View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #17
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

I think I am strangely better at short stories. I find it more difficult to keep a story going for a longer period.

To be fair, I think a LOT of authors struggle more with longer narratives. It's just that they don't notice. Think about it... how many times have you been reading a novel and felt like it was dragging along... or you like it once you get into it but those first couple of chapters were hard to push through... or you like the story until the ending, which doesn't feel satisfying somehow.

I think a lot of writers fall into the "more is better" trap and feel like they have to make a really big/long/meandering story... when they really don't need to do that.

All this isn't to say there aren't good long stories or good long-story writers... it's just that a LOT of books out there would be better if they were short-stories instead of novels.