Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > ComixTribe > Bolts & Nuts

Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Week 192: What Are Your Keys To Productivity?

Itís another Tuesday! Itís been pretty cloudy and rainy here in Tucson, and to be honest, Iím loving it. Itís not all sun, all the timeÖjust most of it. If you like sunny weather that doesnít change all that much, this is the place to be. Just putting it out there.

This weekís question: what are the keys to your productivity?

Let me start out by stating the obvious, because even though itís obvious to some, it isnít always obvious to others. Ready?

Everyoneís situation is different.

For the majority of us, we have a full-time job in order to pay the bills, and creating comics is something we fill in around the edges and cracks of that. Sometimes, it feels like a second job [because it is!], and with that feeling, there are ebbs and flows to when we can create, how much time we have to create, how much attention we can spare when we create, and so on. Sometimes, we have to steal that time.

Click here to read more.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Luke Noonan
This message has been deleted by Luke Noonan. Reason: answer already provided. I'm slow.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
crognus

crognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the rough

I find that I'm most productive when I pull an all nighter. There's something about that feeling of isolation and knowing that no one is going to bother me. Consequently, that means my weekends are the most productive, because I can't really stay up on a weekday.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jaycrowcomics
Twitter: @jaycrowcomics
crognus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Luke Noonan

Luke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really nice

Similarly, I find I'm pretty productive when it comes to coming up with ideas and characters while hungover on the day after a night out drinking or partying. I feel pretty fragile physically, but the ideas just seem to flow. I have no idea why this is, but it works.
As for simply writing, I try to do that whenever I have time, either typing or just with a pad and pen to transcribe it to type later. Works for me.
Luke Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Schuyler

Schuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really nice

I have to find time when my wife and kid are not at home, or I have to try and jot notes in a notebook for later. Sometimes I can get stuff done at work but it depends on the situation. I am almost never productive at night. Nine to three is when I really get stuff done.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:39 PM
crognus
This message has been deleted by crognus.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Newt

Newt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant futureNewt has a brilliant future

I seem to have misplaced my keys.
I just went on and told her
Newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
crognus

crognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the roughcrognus is a jewel in the rough

I am amazing at losing keys. I challenge anyone to best me in losing/misplacing things.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jaycrowcomics
Twitter: @jaycrowcomics
crognus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
L Jamal
ljamal.com

L Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud ofL Jamal has much to be proud of

The biggest key to my productivity is not getting caught playing video games or watching TV. I may have the TV on, but I'm rarely watching it.

FOR ALL YOUR WEB AND PRINT NEEDS
PORTFOLIO
L Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

For what writing that I do make attempts at, which isn't really writing comic books, per se, the biggest key to productivity is probably inspiration.

If I'm inspired, then words tend to flow pretty quickly. The quality of what is being said also tends to be better, also, in my considered opinion.

Inspiration can cross obstacles and conquer mountains!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Luke Noonan

Luke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For what writing that I do make attempts at, which isn't really writing comic books, per se, the biggest key to productivity is probably inspiration.

If I'm inspired, then words tend to flow pretty quickly. The quality of what is being said also tends to be better, also, in my considered opinion.

Inspiration can cross obstacles and conquer mountains!
Where do you find inspiration? And what kind of stuff do you write?
Luke Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #10
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusianfurs View Post
Where do you find inspiration? And what kind of stuff do you write?
Typically, inspiration finds me, and not the other way around. The source of the inspiration just depend upon what is at issue.

For example, I recently wrote a short bog piece about a comic book project on Kickstarter.

http://squatchkick.blogspot.com/2014...e-origins.html

The words came quickly to me, as fast as I could type them. The comic book material, itself, formed the inspiration. It's not a long piece, but the words just sort of flowed, once I started.

Not that everyone else would like what was written, as personal tastes vary. But, to me, anyway, I felt that it turned out well, and there was no internal struggle over what to write.

It's not really any different with anything, though. Even a birthday card, for example, depending upon who it is for, the words come quickly or the don't. Inspiration neutralizes obstacles - for me, anyway.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #11
LukePierce

LukePierce is a jewel in the roughLukePierce is a jewel in the roughLukePierce is a jewel in the rough

I have to be in a very, very tired state. For some reason, it brings out a very different side to my brain and I have to write quickly.

Otherwise, dreams have served as a tool before and, for some reason, I can recall quite a few of them because they're very grounded. I actually had to ask at one point if the Russians actually had a nuclear powered train as one dream seemed a little too real.
LukePierce is offline   Reply With Quote