View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #40
JimCampbell
Letterer

JimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really niceJimCampbell is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Mauer

This means that artists need to talk to their editors or publishers to find out what their size requirements are before they even start.
Damn right. I mean, presumably, the artist(s) have confirmed with the editor what the deadline and the page rate is ... if the editor hasn't explicitly confirmed the artwork size, would it kill the artist to fucking ask?

The key point here -- I think -- is professional courtesy. It takes the artist no longer to draw the artwork at the right size than it does to draw it at the wrong size. The same is not true for the colorist, or the letterer, or whichever poor schmuck down the production chain notices the problem. We have to devote additional time for which we are not getting paid to sorting this shit out.

Mind you, I actually had an artist and a colorist flat out argue with me. The art was sized to the full bleed, but they'd treated the Trim line as if it was the Live boundary. They both went to the editor and said I was wrong and, in the end, I had to actually find a scan of a page of pencils on official Marvel board, marked up with Trim, Bleed and Live, caption it and send it to them.

That wasn't a total waste of my time at all.

Cheers!

Jim

Last edited by JimCampbell; 08-11-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Typo!
JimCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote