View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Chad, there's a book I think you'll find immensely helpful. I'm pretty sure I've talked about it before somewhere around here, but here it is again:

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Solution.../dp/B00ATOUXA4

Yes, it's about writing a screenplay, but the advice still shines. Edson has a whole section on how to make your audience sympathetic towards your character. And this applies to even "bad guy" characters like Tony Montana of Scarface (from memory, I think he scored something like 8 out of 9 qualities that are necessary in successful story leads). Even if your character is a loser, you gotta give your audience a reason (preferably multiple reasons) to like your character as soon as possible. [Edit: "Like" is a strong word, because even unlikeable characters follow the paradigm....I'm shite at explaining myself, but I'm too freakin lazy to go grab the book for some direct quotes]
Another good book is Story by Robert McKee. I have it as an audiobook, and it's great. It's another book about screenwriting, but it helps to tell about both Story and Character.

Another book that will help you to decide which panels are best used to tell the story you want to tell is On Directing Film by David Mamet. It's a thin volume, but there's a lot of info in there that is directly applicable to writing comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post

Best of luck with the revision! And kudos for having a thick skin.
Thick skin?! You sound like I skewered him! I did no such thing!
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote