View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
Screwtape Jenkins

Screwtape Jenkins will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
Incorrect.

You can get away with anything as long as it is done well. Unfortunately, this wasn't.

Now I'm interested in why you chose to start the book this way, with a secondary character and their backstory instead of the primary protagonist/antagonist. It's a unique decision, and I'm interested to know how you arrived at it.
If people will immediately assume that the first character they see is the main character, and then decide whether or not they want to continue to read the book based on how much they identify with her, then I don't see how I can get away with it.

As for why I decided to go with this backstory first, it was a tonal decision. This is a 5 issue series about an elite team of military assassins, and I start each issue with a flashback to how they came to be members of the team. But the backstory of the main character is tonally pretty dark, and doesn't clearly establish that the book is intended as sort of a farcical black comedy. (Steven may remember this, but to remind him just in case, and for those of you who don't know, the book is sort of The Losers meets God Bless America, where a team of elite assassins goes around killing the 400 richest men in America.)

So long story short, I decided to start with Cantor's backstory as she plays a big role in the first issue and as her story is more comedic, and thus more firmly establishes the book as a comedy.

This didn't work as well as I hoped because you seemed to immediately assume that it was a serious military piece because I didn't start with the jokes until around page three. You said those pages were tonally off but it's actually the other way around. Those pages and jokes are a better representation of the tone of the series than the first two pages.
Screwtape Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote