've been inking sorry)
Artists like Jim Lee, Greg Capullo or Dave Finch are extremely difficult to ink because they leave a lot of stuff for the inker to embellish.

You've added cross hatching on this where there was only straight lines indicated by the artist, it's making it look more cluttered than it needs to be. Keep to what the penciler intended for the most part.
Pretty much echoing what sly has said here. I realize that you are doing these to exercise and develop your skills as an artist, but you've also got to take into consideration the pencils that the original artist laid down and try to keep some respect for them. Lee, and a lot of his contemporaries, do use a lot of hatching, but also solids and just straight, linework. What you've done to this piece, and previous piece with Supes and WW, is to muddy them up beyond the point of recognizing whom the underlying artist is. If you hadn't said these were Jim Lee's pencils, I doubt I would have been able to figure out who the penciler was.

My advice is to go through a lot of comics, past and present and really study those inkers and how they both complimented AND added to the penciler's original vision. There are a couple of folks here on the boards, Vandal and Jimmy Reyes in particular, whose inking you should take a look at because they're both, IMHO, masters at that they're doing.

You've got a good thing going, you just need to find your OWN groove and use that groove to compliment the artist rather than smother them....
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote