Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > ComixTribe > Bolts & Nuts

Old 07-29-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

B&N Week 188: How Clear Is Your Voice?

It’s another Tuesday! Guess that means it’s time for more Bolts & Nuts!

This week’s question: how clear is your voice?

Developing your voice comes in two basic stages: having something to say, and the way you say it. Very often, though, when we’re first starting, we’re the equivalent of being on stage doing impressions. (Impressions?) Impressions. By impressions, I mean you see a story that you enjoy, and then you try to imitate what the writer has done. That’s doing an impression. And most of the time, you’re doing a terrible job of it.

Having something to say can take a while to discover. Sure, you like comics, and sure, you like vampires, and of course, there are vampire comics out there… But for the most part, those vampire comics are following the same formula. [Vampires allergic to garlic and avoids crosses and sunlight is lethal.] Can you do something different or special with vampires? (Make them sparkly!) Original, yes, and makes sense in the confines of the story…but really stupid to everyone else. But yes, that’s what I’m talking about. Stephenie Meyer found her voice and told a story that only she could tell.

Click here to read more.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
crognus

crognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the rough

You got this one out early today Steven! Thanks for giving me something to read during my morning break!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jaycrowcomics
Twitter: @jaycrowcomics
crognus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
LukePierce

LukePierce is a jewel in the roughLukePierce is a jewel in the roughLukePierce is a jewel in the rough

This actually timed itself perfectly for the resubmission of TPG 187.
LukePierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #4
crognus

crognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately, I think some people are willing to buy products that just encompass "wouldn't it be cool if" and actually keep buying them too! *Michael Bay*cough *Transformers*cough*. (Well maybe if you count excessive explosions as voice, Michael Bay has a lot of voice.) Thankfully, I don't think writers without a voice will have their products stand the test of time.

I think voice is just something that's developed by practice and/or time. If you want to develop voice as a writer, you just have to write a lot, or have a lot of life experience to put into your work. (JK Rowling knocked her first work out of the park.) Personally, I know I need to write much, much more.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jaycrowcomics
Twitter: @jaycrowcomics
crognus is offline   Reply With Quote