Go Back   Digital Webbing Forums > Talent Engine > Sequential Art Showcase

Old 06-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
PhilL123

PhilL123 is on a distinguished road

Sequential Art - Critique Welcome

Hello everyone, I wanted to share some new pages. I made these pages for the DC Talent search this year. My goal was to write a short story and illustrate it. I penciled, inked, and colored it myself. Ultimately my goal is to be a penciler, so I think I will stick to just that with my future pages. It would be great to get to constructive feedback, I would like to get better at all aspects of comic book making. Thanks for your time!

If you are interested in more of my work my website can be found at philiplambertart.com
PhilL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #2
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Fun feel to these pages.
Not sure if DC or Marvel would go for this style, but it could work for an indie publisher.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
DJA

DJA will become famous soon enoughDJA will become famous soon enough

Yeah, like Sevens said. Fun style! The last panel's perspective work makes it look a little wonky.
DJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:37 AM   #4
Neil Allen

Neil Allen is on a distinguished road

I agree that it looks interesting, but I'm not sure DC and Marvel would go for this today (it does have somewhat of a Golden Age flavor to it to me, though). If you're looking to impress them, I'd tighten up the line work with straighter, more exacting lines with a less loose (casual) look. I'd also make the art more detailed. For example, there are a lot of bumps, shadows, and whatnot you could add to those whales. Or perhaps give more attention to detail.

Still, pretty cool looking.
Neil Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:21 AM   #5
sevans
www.sevans.co.nz

sevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to allsevans is a name known to all

Yeah, the instrument panels and buildings etc would have to have bang on perspective and straight lines to get Marvel / DC work.
Figures are usually more toned in the main two also.

https://sevans73.deviantart.com/gallery/

www.sevans.co.nz

www.darkarts.co.nz
sevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
PhilL123

PhilL123 is on a distinguished road

Awesome thanks for the feedback! My plan of attack is to just focus on pencils for awhile and I think that a lot of these edits can be cleared up there instead to trying to rush to do penciling, inking and then coloring. I think I can get a mot more detail that way and clear up some of the more technical things. Thanks again!
PhilL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
xiombarg

xiombarg is on a distinguished road

I would say forget the straight exacting lines stuff. I think you have a good thing going with your style, and any good editor shouldn't have a problem with that. There are too many 90s Image style artists as it is and if you follow that herd then you will lose what sets you apart, but just be sure to be consistent in how and when you use your line types. The two things I would say that might keep you from being seriously considered by DC would be tighter anatomy and the perspective on that last page. One thing you might want to do with your style is use shadows more, particularly with buildings. Using heavy shadows when you can will give a more serious look to certain panels that might otherwise come off as being overly cartoony, but without fundamentally changing your style.

Last edited by xiombarg; 06-09-2017 at 04:43 AM.
xiombarg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquaman, art, critic, pages, sequential