View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #172
RonaldMontgomery
Mass Transit Ethnographer

RonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really niceRonaldMontgomery is just really nice

As an addendum, I don't mean to say that time moves at an identical pace between panels on a nine panel page. Though I do think identically-sized panels lend themselves to that perception (and maybe why it's fun to break that perception).
Something similar is Shaun Tan's The Visitor. I started reading that (had it for two years and never opened it), and it blows me away. It's a very deliberately-planned work and the imagery is beautiful. Tan has one page of pictures of the sky over the sea, which I never thought I'd say this, but it's evocative. It captures the beauty and monotony -- and passing of days -- of a long ocean voyage.
It's a cool book, the kind you can lose yourself in, like a good picture book when you were a kiddie. I recommend it.

Oh, and I know saying nine panels is like a steady drum beat is a flawed analogy...but it helps you get your head around the idea.