View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

TPG Week 161: Don't Keep Writing When The Story Is Senseless

Welcome back, one and all, to The Proving Grounds! This week, we have a new Brave One in John Heidt. As always, we have Sam LeBas in Prince purple, I'm in the Hall and Oates red (I'm a Man Eater), and we see what John does with

Chronicles of Heroes

(One of the things I find myself having to do is raise the font from a 10 pitch up to the standard 12. I'm finding myself having to do it more often than usual as of late. While it isn't wrong, it's annoying as hell. Here's the thing, folks: you want the editor to be able to read the script, yes? Then put it at a standard reading level, which is 12 pitch. If they want to raise it or lower it from there, then that is their prerogative. But if you start out with a 10 pitch, the only thing you're doing is increasing the likelihood that your script will be round filed. I know that if I had gotten this at 10 pitch, I'd have chucked it, and you wouldn't have heard back from me as to why. That being said, let's continue.)

(Consider including header with your name, the title of this work, issue number page numbers [pages of the actual script not page numbers in the comic] on each page. If this document gets printed out no one will know who wrote it, what it’s called or where page 17 belongs.)

Page 1: I have formatted it to be in 2 rows, three panels side to side on top and the 4th panel to be the same size as the first 3 by itself. it should all fit together to make a rectangle. Basically panel 4, 5, 6, are one panel. (This is hella confusing, and the grammar is not helping. Who would you like to know this information if you have already done it? Capitalize the first letter of a a sentence, you know that.) (I'm happy that this information is here. I like it. I didn't even have to read it more than once. However, while I don't take off points for capitalization in the panel descriptions, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the script if it shows up in the second sentence. Editors are busy, folks, and they look for reasons to toss out scripts. A mistake in simple capitalization could be an indicator of “worse” things to come, especially in the second sentence. You have to try harder.)

Click here to read more.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread