Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > ComixTribe > The Proving Grounds

Old 11-21-2014, 11:57 AM   #1
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

TPG Week 204: Language Can Be A Barrier

Welcome back, one and all, to another installment of The Proving Grounds! This week, we have a new Brave One in Nanda Irfan Lauzan. We've got Liam Hayes in blue, I'm the guy in red, and we're going to see what Nanda has in

Rangers Intiative

PAGE ONE

PANEL ONE

The setting is in the old-palace. (That's vague at best. Describe the old palace.) (Hopefully, this location is described in a separate document. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Xavier Institute of Higher Learning, or Avengers Tower (or, for old codgers like me, Avengers Mansion). However, more than likely, it's not a place that's going to be gone to time and again. This is just a roundabout way of saying that Liam is right and this is vague.) The sky is dark-red. Thunders sound painful as if it stabs a heart. (That line is prose. Wretched prose at that. It can't be drawn. Sound and feeling can't be drawn.) The ruins are everywhere but still have short stairs in there. There is no wind. Itís hard to breath. (Another thing that can't be drawn. You can show this, by having characters choking, but you havenít described that here.)

SFX: BLAR BLAR BLAR (I don't know what's causing these sound effects. I can't think of anything that makes noises like this.)

SFX (Human): HOSH HOSH (There's no human in the panel description. This is also sound I can't fathom.)

PANEL TWO

NOTE: Two superheroes have worn their own suit but theirs are affected by lightless impact.(I don't know what 'lightless impact' means.)

NOTE: Two superheroes are a girl and man. (Why isn't this in the panel description or a separate character sheet/document?)

NOTE: A girl, long-black-hair, wears full grey-uniform and thereís a grey sapphire in the middle of her chest but itís tight. Sheís 23 and 5.7 ft. She has sexy lips. Her pupils have different colors such as grey and blue. Sheís a sharp-nose.

NOTE: A man, medium-hair, wears kung fu-uniform. Its colors are black and gold. Itís rather tight. He has a tattoo in his face that is up and down his eyes. Heís an Indonesian-Chinese but he has white skin.
(What are these notes? They should be panel descriptions. Their separation is confusing.)

Click here to read more.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
SamRoads
Also known as Felix

SamRoads has a spectacular aura aboutSamRoads has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the edits Liam and Steven. I'm staggered that Nanda wanted this edited.

If you're not fluent in a language, why would you write in it? I don't get it.
SamRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
SamRoads
Also known as Felix

Actually, who am I kidding? The wife doesn't know how her husband takes his coffee?

That's nothing to do with writing in a different language. It's very bad writing, in every language.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Duane Korslund
F!@* Symmetry!!

Duane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to beholdDuane Korslund is a splendid one to behold

I think it was a combination of both. A lot of the descriptions made almost no sense in the English language. When its terribly obvious that English is your second, or third language, then you already have two strikes against you when trying to write for an English audience.
Then there was the bad writing...
Duane Korslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Marta

Marta is on a distinguished road

I'd disagree a bit on what steps to take first. I thought the writing, though showing some issues characteristic of when a writer's first language isn't English, also showed a poetic influence, and hinted that the writer is more experienced with prose. My recommendation would not be to "first learn the language better" but to use it more conservatively, using straightforward descriptions. Most of the confusing sections could be solved by simply reading more comics scripts and learning how information is better conveyed, particularly in panel descriptions. Dialogue writing is a separate skill, but dialogue can usually be edited fairly easily to sound more natural.
Marta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Kiyoko, Rin

Kiyoko, Rin is on a distinguished road

Posting a script in another language... truly, Nanda is the bravest of the Brave Ones. Mind you, if you're going to go non-native then Japanese is the way to go. In an age where American comics struggle to get over 100,000 sales (this despite the profusion of creative talent out there, and the greater-than-ever interest following all those blockbuster moves), Japanese manga isn't struggling (as much).

It must be a nice feeling for Mr Forbes to know he's the go-to guy for people in other countries (in Nanda's case, based on the name, syntax, grammar, I'm going to say he/she's from mmmm Antarctica. There's a definite Emperor and Adelies-ness to the dialect; a certain Aurora Australis-ness to the SFX; a glacial icyness to the marriage scene that tells me the penguins down there would eat this story up).
Kiyoko, Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #7
Alyssa
@AlyCro

Alyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to all

I think this script isn't good primarily because of the language barrier. Even researching script-writing and storytelling is going to be difficult, as I imagine most of the good resources are written in English.

I have to admit, I'm starting to miss seeing higher quality scripts in TPG. The decent ones are few and far between. I wonder if published clients of Steven's would mind having some pre-edit script pages put up for our benefit?
Alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
SamRoads
Also known as Felix

I put my latest script's first draft up, it should be getting mauled some time in January.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Captainwhizz

Captainwhizz is on a distinguished road

At least it was entertaining. The comments about writing in a second language have actually got me thinking- given that I stopped studying French at school at the age of 16 (17 years ago, for those keeping score), could I write a few pages of comic script in French that were better than this effort? I think perhaps I could, but mostly because I'd pay more attention to formatting and panel descriptions. It would be a fun contest, if anyone could judge it.
Captainwhizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #10
Nanda Irfan Lauzan

Nanda Irfan Lauzan is on a distinguished road

Smile Thanks

I glad, finally, my comic script had been commented by you, Mr Forbes.

I'll fix it up then I'll send you again...
Nanda Irfan Lauzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Nanda Irfan Lauzan

Nanda Irfan Lauzan is on a distinguished road

Smile

oh yeahh... I'm from Indonesia..
Nanda Irfan Lauzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #12
LukePierce

LukePierce is a jewel in the roughLukePierce is a jewel in the roughLukePierce is a jewel in the rough

Good to see you on here Nanda and welcome to the forums.
LukePierce is offline   Reply With Quote