Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Creator Community

Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Review sites?

I see the permanent thread above has a couple review sites listed, but.. there must be more than that.

Who out there is accepting self-published comics for review? And of those, which are the best?

Old 09-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
AustinHamblin

AustinHamblin is on a distinguished road

I am also interested. I had a lot of places say they would review my self published book but never did.
AustinHamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
Steven Forbes
Freelance Editor

Steven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud ofSteven Forbes has much to be proud of

The Creator-Owned Zone
Steven Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

It's been a while since I posted a review of a comic book (or anything, for that matter), but I am receptive to reviewing comic books over on the Ye Olde Comic Book Temple blog site.

http://comicbooktemple.blogspot.com/

I prefer that the comic book be in PDF format, though.

As a heads up, I've only done a few comic book reviews. Plus, the site doesn't get a lot of web traffic.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #5
TimR

TimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really niceTimR is just really nice

Thanks very much, I'll send to both those sites.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #6
Charles
New Hero

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really niceCharles is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinHamblin View Post
I am also interested. I had a lot of places say they would review my self published book but never did.
I'm running behind, but since you got yours in to me before Tim did, I did the review for the comic book that you sent to me, first. Sorry about the delay. Here's a link to the review that I did for it over on the Ye Old Comic Book Temple website:

The Adventures of Punk and Rock (Issue 1) from Hamblin Comics

TimR, I will get to your comic book, next. It likely won't be today, though, since I have to work, later this afternoon. I will post a link to the review, when I finish it, though.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
TimR

Thanks Charles, there's no hurry so take your time.

By the way, I "published" PGP on this site called Creatavist... It lets the pages be full screen, unlike on my blog where it is more cluttered. Still not too fancy I guess, but I felt like it gets the job done for anyone who is just trying to read the comic at a comfortable size.

https://creatavist-j4tkmq6.creatavis...dproject-f4mk0

Austin, those panels used in Charles' review look really good.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Charles
New Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR View Post
Thanks Charles, there's no hurry so take your time.
Here's a link to the review that I did for your comic book, Tim.

Parking Garage Planet (Issue # 1) from Peak Fun
Old 10-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
TonyKidd

TonyKidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here's a link to the review that I did for your comic book, Tim.

Parking Garage Planet (Issue # 1) from Peak Fun
Hmmm, these are good reviews. Youíre eloquent, tactful, and relatively thorough when it comes to the execution of constructive criticism. Is the lack of directing traffic to the page done on purpose because you are too busy with other things? For example, you have three links in your signature here and not one of them is to your review blog.

Your analysis may be invaluable in regard to what the creators could do differently with the next project, but the point is also to get exposure for the one they submitted. Even if the review isnít a particularly favorable one, something in your post might still catch a readerís interest and prompt further investigation. There are multiple reasons why a consumer might pick up a particular book. As a review blog, the more eyes on It, the better for the person submitting.

I forget exactly how I came across Comix Tribe, but it was most likely then not after researching independent comics in a Google search. However, once found there is a plethora of reasons to come back as part of a daily regimen. It's an incredible learning resource for creators and comic fans alike who just want to know more. Not to divert attention from The Creator-Owned Zone, but they only accept submissions from work already on sale. Perhaps your hook could be different.

This particular instance has made me more conscious of the fact that I should start paying more attention to signature links, especially when a poster has said something interesting. I freely admit that I, usually, get caught up in the actual purpose of the thread and often ignore the other information.
TonyKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Charles
New Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKidd View Post
Hmmm, these are good reviews. Youíre eloquent, tactful, and relatively thorough when it comes to the execution of constructive criticism. Is the lack of directing traffic to the page done on purpose because you are too busy with other things? For example, you have three links in your signature here and not one of them is to your review blog.

Your analysis may be invaluable in regard to what the creators could do differently with the next project, but the point is also to get exposure for the one they submitted. Even if the review isnít a particularly favorable one, something in your post might still catch a readerís interest and prompt further investigation. There are multiple reasons why a consumer might pick up a particular book. As a review blog, the more eyes on It, the better for the person submitting.

I forget exactly how I came across Comix Tribe, but it was most likely then not after researching independent comics in a Google search. However, once found there is a plethora of reasons to come back as part of a daily regimen. It's an incredible learning resource for creators and comic fans alike who just want to know more. Not to divert attention from The Creator-Owned Zone, but they only accept submissions from work already on sale. Perhaps your hook could be different.

This particular instance has made me more conscious of the fact that I should start paying more attention to signature links, especially when a poster has said something interesting. I freely admit that I, usually, get caught up in the actual purpose of the thread and often ignore the other information.
Sometimes, simple questions have complicated answers.

Technically, what you refer to as my "review blog" wasn't really conceived of as being a review blog. Currently, it only has a grand total of nineteen postings on it, in its entirety. That particular blog was created on a whim, as explained in the very first posting that I made on it.

Along the way, I began doing a few reviews of various comic books. The site has had some extended gaps in between postings. I did post about the blog's existence in a few places (at least two), a while back, but it wasn't what you might call a concerted effort to drive traffic to the site.

A lot of comic book sites try to drive traffic, as a way to boost their ability to make money, in some way, shape, or form. That blog of mine doesn't really try to sell anything, and as I don't adhere to a regular schedule for posting on it, the question begs to be asked: What's the point of driving traffic to a dead end?

I don't mind doing comic book reviews, although as with numerous other things, there never seems to be quite enough time available to make it a priority, of sorts. In this thread, there was some interest in someone reviewing a couple of comic books, so I thought that I would offer to try and do a review for them.

I understand your point about creators and exposure for their products, but I don't have a ready solution handy for those comic book creators who prefer outright exposure of their product to reviews. I can give them a link to the reviews that I write, but if they want exposure on large traffic comic book sites, then they might want to submit their comic books to those sites, instead. We live in an imperfect world, and I don't have a perfect solution to offer up, in order to resolve the dilemma that comic book creators face.

Me? I will write comic book reviews on the side, as time allows.

As far as what other sites do, such as The Creator-Owned Zone on Comix Tribe, that seems to be a dedicated review section. Maybe they simply allocate more time to comic books, and perhaps they make their comic book interest a higher priority amongst the competing demands for their time. Collectively, as a site, Comix Tribe strives to become an influential force within the comic book sector. Me? I'm just a guy with a blog created on a whim.

As far as my forum signature goes, it currently sits at three lines long. I just didn't have a desire to make it longer. I may even shorten it. Does it really need to be longer?

I appreciate your suggestion for what a possible "hook" for my blog site could be. But, a hook is intended to actively draw people in, isn't it? If I do, what then? How time-consuming would it become? If it becomes too time-consuming, then what?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Charles
New Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKidd View Post
For example, you have three links in your signature here and not one of them is to your review blog.
I revised the forum signature, and swapped out one link for the one to this comic book blog. Better?
Old 10-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
TonyKidd

TonyKidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I revised the forum signature, and swapped out one link for the one to this comic book blog. Better?
I see. So, the reviews were both a favor to the creators and a way to practice your analytical skills from time to time? Nothing wrong with that. If you're here giving feedback this thorough, you are very much part of the spirit Comix Tribe is trying to promote in regard to indie creation. I enjoyed the reviews and can imagine others would as well. As to how much time you put into it that's on you, but with your explanation I think I get it now. Best of luck.
TonyKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Kevinlearn
Kevin Learn

Kevinlearn is on a distinguished road

Great stuff Tim!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
TimR

Kevin- Thanks very much!

Charles- Thanks for the nice review, (just in case you did not see my comment on your blog itself.)

I like your review style, with lots of samples from the comic, and entertaining writing style.

Also "Ye Olde Comic Book Temple" is a pretty good blog name. I just think it should be said, for the record :- )
Old 12-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #15
Charles
New Hero

A couple of more recent reviews of comic book posted over on the Ye Olde Comic Book Temple blog site:

Unstoppable Origins # 4: The Origin of Dr. Zero

Interceptor # 1