Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 09-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
ArminOzdic

ArminOzdic is on a distinguished road

Hulk vs Superman

Hey all,

haven't posted in a while, hope everyone is good and drawing a ton!

I had this idea for a while and started slowly working on it in between paid work as a fun/sample thing to hopefully get noticed by the big 2.

Here is the first page. Let me know what you guys think.
I've done 4 page layouts for this, so more pages coming soon.

Thanks,
Armin

ArminOzdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Michael Ford

Michael Ford is a jewel in the roughMichael Ford is a jewel in the roughMichael Ford is a jewel in the rough

Woah, awesome work. Your characters look alive and fluid, which is a huge plus for comic art. It is only one page but I already have a good idea of the story you are telling. I like how your Hulk has a fattier, bulky look to him. It looks more realistic and actually makes him look stronger than if he just had rippling muscles.

My only critiques are on the second panel. It doesn't look consistent to see Superman leaning forward in first panel and then switch to an angle where it looks like he is leaning back. I am also sure that you are planning on making Superman's eyes glow red, but I think that might actually detract from the mood. It looks like you are setting up a good, old fashioned brawl, and the idea of Superman already using heat vision takes away from that. Also, the lines at the edge of Superman's lips look less determined and more curious, like he is thinking of observing the Hulk rather than fighting him.

Please keep the pages coming. This looks fun and it would be cool to see where you take this.
Michael Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
ArminOzdic

Thanks, glad you like it!
After I'm done with all 4 pages I might rework few bits.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
ArminOzdic

Here is page two.
Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Armin

Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
therafalee
Rafa Loves Art

therafalee is on a distinguished road

Wow, if you can do pages like this in a day you definitely ready for DC and Marvel, it's probably easier to break in the Big 2 if you get an Agent.

therafalee.deviantart.com
facebook.com/rafaleeart
therafalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
ArminOzdic

@therafalee- Thanks! One to two days...depending on a page. But yeah I can do 20 pages a month. But I usually work long hours and 7 days a week.
Getting a good agent seams as hard as braking in with Big 2. If you got any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks again,
Armin
Old 01-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
therafalee
Rafa Loves Art

therafalee is on a distinguished road

7 days a week but looks great, maybe i should take that approach as well.

International Agencies like Glasshouse must be really hard to get, here in Brazil we have many Local Agencies, maybe try to find some in your area.

therafalee.deviantart.com
facebook.com/rafaleeart
therafalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Very good stuff. Still, some anatomy issues. Flabby triceps for Hulk on first panel introduction Great finishes and backgrounds. Very clean. Composition and poses are mild. I feel your poses should be more extreme for American comics. Nothing in the midway, EXTREME. ex: If furious Hulk comes to grab Superman, full hand fingers in full tension open! Next: Everything flying off in the room but the lamp and table stand are staying put on place. That lamp or some debris should jump to camera. These vertical lines between Hulk and lamp. What are these? A column? A wall? Distracting. In the same panel, Hulk's body went small or his head went big.
Maybe you should target middle size publishers for making your experiences and name working for them before upgrading on samples for the big 2 characters. IMHO.
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Symson
Cartoonist

Symson is on a distinguished road

Very good draftsmanship.

From a storytelling standpoint, none of Superman's vision powers would move the Hulk. He doesn't have a concussive blast like Cyclops.
Symson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
MattTriano
Storyteller for Comics

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

These are good dude. Big work to do on composition, shapes and clarity. Nice drawing but Hulk's arm is hard because of angle and bend in 1.1, strange crops of heads 1.2 and 1.3 hurts clarity and creates bifricated horizontal panels that should be square or tall. Nice establishing shot 1.1 but a little big for this static action; is it tense? Why? Should we know? Is there a way to visual establish in 1.1 (by changing angle and info) why they're fighting at all? If you can you must!

Sample pages need layers of info; Page 1 could probably handle what is currently Page 2 Pnl 1 if Page 1 were re-cropped and more advantageously organized. 2.3 and 2.5 are really nice images but the page is full of awful slanted panels (never) and all movement inexplicably right to left going against the way we read (never never). Pull back and show us scale, cool buildings filled with 1,000 windows and small (clearly silhouetted, separated for clarity) figures doing something that effects the environment. Why not show which building Hulk is about to get blasted through in Page 1, setting up the info before you use it on Pg 2?

Is there a Cassaday influence? Not negative BTW. I want to see how you finish this because it's generally very well drafted but your delicate touch (and the slightly digital quality of your marks) makes the anatomy and gooey cropping all the more difficult to ignore. If your work all digital it might be worth it to repurpose some of these setups and panels into a 2.0 version of these first two pages, maybe not; depends how much you like them at the moment?

Keep going. Post the next! Share fixes if any!

Best,
M
Old 01-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
MattTriano
Storyteller for Comics

MattTriano has a spectacular aura aboutMattTriano has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
Very good stuff. Still, some anatomy issues. Flabby triceps for Hulk on first panel introduction Great finishes and backgrounds. Very clean. Composition and poses are mild. I feel your poses should be more extreme for American comics. Nothing in the midway, EXTREME. ex: If furious Hulk comes to grab Superman, full hand fingers in full tension open! Next: Everything flying off in the room but the lamp and table stand are staying put on place. That lamp or some debris should jump to camera. These vertical lines between Hulk and lamp. What are these? A column? A wall? Distracting. In the same panel, Hulk's body went small or his head went big.
Maybe you should target middle size publishers for making your experiences and name working for them before upgrading on samples for the big 2 characters. IMHO.
One point re: publishers: good samples are good samples, it doesn't matter whose characters are doing what. Editors like to see their characters in general but it won't hurt his chances of getting work at Zenescope and Boom if his amazing sample is Superman instead of Sherlock or whomever.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #12
Scribbly

Scribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud ofScribbly has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTriano View Post
One point re: publishers: good samples are good samples, it doesn't matter whose characters are doing what. Editors like to see their characters in general but it won't hurt his chances of getting work at Zenescope and Boom if his amazing sample is Superman instead of Sherlock or whomever.
Probably right. But I feel at this point he might have many more chances pointing at doing Sherlock rather than competing for Superman.
Right now, who else would try to get a gig doing Sherlock anyway?
Scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #13
ArminOzdic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbly View Post
Thanks for the critique. I'm doing these samples as I feel I need more superhero samples in my portfolio. So far, projects that I've worked on are mostly filled with ordinary people.

Thanks again,
Armin
Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #14
ArminOzdic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symson View Post
Very good draftsmanship.

From a storytelling standpoint, none of Superman's vision powers would move the Hulk. He doesn't have a concussive blast like Cyclops.
Thank you! you're right. But I'm still sticking with this as this is done for fun mostly.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #15
ArminOzdic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTriano View Post
These are good dude. Big work to do on composition, shapes and clarity. Nice drawing but Hulk's arm is hard because of angle and bend in 1.1, strange crops of heads 1.2 and 1.3 hurts clarity and creates bifricated horizontal panels that should be square or tall. Nice establishing shot 1.1 but a little big for this static action; is it tense? Why? Should we know? Is there a way to visual establish in 1.1 (by changing angle and info) why they're fighting at all? If you can you must!

Sample pages need layers of info; Page 1 could probably handle what is currently Page 2 Pnl 1 if Page 1 were re-cropped and more advantageously organized. 2.3 and 2.5 are really nice images but the page is full of awful slanted panels (never) and all movement inexplicably right to left going against the way we read (never never). Pull back and show us scale, cool buildings filled with 1,000 windows and small (clearly silhouetted, separated for clarity) figures doing something that effects the environment. Why not show which building Hulk is about to get blasted through in Page 1, setting up the info before you use it on Pg 2?

Is there a Cassaday influence? Not negative BTW. I want to see how you finish this because it's generally very well drafted but your delicate touch (and the slightly digital quality of your marks) makes the anatomy and gooey cropping all the more difficult to ignore. If your work all digital it might be worth it to repurpose some of these setups and panels into a 2.0 version of these first two pages, maybe not; depends how much you like them at the moment?

Keep going. Post the next! Share fixes if any!

Best,
M
Thank you Matt. I especially appreciate your critique as I love your stuff!
Yeah, Cassaday is an influence. It's all digital and I'm planing on reworking few things once I'm done with all 4 pages. I'll take what you said into consideration. It might not be that soon tho as I'm very slowly working on these in my spare time.

Thanks again,
Armin