Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > ComixTribe > The Proving Grounds

Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

TPG Week 194: Science Fiction Needs Research

Welcome back, one and all, to The Proving Grounds! This week, we have a new Brave One in Chelsea Smith. We also have Liam Hayes returning this week in blue, I'm the wild one in red, and we'll see if Chelsea is good enough to really invoke the Bard in

A Clone By Any Other Name

PAGE ONE (Five panels)

PANEL ONE:External view of a space station floating in space. Ships of all shape, color, and size flock around it. (I admire the freedom you're giving your artist here.)

1 CAPTION: GamedeSpace Station. Its (Cutting out it's makes this flow better.) pretty much the busiest spaceport this side of the Milky Way.

PANEL TWO: Trucker-esque aliens in uniforms and spacesuits mill about, sipping on coffee-like cups and chatting as technicians plug in a ship in the background with electrical power cords. (Where is this? Inside the space station? If so, where, what and why?)

Click here to read more.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Alyssa
@AlyCro

Alyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to all

I like it!

I like Tix's spunk, the hints of comedic relief, the whole this-is-the-future-but-it's-like-our-world deal. I like the bones of this story. You just need to learn more about how to write for comics (this is part of the whole research thing the boys were talkin about).

I vaguely remember a thread about how much info to give the artist- that was you, right? Like Liam wrote in the beginning, there are times where it's good to give the artist freedom. But as new comic writers, we don't really have the luxury of leaving the artist to fill the gaps. We're probably going to be hiring artists who don't have a lot of work under their belts, so they're going to need stronger direction. Only after you've worked with an artist repeatedly can you potentially afford to have missing descriptions (and even then it's dicey, because you might get something you don't want).

The way I see it? Make sure every panel is described properly, then tell the artist that if they think they have a better idea of how to represent something, to suggest it during the thumbnail stage. Of course, having an editor moderating things would be handy.

If you haven't already, I recommend you read through the Bolts & Nuts archive and a whole bunch (if not all) of The Proving Grounds entries. You'll learn loads about writing for comics.

Looking forward to seeing what else you cook up, Chelsea! Always nice to have another chic comics writer enter the fold.
Alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote