Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Artist Showcase

Old 07-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #1
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

Phoenix

Walt's bird head, thanks Walt!
cesare2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

Oh, I REALLY wish we had heart emojis!!!! I love this, Cesare! Super work, in my opinion! You draw really great men, but you render absolutely GORGEOUS women!
jeffchris50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
artman

artman is on a distinguished road

Overall, very nice but I would adjust a few things. The muscle group under the outstretched arms is too wide. The breasts should be lower and closer together and finally the rib cage should be lengthened a bit. It looks like you're drawing,from your head, if not then keep in mind you may need to modify reference to make comic book anatomy book right.
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #4
SAWeyers

SAWeyers is on a distinguished road

Oh to be able to draw even half as well...
SAWeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

love the face and hair. perfect. love the hands. love the pose and the power and energy and drama of the pose. love the fire bird effects.

the anatomy on the arms, specifically the bicep areas.. while looking technically correct, still has something that's bothering me and really stands out for..whatever reason. they look like the are also almost bending back farther than the elbow would allow? maybe.

the boobs I don't dig. I admit this IS a personal choice. comic book womens bodies do NOT have to be perfectly shaped as they usually are and I DO understand that womens breasts come in all shapes and sizes. but they look to small and misplaced and maybe mis-shapen. considering the hotness and fitness of the rest of her body, I would say making them look a little different may not be a horrible idea.

I also don't dig the angle her right foot that's bent back is at. just seems the natural angle would be pointing towards her rather than away. whatever the case...it does stand out to ME in a big way as odd.

but otherwise...all those things I mentioned as positives are REALLY good. that face is FLAWLESS. I love it. the sash hanging on her hips looks great. and again, the POWER conveyed in the pose just screams power and danger.

now I want to draw her...

rob
Old 07-03-2019, 03:13 AM   #6
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

cesare2009 will become famous soon enoughcesare2009 will become famous soon enough

From my friend Dale Eaglesham - Justice Society, FF and Shazam. (an a lot of other books)

"Excellent! I like the muscularity: it's robust (especially the structure width in the chest/lats) but it doesn't become masculine. Interesting organic flow to the biceps. Great job on this, Cesare!"

Interesting how all the 'flaws' that have been pointed out, are all the strengths of the pic according to a pro.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:30 AM   #7
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

my 2 cents in the interest of sharing what I have learned

the sweep of arms is graceful and pushes the boundaries of whats possible, that's what a dynamic pic is supposed to do.

Her foot looked awkward at other angles, it's position was carefully chosen an helps push the leg back.

Her breasts are sitting on top of her torso, her back is slightly arched, they are a bit small but again, a conscious decision but they are correct, lowering them would change the pose and be anatomically wrong.

I use reference all the time artman, I mean ALL the time... and I embellish with what I know to be true, and exaggerate.....from my head as u say

The power of the image comes from going further than what we know to be true.

google this man

Richard MacDonald.

If the image breaks down anywhere, it's not the individual parts that you are 'analyzing', its the rendering, I confused myself with that big fiery bird, and I didnt know how to effectively light the figure.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

I think you are right cesare you know your anatomy pretty well. Your rendering is not as clear as it could be. It is a hard thing to deal with light all around like that.
I would suggest is relying on sculptural lighting on the figure instead of directional light. Get the structure indicated and make that look cool then add to it with other lighting types if you need to.
I have found that using sculptural helps me feel way more satisfied with my rendering over all and particularly with pen and ink stuff.
alot of drawings can be done with nothing but sculptural light and ambient occlusion.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:37 AM   #9
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

artsnake, show me an example of each please...you get my point precisely....I will be googling....but this pic is done and sold...

next one will be better.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #10
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

Looking masculine. She's got quite the V-tapor going on. I would have eased up on the lats and delts specifically.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
artsnake

artsnake is on a distinguished road

sculptural lighting is when all the planes facing you are the lightest and they get darker as they angle away. You could do this the opposite way where the planes facing you are the darkest to give a back lighting effect or rim light.
ambient occlusion when you have no one direct light source like a cloudy day but under a table or tree or in smaller spaces it is darker than areas out in the open.
There is a great book "Dynamic Light and Shade" by Burne Hogarth which talks about and show all the types of light [ there are many] and I find gives me lots of ideas on rendering.
artsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
Pete Tha Creep

Pete Tha Creep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare2009 View Post
my 2 cents in the interest of sharing what I have learned

the sweep of arms is graceful and pushes the boundaries of whats possible, that's what a dynamic pic is supposed to do.

Her foot looked awkward at other angles, it's position was carefully chosen an helps push the leg back.

Her breasts are sitting on top of her torso, her back is slightly arched, they are a bit small but again, a conscious decision but they are correct, lowering them would change the pose and be anatomically wrong.

I use reference all the time artman, I mean ALL the time... and I embellish with what I know to be true, and exaggerate.....from my head as u say

The power of the image comes from going further than what we know to be true.

google this man

Richard MacDonald.

If the image breaks down anywhere, it's not the individual parts that you are 'analyzing', its the rendering, I confused myself with that big fiery bird, and I didnt know how to effectively light the figure.
Sorry cesare, but I have to disagree with this post. The ankle looks broken, and the pose is lacking a lot of flow because of your decision of going further than whats healthy for any skeleton. What the other guys have 'analyzed' are justified points as to what could be improved. She does not look powerful, but like she is being torn apart. The boobs are maybe not too small or too high, but one is much bigger than the other. It happens in nature, but still is not very appealing to a mainstream audience.

And maybe think of it this way: if people look at your piece and feel compelled to comment, that is exactly the reaction that your piece evoked.
Pete Tha Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:11 AM   #13
cesare2009
Blood Sweat and Tears

Sorry Pete the Creep, Ive seen your work, you dont know what you're talking about.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:08 AM   #14
Rene A.

Rene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really niceRene A. is just really nice

I like this version. I don't think she is looking "masculine". She looks powerful. And nice reference to Richard McDonald! The man's work is nothing short of spectacular. I live in Monterey, where he has a studio. I've never met him, but he's definitely a name around here.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:35 AM   #15
Rob Norton

12013 will become famous soon enough12013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare2009 View Post
Sorry Pete the Creep, Ive seen your work, you dont know what you're talking about.
Ahh...there we go.. the age old “you arent as good as me so your opinion on the subject carries no weight “ bullshit. Nice.