Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 06-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
darthfurby

darthfurby is on a distinguished road

Slumping Comic Sales

Due to slumping comics sales, desperate measures are taken!
darthfurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Morganza
Black Pyramid Studios

Morganza has disabled reputation

How does that improve sales?
Old 06-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #3
darthfurby

Odd strategy, isn't it? I think soda is trying to warn us that the comic industry is going to be a trainwreck. SODA!!! BLINK 3 TIMES IF THEY HAVE YOU PRISONER!!! HELP IS ON THE WAY!
Old 06-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
Bishop

Bishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud ofBishop has much to be proud of

I'm totally missing the joke here
Old 06-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
darthfurby

I also miss the joke and hope it comes back to say hello.

Made a slight revision to the soda can placement to help guide the eye a little better:
Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Product placement usually doesn't fly.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
darthfurby

True, flying might be this products desperate cry for attention.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #8
jeffchris50

jeffchris50 will become famous soon enoughjeffchris50 will become famous soon enough

I've actually started buying comics again after a very, very, very, VERY long sabbatical (like about 20 years give or take) and, to my surprise, there ARE some really great comics out there and some really stinky comics out there, much the same as it was back in the day. My biggest irritation with comics these days is the proliferation of not one, but multiple variant covers for the same book (which I have a tendency to be a sucker for, especially if the variants are by artists I really like). Oh, and paying anywhere from $4 to, in some cases $10, for a single book can be rather daunting and off-putting when trying to collect.
jeffchris50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 AM   #9
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

I basically only buy collected editions or graphic novels, you know full stories in one pop.
Usually with extra pages of sketches and cover too.
But that's a nz thing, cause damn hard to get signel issues here.

I think that there are some damn good creators right now, but I don't really read superhero stories.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
darthfurby

In America the comics industry crashed around the late 90’s due to publishing gimmicks that drove people away. I stopped collecting back then and never looked back. The industry has been shrinking ever since. These days I mainly listen to podcasts or youtube videos about comics while I draw or do other things.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #11
vinbat

vinbat is on a distinguished road

Interesting concept. I know product placement is seen as universally bad, but I think it COULD be worth taking a look at as a way to make sure more artists can make a living off this.

Obviously the suits will try for "Wow Batman, is that the 2021 Ford F-150? Sure is Robin, can't believe they managed to fit 400 horsepower in such a stylish frame." And maybe it is a slippery slope that can't be avoided, always leading to that no matter where it starts.

BUT

Comics always have phones, computers, cars, soda cans, coffee cups, streets and boulevards. People have, unfortunately, become numb to the almost ubiquitous logos around. A coffee cup is a Starbucks cup now, a phone is an iPhone now, a band-aid is actually a medicated adhesive strip, a McDonalds arch is every where you turn.

If you were to just put Ford badges on the cars that already exist on the street in your comic, or an Arch/mermaid logo thing on the storefront that already exists, or an apple on the phone your character is already holding, is it really that bad when the benefit could be additional artist income? (PUT THE TOMATO DOWN I'M ALMOST DONE)

I don't think it would ruin the user experience. Endgame had Tony Stark pull up in a glamour shot of whatever Audi that was, I don't think the movie suffered for it and Marvel got a big ole check from Audi for their troubles.

If my comic can reach more people and my artists can get paid more, I'm absolutely throwing a coke logo on the soda can. If only my comic wasn't set in the future...
vinbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
darthfurby

Vinbat you should be a DC comics exec, they agree with you :

Batman and Onstar driver safety and security software

Old 06-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #13
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

American comics decided to age with their readership and not go after new readers/ young readers.... From what I hear, if kids read anything, it's imported manga. Which probably has more quality all ages material. Marvel and DC seem very insular, plus expensive for just one short comic.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #14
vinbat

vinbat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Batman and Onstar driver safety and security software
Ha see now this is really, really bad. This is not what I'm talking about.

Tony Stark would absolutely splurge on the latest Audi, your rockband super heroes could use Fender guitars only, anyone in the world could have a coke can on their table. Ha but onstar? Onstar can't do anything that Alfred and Fox weren't already doing for Batman. Yikes.

Also, what is the overlap of Batman comic readers and new car buyers in need of subscription anti-theft services? Jeez if you are going to sell out, at least push something your target audience is interested in. I'll take that DC exec job now thank you.
vinbat is offline   Reply With Quote