View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 01:14 AM   #18
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Scribbly, good advice, but you're off track for this thread, dude. I don't have any problem dividing a story into coherent parts/chapters. I don't even have trouble with dividing a long serial into individual issues. I have trouble with short stories. Short stories are not merely fragments of a larger project, they're succinct, contained packages. A short story of 23 pages is not the same as a 23 page issue to a long serial. Pick up issue #82 of The Walking Dead. That's hardly equal to a short story. It's a fragment of a larger work. That's not what I'm talking about in this thread.

I'll write to all the awesome folk who chimed in on this thread later today; I just wanted to clarify what this thread was about.

Thanks, guys!
Well, I'm sorry if I went off track then.
For the record, I never say that you would have any trouble dividing a long serial into individual issues. For the opposite, what I said is that this shouldn't be a problem for anyone who knows well how to write a long story based in a plot.

What I was suggesting for you, as exercise of style, is to use the plot for your long story and work each fragment of the story as it were an individual short story itself with its own introduction conflict and resolution.
That's all.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote