Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 07-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #31
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

cool stuff. I like your animals and critter types a lot.
Is this last one for something in particular?
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #32
MeltedChi

MeltedChi is on a distinguished road

Thank you @artsnake! I really do enjoy drawing critters!

This latest piece was just a quick something I pulled together during some downtime on a project, so it is for nothing in particular other than myself I suppose.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #33
artman

artman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedChi View Post
Thanks @artman and @cesare2009!

Here's another of my newest pieces:

Sweet
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #34
MeltedChi

Hi all! It's been a while since I posted on here... a lot going on lately. I've been mostly doing illustrations and cover work, and everything sequential I've got going on is currently under NDA. Take a look at some of my latest (feedback always welcome):

Old 11-22-2019, 04:50 PM   #35
MeltedChi

I've been messing around in my spare time, looking for a more realistic approach to my work, and incorporating more of traditional painting into my colors. Still very much a work in progress, but slowly starting to find something that is working. These are just a few rough portrait sketch studies I worked out recently.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #36
artman

[QUOTE=MeltedChi;1883137]I've been messing around in my spare time, looking for a more realistic approach to my work, and incorporating more of traditional painting into my colors. Still very much a work in progress, but slowly starting to find something that is working. These are just a few rough portrait sketch studies I worked out recently.

your work has few weaknesses overall. at this point it's all about refinement, namely you're really good. this Pic is cool, reminds me of some of the painted art done during WW2 of soldiers.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #37
MeltedChi

Thanks, artman, those were a lot of really kind words.

Interesting you mentioned that the 'Nam vet looks sort of like a WWII painting, as I was actually studying Rockwell just this weekend in hopes of adding some of that flavor to my work.

I really feel like I am missing the boat on paint texture in my colors, and looking around at my options. I'm thinking maybe Rebelle? or Art Rage? If anyone has suggestions or experience with either of these pieces of software (or something else, so long as it isn't subscription-based software), I'd love to hear your take on things!
Old 11-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #38
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

More good looking stuff.
For software I would suggest Krita. It is very powerful with all the features. It is very well supported and is free. I have been using it for years and I have no need for anything else for painting and is very good comic pages.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #39
MeltedChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnake View Post
More good looking stuff.
For software I would suggest Krita. It is very powerful with all the features. It is very well supported and is free. I have been using it for years and I have no need for anything else for painting and is very good comic pages.
Hmm this is a good suggestion. I used Krita about 5 years ago, and I don't know what was going on, but I had this consistent problem where every brushstroke had an unusual multiply-effect halo. If I recall correctly, I was having issues with aliasing on the selection tool, as well.

Seeing that it has been so long (and many updates have happened to the software since then), I think I will look into Krita again. Can't hurt giving it a chance, especially seeing it's free! Thank you!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #40
artman

i love clip studio

seems to me you can do anything and the tools definitely are artist oriented. Downloaded Krita but have not used it much.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #41
MeltedChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by artman View Post
seems to me you can do anything and the tools definitely are artist oriented. Downloaded Krita but have not used it much.
Well now I am feeling silly! I work in Clip Studio Paint all the time, and here I am working on an old version. Those new "realistic watercolors" are amazing, and so far... exactly everything I was looking for.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #42
artman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedChi View Post
Well now I am feeling silly! I work in Clip Studio Paint all the time, and here I am working on an old version. Those new "realistic watercolors" are amazing, and so far... exactly everything I was looking for.
going to add one thing, there's a wealth of tools and ways to work. there's a ton of YouTube videos to help you learn them. 3d models, perspective tools are useful for instance. also it's a great financial deal compared to other programs like photoshop and coral draw.