Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Hosted Forums > ComixTribe > The Proving Grounds

Old 04-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #31
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
The thing is, I've tried reading his Bolts and Nuts articles, but it's like sitting through a lecture on the evolution of the house fern. I've read computer programming and math books that were more engaging.
This is the first time I've ever heard that I'm boring. I've tried very hard to make them informative, accessible, and very straightforward. Sometimes I'm even playful in them. But this is the first time I've ever heard that I'm boring.

Then again, it could be that it's missing what you're looking to get out of them. I don't know what that could be, but I'd be interested to find out.
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #32
Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of lightStewart Vernon is a glorious beacon of light

Riding a bike is fun... reading a book that tells you how to ride a bike is measurably less fun.

Makes sense to me.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #33
Robert_S

Robert_S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
I don't know what that could be, but I'd be interested to find out.
One of the biggest problems is repetition:

"Like I said before, the plot is a guide or roadmap for your story."

"As stated above, this plot is nothing more than a roadmap,..."

Not only did you say the same thing, but you pretty much said the exact same thing, twice.

"...but otherwise, itís a roadmap for you."

There's that word again. You like buzzwords.

"Like I said before, this is the way I do it. "

A lot of "like I said before" or "as stated above".

Seems you're as guilty of referring back to something above as I am.
Robert_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #34
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

Doesn't answer the implied question. Then again, I really wasn't expecting you to.

Doesn't matter. It was idle curiosity. I'm no longer curious.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #35
SamRoads
Also known as Felix

SamRoads has a spectacular aura aboutSamRoads has a spectacular aura about

When I was starting out I read lots of Bolts and Nuts. I found it hard going. By comparison, TPG was much easier.

In trying to answer 'why' it might be because with a TPG you can hang the lessons on the framework of the submitted story. So the very best TPGs are when someone has submitted a really good story with a number of writing technical errors.

This means I enjoy the story and learn some stuff along the way.

All that said, Bolts and Nuts appears to be a primer for TPG. If you read and follow the advice in B&N, you'll receive a proportion less grief if you submit to TPG.
SamRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:39 PM
Robert_S
This message has been deleted by Robert_S. Reason: fugit
Old 05-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #36
Robert_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRoads View Post
All that said, Bolts and Nuts appears to be a primer for TPG. If you read and follow the advice in B&N, you'll receive a proportion less grief if you submit to TPG.
I went over the characterization article and found it superficial at best with a big tangent that had me saying to myself "get to the point" and went the point finally came up, it was a let down.

Perhaps the business related articles will prove better.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:47 PM   #37
Schuyler

Schuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really niceSchuyler is just really nice

I would like to go back to the eight panels thing. I think eight panels is perfectly acceptable in a nine panel grid. There is nothing wrong with the way it looks and I never get confused about what panel to read next.

"The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Mhwahaha! Now, I am leaving Earth for no raisin!"
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 AM   #38
Luke Noonan

Luke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really niceLuke Noonan is just really nice

Quote:
I went over the characterization article and found it superficial at best with a big tangent that had me saying to myself "get to the point" and went the point finally came up, it was a let down.

Perhaps the business related articles will prove better.
If you mean the week 003, I just read it and saw two examples of aspects of characterization in Spider-Man and Deadpool. I saw nothing I'd call a "tangent."

What were you hoping/expecting to get out of the B&N articles?
Luke Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:54 PM   #39
Robert_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Noonan View Post
If you mean the week 003, I just read it and saw two examples of aspects of characterization in Spider-Man and Deadpool. I saw nothing I'd call a "tangent."
Pen-man? Seriously? That was such an unnecessary tangent for his to take, it really put me off that article.

Quote:
What were you hoping/expecting to get out of the B&N articles?
Something that's actually informative.

The interview process does not at all give a basis for a character. The basis, the want, the need, the flaw, those need to be there first, before you go onto the interview process. Perhaps there is a ghost in his/her past. That should be there so it can actually affect the interviewee's responses and how they respond.

Nevermind. There are a number of books out there that do better. I mean, way better. Yes, his crap is free, but it's crap, so it should be free.

I'll stick to my books on storycraft. I consider Forbes articles on story craft to be terrible, superficial and grandstanding rather than educational.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 PM
SamRoads
This message has been deleted by SamRoads.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #40
Alyssa
@AlyCro

Alyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to allAlyssa is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes, his crap is free, but it's crap, so it should be free.

I'll stick to my books on storycraft. I consider Forbes articles on story craft to be terrible, superficial and grandstanding rather than educational.
I have to admit, you're the first person I've recommended B&N to that feels this way. And I've recommended that column to a lot of people. I get the feeling your judgement might be a little clouded by emotions- looking for the rock rather than the diamond, as it were. Not that there's anything wrong with that- you're allowed to just flat-out not like a guy or his work.

Have you checked out Jim Zub's tutorials? He's written some good stuff: http://jimzub.tumblr.com/tutorials
Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 PM   #41
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

He's butt-hurt and doesn't like me. It's okay. I don't mind. I have more than enough people telling me that the articles are useful, informative, and entertaining. I don't need to bat a thousand. While it would be nice, I've done what I set out to do, which was help and inform creators. As long as that's true, I'm good.

Who knows? Maybe Robert will go on to create comics we're all envious of, and he doesn't need a jerk like me trying to help him. It could happen.

Anyone have anything else to say about the script?
Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #42
Michael Ford

Michael Ford is a jewel in the roughMichael Ford is a jewel in the roughMichael Ford is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
"That film was more interesting than this. Then again, so is having a pedicure via meat grinder."
I actually know someone who had that happen to them.

Don't worry, they turned off the machine quickly and were fine. Their fingers just hurt for awhile. But what I wanted to say is that when your fingers are being scrapped by a grinder, nothing is more deserving of attention or more interesting than that.
---

I think the most important lesson to take from this Proving Grounds is that what details you use matter. Not an easy lesson to learn, and not a lot of people truly know when they begin, I know I didn't.
Michael Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #43
Robert_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Forbes View Post
Who knows? Maybe Robert will go on to create comics we're all envious of, and he doesn't need a jerk like me trying to help him. It could happen.
It's not what you criticize, it's how. It's as unprofessional as I've ever seen. You called Beavis and Butthead as the start of the downfall of MTV. I can give you that. But you play the Gordon Ramsey card for ratings and that is the downfall of culture in general.

Again, there is some value in what you said, but how you say it puts people off. Yeah, I would probably get worse from others, probably people I don't care to hear from, but as a reviewer for improvement, you just come across as a complete douche.

And I'll still stick by the statement that your articles are at best, superficial. You waste a lot of valuable space on unessential speak.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #44
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Quote:
It's not what you criticize, it's how. It's as unprofessional as I've ever seen. You called Beavis and Butthead as the start of the downfall of MTV. I can give you that. But you play the Gordon Ramsey card for ratings and that is the downfall of culture in general.

Again, there is some value in what you said, but how you say it puts people off. Yeah, I would probably get worse from others, probably people I don't care to hear from, but as a reviewer for improvement, you just come across as a complete douche.

And I'll still stick by the statement that your articles are at best, superficial. You waste a lot of valuable space on unessential speak.
It's called "the proving grounds", not the "I'll hold your hand until you get it" grounds. Did you read any entries before you submitted? Do any research at all? If the answer to that is "no," then that's on you.

I know exactly how I look. I look like an asshole who doesn't take shit from writers. I hand it out evenly, and I give credit where it's due. I'm hard on everyone, and when writers do well, I say so.

You didn't do well. That means you need to work harder at it.

Also, I'm just a guy with an educated opinion. Singular in nature. Others may think you're a genius. Their opinion of your work could be the polar opposite of mine.

Get over it. Work on your craft. Thats how you get better.

As for your opinions on my articles...that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. They're not your cup of tea. Please let us know if you find any other free resource with the same breadth and depth. I'm always on the lookout for different voices.